Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 03:57 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times

Advertisements

Procrastination.

My ONE flaw. ()

Anyone remember back to psych classes just why some of us are like this? I cannot get what the payoff is....delay something important I don't want to do....but it still must be done later! (Same goes for less important things...)

Give me your best thoughts on how to change and why you think I choose to act (or not) in this way!!

OH and someone will ask just for examples..so: with enough $ in the bank, I will just let the bills pile up on my desk and just look at them for a week or two..then when there is enough to warrant me sitting down and doing some work, I will do it. By then some of them are LATE.

NOW you all finally know I am not as sane as I might appear on CD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 04:12 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
I tend to procrastinate, too. Sometimes I need the pressure of a pending deadline to get me going! The pressure increases as the time gets closer, but I usually know that I can finish even if I delay, so there's little incentive to start sooner. The only times I can reliably get things done early is when there's something I'd rather do later anyway. If I can get interested or deeply involved in a project, I can work at it relentlessly for extended periods of time, but most things don't capture my imagination to that degree.

So far, it has all worked out fine. I will be interested to see other's suggestions, though, as it would be nice to have better control over this behavior.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:49 PM

530 posts, read 779,338 times
Well, since they say that being a procrastinator isn't really being lazy, I guess I can't call you a lazy son of a bi*ch than!

It's supposed to be something you may really want to do but are refraining purely out of hesitation/fear. Deal with any fears?

Self-disipline. Keep your mind focused on the reward you'll receive by reaching your goals. Not always so easy obviously.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:18 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
As of this post I have procrastinated 5,949 times since December 12, 2009. But look at those stars!

Old 08-12-2011, 05:47 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
OH Yzette, LOL!!!!!

That was so funny.....you DO have a lot of stars....

now that I think of it, I would much rather play around on CD than pay bills, make routine but boring phone calls etc.

Thanks for helping me feel better. A bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
As of this post I have procrastinated 5,949 times since December 12, 2009. But look at those stars!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,761 times
Look up OCD. Do you have problems with compulsions? Depression? Does any term match up with the how of your procrastination?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:34 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,772,216 times
I have learned, that my basis for procrastination is fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of being ridiculed. Fear can cause us to give up before we even get started, so we avoid addressing the challenge and thus we feed our fear and the result is to procrastinate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships