Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
In 1995, the Minneapolis City Works Department received a complaint from a woman who said that she had been subjected to "offensive staring" from city workers. The department enacted a code of conduct in regards to "ogling". The city even developed (and was rightly made fun of for doing so) an "8-second rule": you could look (ogle) for 8 seconds of less, but if you looked for over 8 seconds, you could face discipline. I haven't heard anything about the rule since. To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever been disciplined for excessive ogling.

Barbara Brotman, a Chicago Tribune columnist wrote this:

Ogling Is Offensive (or A Compliment) - Sun Sentinel

I imagine this sums-up how most women truly feel about the matter.
Visual harassment. Most ridiculous thing I've heard all day. This country has some of the stupidest rules in the world. People don't like something, and they want it banned or some absurd rule implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 07:05 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I stare at booties. A nice booty in a pair of tight workout pants can sometimes memorize me. Has nothing to do with scoring young man.

If it looks good, I'm a staring.
Oh yeah nothing like a nice round sexy butt.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:10 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,084,211 times
Men stare because they have tunnel vision compared to women. Women have a natural wider periferal vision thus they don't have to appear to be looking right at something to be watching it. A man can train himself to have a wider field, however. Theories abound as to why this is. Hunters needed to fucus, child rearers needed to be able to watch out of the corner of their eye. Basically it means a man will focus in on your boobs, while you can appear to be looking away and checkin his package at the same time! It also helps women feel superior because this is at least the millionth time a thread about this has been posted on the net.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I don't mind being looked at. I look good so I expect people of all types to look or gaze.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:22 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Men are simple creatures.

One time I was on sitting in the car with my SO, we were in a parking lot and I was getting ready to go inside and grab a couple of things.

While I was on the phone this rather large breasted woman was bouncing, er, I mean walking out of the store it apparently caught my attention and I was staring for a little longer than I should have...

I was distracted by my cell phone... I mean come on, give a guy a break.

Mrs. Chow just gave me once of these looks

Old 07-30-2011, 07:24 PM

Wow! That is an inspirational story. Did you have a pup tent going on in your khaki pants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

One time I was on sitting in the car with my SO, we were in a parking lot and I was getting ready to go inside and grab a couple of things.

While I was on the phone this rather large breasted woman was bouncing, er, I mean walking out of the store it apparently caught my attention and I was staring for a little longer than I should have...

Old 07-30-2011, 07:27 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
In my experience, if a married (or "taken") man is over 30 and still drooling obsessively over other women when they're in the presence of their S.O., they're not getting it on a constant basis. My husband gets it all the time and he has never leered at other women. Why? Because he's not a low class pile of garbage that disrespects his wife and because he gets it whenever he wants.

Men (or women) who leer at other people when they're in the company of their lover are rude, classless losers. No excuse for it.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:32 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
And I love all this crap that "men are visual creatures," as if that's an inherent excuse for leering at hotties when you're with your woman. Psst... women are "visual creatures" too. I teach 20-26 year old students 10 months of the year. I'm happily married, but some of these guys are smokin' hot. I don't leer, stare, flirt or do anything but passively lust after them for a few seconds. I appreciate their youth, virility and beauty, that's it.

And if my husband was around, I wouldn't pay these young studs the time of day.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Should you be "lusting" after your students?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
And I love all this crap that "men are visual creatures," as if that's an inherent excuse for leering at hotties when you're with your woman. Psst... women are "visual creatures" too. I teach 20-26 year old students 10 months of the year. I'm happily married, but some of these guys are smokin' hot. I don't leer, stare, flirt or do anything but passively lust after them for a few seconds. I appreciate their youth, virility and beauty, that's it.

And if my husband was around, I wouldn't pay these young studs the time of day.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:36 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Ahem...I hate to do this, but for those who appreciate the truth, here is the actual account of the incident, which I posted in 2009:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/8515314-post47.html

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 07-30-2011 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: Had to add a smiley to signify the joke...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships