Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 10:23 AM

11 posts, read 19,818 times

Advertisements

If anyone in Houston, TX has gone thru the divorce process by either hiring a lawyer or used mediation services could tell me which would be the better choice taking into consideration price for either a lawyer or a mediator and quality of service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 12:53 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,682,605 times
Is it amicable thus far? If so you might be able to use a mediator. Otherwise lawyer up.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:28 PM

936 posts, read 2,057,111 times
Screw them! Since when are these choices mutually exclusive? Do both--go to mediation to buy time while you look for a lawyer.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:48 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,008,305 times
See a lawyer and get the full lowdown on what you face. Do it immediately and only then act. Mediation may or may not be a good option. On a more personal level I have been there recently myself, I don't pretend to know what you are going through but I know it is hard, good luck.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:02 AM

11 posts, read 19,818 times
Default Hell hath no fury like the fury of a woman's scorn

Thanks crabman, but at this time I feel like I am standing up on a canoe. That is, either way I sway could be that I will end up underwater. Don't want to be demanding but then again don't want to give in to all her demands. It does seem like women have the upper hand when it comes to divorce. I guess cuz Texas is a community state. I did lawyer up cuz of impending doom factor. Just the fact that it takes 60 days before the case comes to docket before being heard in front of a judge who will determine if there is fault in the marriage. We will see what happens. Thanks for all the advice, I can sure use it about now.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:44 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,008,305 times
A couple points in general. Do not despair. Do not give in to hate. Try as best you can not to give in to anger and frustration, at this you will likely fail in some cases unless you be a better man than I found myself to be. Try as best you can to be fair but do not let her walk on you. You will come to find that all that little shrapnel is expensive to replace, get your fair share.

In general I have lived my life trying to be the best man I could be and while I wasn't always the best and I made mistakes I could always lay down at night and sleep. I'm saying this because divorce brought out the very worst in me and it was a constant struggle for me to avoid becoming what I despise. I am so glad now that I did not, I would have always regretted it. A new day will come for you if you do not lock yourself away in bitterness and anger. Believe it.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:19 PM

36,226 posts, read 30,664,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual cowboy View Post
Thanks crabman, but at this time I feel like I am standing up on a canoe. That is, either way I sway could be that I will end up underwater. Don't want to be demanding but then again don't want to give in to all her demands. It does seem like women have the upper hand when it comes to divorce. I guess cuz Texas is a community state. I did lawyer up cuz of impending doom factor. Just the fact that it takes 60 days before the case comes to docket before being heard in front of a judge who will determine if there is fault in the marriage. We will see what happens. Thanks for all the advice, I can sure use it about now.
It is my understanding Texas is a no fault state and therefore you do not need a judge to determine fault, unless you are filing a fault divorce.

My advice would be to try to work out an agreement together then go to a mediator and make it official. Your attorneys can write it up and file it with the court. Often couples are required to go to mediation to come to an agreement on seperation of assests before anything ever gets to court. Usually, unless a couple fights and bickers and can not come to an agreement, divorce cases never go before a judge for anything other than to grant the final decree.

Having the upper hand has nothing to do with gender but who has the better attorney and who is pro active in the divorce.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:17 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,970,145 times
This is the same advice I would give to anyone, male or female. Do it yourself! If you don't, the only people who will walk away with full pockets are the lawyers. You and your ex will suffer more and benefit less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships