U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 AM

12,919 posts, read 11,543,761 times
Default Changing Society

This could be a political thread, however, I do not wish it to go that way, since our decissions and actions affect the lives of so many others, I'd like this to remain all about relationships....

another thread which was posted reminded me of this very subject.
It's about societies outlook on life, and how people turn out.

For instance, crime....

If a person is raised by parents who rob and steel to get by, and live in an area, where there is really no emphasis on education...where people drink a lot, do drugs...chances are, the children who come out of that particular society will be the same way...

If a person is raised by parents, who totally depend on welfare, and do nothing to get a job and make it on they're own, then chances are, the children of that parent, will be a welfare participent dependent on welfare the rest of they're lives.

If a person is raised in an abusive atmosphere, where they are constantly put down, told they're no good, hit and yelled at a lot, chances are, that child is not only going to grow up very insecure, but will be extremely angry, negative, and may even raise they're own children like that.

If a person is raised by confident parents, where there is trust in the family, consequenses for bad behavior, and the parents are articulate, caring and live they're lives by example, then the chances that will carry on thru they're children are pretty good.

So, my question is, and I repeat, please no political comments...
then how do we change society...how do we realize, that our thoughts and actions effect the lives of so many others....how do we get back to carrying about our neighborhood, knowing each other, and taking responsiblity for our own mistakes....?

I think and hope this will serve as a very good discussion thread....
Please note, not everyone who comes from a dysfunctional home turns out dysfunctional...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 10:07 AM

8,256 posts, read 5,462,915 times
I don't think you can change society for the better. I believe we are seeing the decline of America and along with it other Westernised countries. You can trace a pattern through history of empires that have risen and fallen and they have all started from within. Greed and capitalism.

Will Durant said, 'Civilization begins with order, grows with liberty and dies with chaos.'

He also said, 'A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.'

Old 08-04-2011, 10:20 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,183,249 times
Thanks for bringing this up

I was thinking the same thing after reading a news article where this teenager stole a dead baby's funeral funds. What has our society become?

I believe that each individual and his/her actions can make a positive difference. So first, good behavior/manners starts in the home and with your family and friends. By being a good person, hopefully you can be a positive influence on someone else. Maybe I'm just being naive....

Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 AM

8,256 posts, read 5,462,915 times
The mores of a society are interesting in the way they develop. Modern society has become so very individualistic that the cohesiveness of communities is disintegrating. The fact people are so mobile also changes the way roots are established. If you don't think you'll be staying in one place for a very long time you don't bother getting to know your neighbours, you have no real vested interest in the community you live in.

All we can do is be the change we want to see, but in reality I don't think we can do much to stem the tide.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 3,644 times
I disagree. Because even though their parents do bad things chances are that the child won't turn out the same way are rare. But take me for instance, abused by my parents, I'm never negative only when its necessary. Like a very high roller coaster I'll say hey lets not go on it. I'm mean other than that I'm just a positive person because I get the negativity at home so why need more? And yea, I used to be abusive to my ex boyfriend while we were dating but I saw how bad it was and I didn't want to be like my parents so I just stopped and started kissing him and all that other stuff instead of being abusive and rude. People can change, you know?

Old 08-04-2011, 11:06 AM

12,890 posts, read 12,304,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
... All we can do is be the change we want to see, but in reality I don't think we can do much to stem the tide.
The tides are a natural phenomenon; a fool tries to change them while a wise man learns to live with them.

Society by it's very nature is a constantly-changing entity, like the tides. Who are we to consciously decide to change something because we don't like it? What if it's that way for a reason, one unknown to us?

Hubris. Still in town and still deadly.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 AM

12,722 posts, read 8,542,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
This could be a political thread, however, I do not wish it to go that way, since our decissions and actions affect the lives of so many others, I'd like this to remain all about relationships....

another thread which was posted reminded me of this very subject.
It's about societies outlook on life, and how people turn out.

For instance, crime....

If a person is raised by parents who rob and steel to get by, and live in an area, where there is really no emphasis on education...where people drink a lot, do drugs...chances are, the children who come out of that particular society will be the same way...

If a person is raised by parents, who totally depend on welfare, and do nothing to get a job and make it on they're own, then chances are, the children of that parent, will be a welfare participent dependent on welfare the rest of they're lives.

If a person is raised in an abusive atmosphere, where they are constantly put down, told they're no good, hit and yelled at a lot, chances are, that child is not only going to grow up very insecure, but will be extremely angry, negative, and may even raise they're own children like that.

If a person is raised by confident parents, where there is trust in the family, consequenses for bad behavior, and the parents are articulate, caring and live they're lives by example, then the chances that will carry on thru they're children are pretty good.

then how do we change society...how do we realize, that our thoughts and actions effect the lives of so many others....how do we get back to carrying about our neighborhood, knowing each other, and taking responsiblity for our own mistakes....?

I think and hope this will serve as a very good discussion thread....
Please note, not everyone who comes from a dysfunctional home turns out dysfunctional...
Basically it all starts at home.

If you have lousy parents, and nobody intervenes to show you another point of view, then you could be doomed. There are some people who knew they came from a dysfunctional home but had the common sense to know that the life they were born into isn't the best life for them and they improved themselves with education (studying and socially).

On the other hand, there are people who had the best start in life and they were too headstrong to listen to anyone tell them they are on a wrong path, and they have to live out their hard knocks on their own.

Life is very much about choices. We are in control of our own destiny because of the choices we make.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:35 AM

1,783 posts, read 1,996,909 times
I'm not so convinced things are much different now than they used to be 50+ years ago, in most respects. Obviously some things are very different.

But those things the OP mentioned aren't as much different as they are exposed to the general public. Awful things we hear about on the news or read online used to be swept under the rug and only gossiped about by immediate friends/family/neighbors. Now we hear about terrible things without even seeking it. But are things really much worse now? I haven't been around long enough to say for sure, but I see a lot of things we do better now than we did 50 years ago, especially in the realm of race, gender, and sexual orientation.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:39 AM

12,919 posts, read 11,543,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I don't think you can change society for the better. I believe we are seeing the decline of America and along with it other Westernised countries. You can trace a pattern through history of empires that have risen and fallen and they have all started from within. Greed and capitalism.

Will Durant said, 'Civilization begins with order, grows with liberty and dies with chaos.'

He also said, 'A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.'

Hello Djuna, thanks so much for your post...
I disagree, I think you can change society, if we teach children from little on up...we can certainly teach them to be criminals, or welfare recipients, or to take advantage of society's systems, can we not, and if so, then we can teach society to be generally concerned with they're actions.

Yanno, I bet, if you took a poll, a lot of people don't even consider awareness of how we effect the lives of others, or the ripple down effect of decissions.

since we have become individualists...well, frankly, nobody cares, which means, people today, that are in the positions they are in, really don't know anything about being cost effective...they all hire consultants to do they're work? And since consultants, most of the time, do not have hands on experience, they go by what they learned in a book, which isn't always cost effective.

So, my point is, if society really wanted change, they could...but in order for that to happen, we have to fall before we grow again...as is the way in everything.

There is an old saying, and I don't know who said it, but it's....

If your leaders are corrupt, so will your people be...and it goes much deeper then that...it's also in the genes...

Moral education is most important...and in order to change society, we'd have to start with the kids...in school...and teach them awareness...which would be so valuable at such an early age.

We'd have to also teach them, that, you don't have to be married to be successful and that a lot of people get married for all the wrong reasons...we'd have to teach them how to observe, and evaluate...but wouldn't it be a wonderful thing. They would have to know, that what they do, what they say and how they react to situations, is not only about them, but will effect so many people.

I'm sure a juvinial criminal, doesn't think about his mother's face and how hurt she would be, if she were with him right now, watching him point a gun at someone and threaten to either be killed or hand over the money.

I guess what I'm suggesting is, we have not progressed as a society, but regressed...and there are so many reasons why.

What happened years ago, is a few teachers crossed over the line, and hurt some kids, either with abuse or molestation...and since then, they have lost control of the kids...and parents today, certainly do not train they're kids, some of them don't even want to deal with discipline...and the culture that will rule this world tomorrow, well, I'm glad I won't be around.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:45 AM

12,722 posts, read 8,542,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
If someone doesn't respect himself how can anyone expect them to show respect to others around them?

It begins at home. You learn by example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships