U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:14 AM

794 posts, read 1,492,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I never subscribed to any dating site, but I have looked through a bunch of profiles just to see what kind of girls are out there. I was surprised to see that there were a lot of girls who looked extremely attractive in their photos and a lot of them had a college degree. What I don't understand is why women like that would ever need to resort to online dating. They shouldn't have any problem meeting a guy outside of the internet. It makes me a little suspicious.
I've thought about this before and trust me you do have reason to be suspicious. All this talk about them not having time to date and not getting hit on is BS. Attractive women get hit on or asked out all the time, they're hit on at the gas station, at the post office, at the grocery store, school, gatherings etc.
The thing is, these women are stuck up snobs that don't think any these guys are good enough for them. The will always find some lame excuse for why he's not "the one".

I was once on POF and I saw this great looking girl probably the best looking of all and she was on the site dam near every day for about a year. I asked her why she didn't find anyone yet and she said she didn't know. She probably got about 10,000 replies and went on 100 dates in that time frame and still no one was good enough for her. It's this obsession for the "prefect man" that doesn't exist that they continually search for obsessively to no end.

That and some just go on to collect compliments and get attention for validation points. Which in someways is actually even more obnoxious. IMO, attractive women with no baggage shouldn't ever need to use Internet dating, if they do something is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 08:22 AM

2,618 posts, read 5,280,271 times
Quote:
I never subscribed to any dating site, but I have looked through a bunch of profiles just to see what kind of girls are out there. I was surprised to see that there were a lot of girls who looked extremely attractive in their photos and a lot of them had a college degree. What I don't understand is why women like that would ever need to resort to online dating. They shouldn't have any problem meeting a guy outside of the internet. It makes me a little suspicious.
You have every right to be suspicious dude, there's a GOOD REASON they are online looking for someone. We won't know all the details about her, but we do know this: the options around her aren't working out for her.

Now this could be attributed to many things, it could be she is very picky and none of the men in her day to day life are "doing it for her", she maybe has poor judge in character thus dated many jerks and blames her environment so she's trying to expand her horizon to more potential options (but typically these women will eventually blame online dating as being filled with only players and jerks at some point as well). Some women have bad reputations within their social circles as being a rumored "easy" woman or has been sleeping around, or maybe she has a reputation of being a bad person. Maybe she dated a guy and broke his heart and she lost all her friends because of it (this happens quite a bit actually). In the case of my ex gf, she had just tried online dating for the first time when she met me, and I realized part way through it's because she is too insecure to be single. Some people just aren't comfortable with themselves and they feel like they HAVE to be with someone to be happy or even feel sane. Online dating is a quick fix for women like that.

There's many reasons, and when online dating I try not to go for the most attractive women with the best photos as I've been pleasantly surprised by the beauty of some women I've met who didn't have the best photos. Let the other hundreds of guys go after the hot pictures, I'll look for more important qualities that will last much longer than a pretty face.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:28 AM

400 posts, read 702,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
Not if the guy is an Alpha, Hunter and likes to ask women out. Doing this will be an instant turn off to him. No thank you
I'm just going to come out and say it. This is just a lie women tell themselves so they can preserve the status quo of being entirely passive and never having to risk outright rejection.

But I'll play. Let's say he's an "Alpha Hunter" (whatever that is) and isn't asking the woman who badly wants him too.

Her choices are to:
1) Ask him out and instantly turn him off
2) Sit on her behind and never get asked out

I don't really see two different outcomes there.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:34 AM

400 posts, read 702,204 times
A lot of judgment for online dating still...from people that frequent and online forum about relationships. :P

Online dating lets you easily meet people that aren't part of your immediate social circles. There are A LOT of people that aren't part of your immediate social circle, why toss them out and hobble yourself into only finding a mate from the same handful of people you've already met before? People are saying there are a lot of crazy or unstable people on there...those are the same people that are in the grocery store or the book store or probably your circle of friends! Don't tell me you guys have never met a woman with issues before the internet was invented.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:45 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,716,654 times
Quote:

Do you mean dating sites should be for "ugly uneducated" people only???

Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,444,029 times
Quote:

Just because something looks good, doesn't mean it is good.

But one of the first things I did last year after a breakup was make a couple online dating profiles to check out how the sites were, maybe meet someone romantically or friendship wise, get some good energy going with compliments from strangers, have some fun flirting etc.

In the end I found a person IRL that I clicked with instead. I didn't spend much time on the sites.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,084,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
I'm just going to come out and say it. This is just a lie women tell themselves so they can preserve the status quo of being entirely passive and never having to risk outright rejection.

But I'll play. Let's say he's an "Alpha Hunter" (whatever that is) and isn't asking the woman who badly wants him too.

Her choices are to:
1) Ask him out and instantly turn him off
2) Sit on her behind and never get asked out

I don't really see two different outcomes there.

Agree 100%. To say it turns off men is completely false. It's a BS line they use so they don't have to risk rejection. For those that claim men don't like it, please do yourself a favor; get over yourself.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 AM

5,145 posts, read 10,444,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
Agree 100%. To say it turns off men is completely false. It's a BS line they use so they don't have to risk rejection. For those that claim men don't like it, please do yourself a favor; get over yourself.
They probably just need to get over that one time they were rejected for it.
I never had anyone act like that was a turn off.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:23 AM

3,866 posts, read 7,077,525 times
Quote:
Well first, you don't have to "resort" to online dating. Its very normal and accepted, at least where I live. Everyone single person I know, including my 47 year old sister and 65 year old mother in law have done it. Its completely normal.

I also met my husband on Match and along with my very attractive friends have ALL been on online dating sites. I was on 5 at one point. Being attractive or even well educated does not guarantee that you will find a great match just by walking down the street or hanging our in a bar. I met very few eligible guys in person. The ones that approached me were usually ghetto, brash or nasty. I met tons of quality, educated professional men that did not hang out in bars or chose to hit on women that way.

I don't know why people still have this hangup about online dating. *shrugs*. If I were single, yep, I'd do it again.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:25 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,084,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
They probably just need to get over that one time they were rejected for it.
I never had anyone act like that was a turn off.

In all likelihood, that's the case. Got rejected once and vowed never to ask out men again. Men go through that all the time. Get rejected, but you'll find someone that says yes. I've never been put off by being asked out. If I said no, I wasn't interested to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or