U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-15-2011, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,866 posts, read 7,077,525 times
Reputation: 5113

Advertisements

Alsojust wanted to add that if it weren't for online dating, I would have never met my husband because he is not one to hang in bars or clubs and is more of a homebody and we have completely different social circles.

He also first thought mine wa a fake profile because I had professional modeling pics but he took the chance and sent me a wink. What attracted me to him was how bright and articulate he was and he came across so different and a breath os fresh air from the guys I usually met.

I know several couples who have married who met online (including 2 of my in-laws). You really just never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-15-2011, 10:37 AM
 
1,833 posts, read 2,084,363 times
Reputation: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Alsojust wanted to add that if it weren't for online dating, I would have never met my husband because he is not one to hang in bars or clubs and is more of a homebody and we have completely different social circles.

He also first thought mine wa a fake profile because I had professional modeling pics but he took the chance and sent me a wink. What attracted me to him was how bright and articulate he was and he came across so different and a breath os fresh air from the guys I usually met.

I know several couples who have married who met online (including 2 of my in-laws). You really just never know.

It works for some, but it's not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,866 posts, read 7,077,525 times
Reputation: 5113
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
It works for some, but it's not for everyone.
Obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 10:55 AM
 
116 posts, read 124,561 times
Reputation: 192
Default What A Silly, Gross Generalization

I'm over 40, well-educated, and have been told by men who've met me in person after connecting online that I'm very attractive. However, I also live in a small suburb, and am self-employed, working from my home. Virtually the *only* new people I meet, for any reason, I meet online.

I've tried the clubbing/bar thing, but it seems like most men who hang out in clubs and bars to meet women are only interested in the casual sex hook-up. Since I also have two kids I don't have time to join a bunch of clubs or community activities in the hope I *may* meet someone who's a good match for me that way. I go out and about in my daily life, to the grocery store, post office, bank, etc., but men do not just come up out of the blue to ask me out. Maybe it's because the community I live in is very conservative, I don't know.

The big draws of the dating sites for me are first, the opportunity to "meet" quality men whose path I'd otherwise never cross (even if they live just twenty minutes away), and second, the fact that you can figure out if there's absolutely NO WAY you'd be compatible before wasting anyone's time -- e.g., he says he's looking for someone to have kids with and you never want to be pregnant again, he's a card-carrying Tea Party member and you're very left-leaning, etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 12:08 PM
 
1,610 posts, read 3,507,699 times
Reputation: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I never subscribed to any dating site, but I have looked through a bunch of profiles just to see what kind of girls are out there. I was surprised to see that there were a lot of girls who looked extremely attractive in their photos and a lot of them had a college degree. What I don't understand is why women like that would ever need to resort to online dating. They shouldn't have any problem meeting a guy outside of the internet. It makes me a little suspicious.
Change your mentality. When you say "resort to online dating" you make it seem like its an act of desperation or something. Online profiles/sites help facilitate you getting to know someone as do bars and cafes and restaurants. Technology is here to serve us, there shouldn't be any judgement about using it.

That being said I don't always get the connotative meaning of "online dating" to have long courtships over the web, I don't believe in, but to get interests from people who you will date in the real world I think it's okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,826,869 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
They probably just need to get over that one time they were rejected for it.
I never had anyone act like that was a turn off.
My male best friend refuses to go out with women who approach him first. He says it takes away the fun of dating, so those men are out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 12:22 PM
 
1,833 posts, read 2,084,363 times
Reputation: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My male best friend refuses to go out with women who approach him first. He says it takes away the fun of dating, so those men are out there.

They're not men, they're insecure little boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,126 posts, read 25,826,869 times
Reputation: 16226
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
They're not men, they're insecure little boys.
Its his opinion and prerogative, that doesn't necessarily means he's insecure. I much prefer to be approached first, although i have done plenty of approaching myself. It's a preference and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
9,473 posts, read 16,442,439 times
Reputation: 13179
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
Your second sentence could not be more false. They know damn well they're attractive. Women who are that good looking know they are. Guys are intimidated by their looks. That I'll agree with. But if they're not being asked out, they need to be more proactive if they don't want to be alone. Me personally, I'm not impressed by hot women. Maybe when I was in school, but not now. I've had hot women ignore me, only to find out they were interested. As far as I'm concerned, they're hot. So what? Most women that hot lack personalities to begin with. And I could never be with a woman that tried to reel me in by ignoring me. For me, that would rule out any chance of me getting with her.
Look, if you're not being asked out, how would you know that you are attractive? The only way for people to tell how attractive they are is from feedback from other people. The mirror is no help. I look in my mirror and I look pretty hot some days and pretty stinky on others. Some days I look 10 years older than my age and other days I look 20 years younger. I always look thinner to myself than I really am and can only tell how fat I am by looking at a photo. Beautiful women who are very shy are even less likely to know that they're beautiful than a much more outgoing woman. Beautiful women who were married for the last 10 years to a man who left them for another woman are not likely to know that they're gorgeous--they probably feel downright homely and then if they're shy and no one is asking them out. . . Your contention could not be more false. And esp the one about hot people lacking personalities. They have one just like everyone else and in equal measures of bad and good--it's just that people like you are more likely to take offense when they're shy b/c you already have a chip on your shoulder where they are concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2011, 04:37 PM
 
Location: US
5,145 posts, read 10,444,029 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My male best friend refuses to go out with women who approach him first. He says it takes away the fun of dating, so those men are out there.
Thats what he says.
Haha!

I swear if it were safe and appropriate I would like to see if he was a man of his word.

If the chase is the only fun part...he must get hit on by rather boring females.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top