Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:02 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I was making a point with my post. Men and women want the same things, we just go about it in a different way. We all seek acceptance for who we are, someone we're attracted to, financial security, great sex, health, happiness, etc.
Agreed. A few people have said "to love and be loved in return," and I think that is true of most of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 05:25 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,979 times
A humorous response to optiflex' post:

I once wanted a Mercedes-Benz 450sl

And got an RX7 Mazda for my birthday instead, from my "better half..."

On a more serious note, simple wants are more likely to be granted...such as to be happy and content in life provided...you work towards achieving this goal.

Last edited by ans57; 08-04-2011 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 PM

530 posts, read 779,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post

As for what *I* want, I want a clean, comfortable house; healthy, happy children; money in the bank; food on the table; and sex every night with the man I love for the rest of my life.

What? Are you serious? What an irrational, irresponsible, illogical statement to make!

I mean, not only are you falsly suggesting that there are actually women out there who want sex every day, but you are also perpetrating this "false hope" myth to men everywhere!!

And all I can say is.....Thank you!! And God bless you.
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 PM

3,085 posts, read 7,249,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSnook View Post
Saying women want to be beautiful is like saying men want to be 6'3" and packing heat down below. To some extent it's true but there's no point in dwelling over things we have no control over.

Women want to be appreciated. Men want to be admired.
I disagree. Guys wouldnt mind being short and having an average sized dick. As long as they are getting laid they are fine.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 PM

48,524 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Gawd, if i knew I would tell you. Half the time I can't figure it out!

Old 08-04-2011, 09:39 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,648,778 times
I want my own money
I want to get married
I want someone that understands me
I want someone who shares my beliefs both in terms of religion and politics
I want someone romantic
I want someone with dark eyes and dark hair, tanned skin
I want someone a little taller than me but not too tall
I like the lean body type not super muscular
I want someone who wants to travel with me!
Last but not least, I want a CF man!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:49 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,012,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I was making a point with my post. Men and women want the same things, we just go about it in a different way. We all seek acceptance for who we are, someone we're attracted to, financial security, great sex, health, happiness, etc.
Men and women are not so different, its something that is hard to fully understand until you get older. Not that you're old.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:16 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I disagree. Guys wouldnt mind being short and having an average sized dick. As long as they are getting laid they are fine.
Which is why I said "to some extent", which means that not all guys feel that way and some guys don't completely feel that way

Old 08-06-2011, 07:17 AM

286 posts, read 366,494 times
Quote:
I'm not a fan of the alpha/beta male dichotomy. We're not pack animals. I think the theory is oversimplified, and I especially do not follow turning the theory upside down to indicate that "alphas" are wild and free while "betas" are domesticated and trapped. Alphas breed and pass on their genes, so men who voluntarily take themselves out of the gene pool are not alphas.

Alpha/beta, stud/provider ... it's not either/or. Women can have a stud AND a provider in the same man, just like a man can have a virtuous, respectable wife who's a handful in the bedroom. When people believe that everyone fits into little boxes,
It's not that people believe everyone fits into little boxes. It's that we make observations of what's going on around us, and then we use language to describe it. Many young people have made the observation (in many cases eyewitness, e.g., roommates) that a small minority of young men attract (and have, sexually) large numbers of young women, maybe several new ones per month or even per week, while the majority of men attract only a small fraction of that. The word "alpha" is a convenient term to describe the former, and "beta" is a convenient term for the guys who have to find other ways to get by. These words do not create dichotomy. It's the qualities and behaviors of the men and women in question, as we have observed, that lead us to notice differences between different people. While you might question the wording we use to describe this, the fact is that the behaviors are still there.

"Alpha" isn't a box any more than the words "celebrity", "famous", "popular", or "weird". We need words in order to discuss the happenings of life. That's called "language".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans63 View Post
What's also interesting is that all their responses about what they want in men sound like the exact definition of "beta male", despite the widespread observation that the "alpha males" have far better results in terms of attracting women. So, clearly, women are leaving something out of their response.
Quote:
Not all of them. Here were a couple on the first page:
Yes, some women said they want to "get laid". What they didn't say is what kind of guy they want for that specific purpose, so that leaves us guessing. Those of us who have made the above-mentioned observations can legitimately infer that there is some relationship between the qualities "alpha" guys are often observed to have, and the disproportionate number of young women who choose them over other guys for the purpose of getting laid, especially in causal situations. Furthermore, they also didn't say whether there's a difference between the kind of guy they want to get laid with in a casual situation vs. the kind of guy they want to get laid with for the purpose of a serious relationship (and many women undergo a "switch" from party-girl phase to serious phase, at that time switching to a different kind of guy, or so we have observed -- which, again, is a dichotomy in behavior, not in wording or theorizing). Most women seem to have an extreme reluctance to talk about their preferences in these matters, so that leaves us to infer their preferences from observing their behaviors.

Therefore, I stand by my point that women left something out of their responses. I tried to help fill in the blanks by relating that to something in the original post (that women want to feel beautiful, and maybe bagging an alpha is one way to get that validation). If someone can fill in the blanks better than I did, feel free to try. It may help further the discussion of "what do women want."

Last edited by Hans63; 08-06-2011 at 08:46 AM..

Old 08-06-2011, 10:26 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Hans - it seems that you are equating what women want during the the period where they are "sowing their wild oats" to what women want out of life.

I agree with the other posters - most men and women ultimately want the same thing out of life. People want to be happy. What makes people happy? Well - that depends on the person, not the gender. But for most people - that would be to find someone to grow old with, a purpose in life to give their life meaning - whether that be a great career, raising a family, furthering a cause, etc., stability, a happy home, a great family, etc.

When I was in college and dating lots of guys - I was having fun. Almost all the guys I dated were nice guys. Did I sometimes make out with a random guy at a party - sure. Were those guys nice guys? Who the heck knows! Then again - was I a nice girl? Probably not in the same way that I am today. But that was just one brief phase in my life and has no correlation to what I ultimately want out of life and what will ulitmately make me happy.

Do I want to feel beautiful? Sure. I mean, I think everybody wants to feel attractive. You don't hear anyone saying - boy, I sure wish I felt ugly! But beauty alone will not make someone a happy person. And over the years - beauty will fade and if that's all you have, then you will be left with nothing. And when you find the right person - they will make you feel more beautiful than sleeping with a million "alpha males" - as you put it. Is my husband an alpha or a beta - who the heck knows and who the heck cares! He's the right man for me and that's all I care about.

But like I said - ultimately, men and women basically want the same things. And I think the real trick to happiness is finding a partner who wants the same things out of life that you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships