U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2011, 05:13 PM

2,907 posts, read 3,597,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
LOL...I gotta admit, I smiled a little when you called me 'hardnosed'...and you were there on the old 'men shouldn't cry' thread, when I laid it down about how I felt about that subject...I'm still here, though I don't post as much as I used to...I will still lay it out about how I feel, though---that part of my persona will NEVER chnage...

And to stay on-topic here...first a shout-out to Braunwyn---I got a little choked up reading about your brother, and like Northside, I give him huge props for dealing with the hand he was dealt...he sounds like the kind of guy I wouldn't have minded sharing a foxhole with (I'm ex-Army infantry) or taking a bullet for---and that comes straight from my heart

And to Chowhound...I've been there, man...when Catfish Sr passed away, I held it together all the days leading up to the funeral...but the night of, in the darkness, when I realized he was truly gone, I lost it...I'm talking deep, racking sobs...same as with my Mom---held it down up til the service, because I was trying to be 'the rock' for my siblings, nieces, and nephews...but once again, when I was alone, the enormity of her loss came crashing down---this was MOM after all---once again, I broke down...

This goes out to all who are here...everybody has their own separate, distinct way of dealing with emotion, and Northside is spot-dead-on when he says a lot of men (myself included) were raised to not cry...but I say this again, and Northside knows how I stand on this---I'm sorry, but if something moves me (say for instance a sibling or my MIL or wife passing away, or even at a movie or TV show that struck a chord in me) then the rule book goes out the window, and I will cry...and not be one iota LESS of a man for having done so...

That 'rule' sometimes makes as much sense to me as these cats who have those chrome or plastic 'nards' hanging from their trucks...real men don't have to beat their chests and holler 'I'm a mannnn!' at the top of their lungs...if you carry yourself a certain way, then people will KNOW you're a man, and you shouldn't have to advertise
In my Tim Allen voice....I'm a man, hear me roar! *Beats chest and grunts* It's acceptable for a man to cry at the loss of one or both parents, especially if they helped you be the person you are today. When you lose your mother, that hurts. That's the lady who sets the bar for the kind of woman you want to be with in the future. She took up for you even if you were dead wrong. I will keep it real and to hell with whoever doesn't like it: I will definitely shed the waterworks if/when I have the opportunity to walk my niece(s) or my daughter (if I have one) down the aisle. If something really touches me to my core, I'll shed a tear depending on how moving the act is. The most hardcore of men do cry; it takes something really moving to get them to that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 05:15 PM

38 posts, read 36,937 times
Clint here. I mostly cry before sex.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 PM

2,907 posts, read 3,597,803 times
On a lighter note, seeniorita makes me cry because she is so doggone sexxy.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:52 PM

675 posts, read 714,449 times
My DH cries when he watches Extreme Makeover-Home Edition...

Old 08-01-2011, 05:59 PM

16,057 posts, read 7,986,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Oh no! If you had told me - I would have done the crying for you.
Oh the pain was horrific. I'm sure had I been anyone else I would have balled my eyes out. Once I felt 3 guys hitting me on my left side and my leg started to bend and pop multiple times in my knee I knew something bad happened. And I still tried standing up to get back into the play. All I could do was hop to the side lines with one guy kind of holding my arm as leverage, so I could tell the doctor that my knee had ballooned to 3 times its size in about 2 minutes. All he could say was 'Yup, that's bad, here's some ice for it"

Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM

9,615 posts, read 5,199,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny how? View Post
Oh, no, are they showing Little House on the prairie reruns again??

Turn that thing off!!

Best show of the 1970's!

That little show dipicted genuine masculine qualities of yesteryear (once taught in the home) such as: excellent work ethic, loyalty to family/neighbors/friends, resolve to make it without renigging on a bank debt, personal loans (your word was your bond) etc., etc.

And yes, tears were written in every once in awhile. Why? Because REAL men can and will shed a tear or two every now and then with/for good reason.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:13 PM

28,114 posts, read 23,015,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton Brogain View Post
Clint here. I mostly cry before sex.
Ah, yes...we forgot to mention those...tears of gratitude.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:42 PM

1,321 posts, read 985,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
When I tore ligaments in my knee, I didn't cry or curse, all I could think of was any chance I had at a scholarship was gone.

I didn't say much that night.
Pessimist.

I didn't have that reaction until my other knee got destroyed.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:29 PM

5,133 posts, read 7,259,240 times
Every time I hit him....it's strange.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:40 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,653,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No...I have not cried from pain since I was a kid. And I rarely see adult patients cry from physical pain. In fact, it's so rare that when someone is crying, I suspect acting.

Which makes me think kids cry more from fear than pain.
I do think it's fear, not pain. IDK. When I broke my wrist I didn't cry I just swore a bunch and wondered what kind of damn fool breaks his wrist while snowboarding on a bunny hill :P when I had to get an abscess biopsied without anesthesia it hurt like hell and I think I shed some tears but it wasn't crying so much as just reactive tearing. When I had appendicitis it was the same thing because it hurt like hell and I was worried my appendix would burst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships