Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 08:46 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

EVERY couple who is getting serious (or just every person who needs some personal insight) needs to read and do the questionaire in The Five Love Languages. Holy crap, that explains so freakin' much. Genius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 09:05 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
EVERY couple who is getting serious (or just every person who needs some personal insight) needs to read and do the questionaire in The Five Love Languages. Holy crap, that explains so freakin' much. Genius.

I agree with you, it really opened my eyes.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:30 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
My best relationship advice came from my wacky, wild Grandmother: she worked as a prostitute for 20 years, was married 10 times (9 of her husbands died under suspicious circumstances), the last one she's still married to, but he always looks so drop-dead tired! Can fall asleep right during the middle of uttering a sentence! Sex-sex-sex was all she could think about! My poor Grampa!

And he knows from history, if he doesn't give it to her......................!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:37 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My best relationship advice came from my wacky, wild Grandmother: she worked as a prostitute for 20 years, was married 10 times (9 of her husbands died under suspicious circumstances), the last one she's still married to, but he always looks so drop-dead tired! Can fall asleep right during the middle of uttering a sentence! Sex-sex-sex was all she could think about! My poor Grampa!

And he knows from history, if he doesn't give it to her......................!

So what was the advice?

Old 08-13-2011, 10:18 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
When your partner slowly/suddenly loses interest in having sex with you, shoot em between the eyes! Twice!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:58 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When your partner slowly/suddenly loses interest in having sex with you, shoot em between the eyes! Twice!
I got some interesting relationship advice from an uncle.

It's called the three "F"s

It it flys - floats - or f*cks, lease it, don't buy.

He was a pilot, fisherman and liked women. The lease option has left him with alot more money in his old age than he would have if he had ever purchased any of those things.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:06 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
The advice I heard too late and may not have paid any attention to it when I was young is:
Don't marry the youngest sibling, she has been spoiled all her life and if you don't continue to spoil her, she will make your life miserable. This goes right along with "don't marry a woman who's mother is someone you couldn't or wouldn't want to be married to, because she could be just like her mother". I better stop here...

Old 08-14-2011, 02:37 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
This is to piggyback on another thread, talking about the worst relationship advice. Here is mine

- When a man loves you, you'll know. When he doesn't, you'd be confused. Every.single.time I have been confused in a relationship, the man did not love me. Every time.

-The Rules- Now this book usually gets a bad rap and I am not saying I listen to every single advice (too strict). But, it works for me. Every single time I initiate contact with a guy or do too much for a guy, it never works. When I ignore a guy or play hard too get, it works like a charm. However, I must say that it probably works on a certain type of guy... the alpha guy I am most attracted to. This probably won't work on a beta male.

-He is just not that into you- This is self explanatory. Basically if you have to rack your brain or make excuses for a guy, HE IS JUST NOT THAT INTO YOU.

Now even though I am aware of these things, I slip occasionally, particularly when I meet a devastatingly handsome guy. Let's just say I temporarily lose my mind. I am wondering if I need to tattoo these pointers on me so I don't forget.

What are yours?
1. Is He Mr. Right? by Mira Kirshenbaum. Written for straignt women, but 90% is applicable to anyone. I am convinced most of us are clueless about how to look for a mate. I would make this book required reading for high school graduation if I could.

2. I also second The 7 Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:56 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,791,405 times
"I understand about indecision
But I don't care if I get behind
People livin' in competition
All I want is to have my peace of mind."

- Boston (Peace of Mind)

Old 08-14-2011, 10:07 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Are You the One for Me by Barbara DeAngelis. Cuts through the myths and nonsense to get to the core of compatibility.
I have to admit I don't have a lot of respect for Barbara DeAngelis. She's been married around 4 times. I read the book a long time ago, and it had some good stuff, but much better stuff has been written since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships