Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:56 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,372,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
You see a guy you like, ask him out. Bam, you got a date. If you're an attractive lady with a lot to offer, you shouldn't have to ask out too many men to find a date.

As for online dating, I've always been skeptical of it. I've visited POF and OKC out of curiousity and it seems like the women have so many issues. I can't count how many profiles I've seen that have "I'm not looking for sex", "I've had my fun", "Got burned", "Hate players and jerks". I'm not against these sites and I wouldn't discourage anyone from using them, but it's not for me.
Yeah but they wrote that when their guard was up, its what prompted it. I've written stuff in haste, its what makes them interesting. Read people, they love players and jerks or they wouldn't have contact with them. If they were serious they wouldn't be attracting them.
Women are exposed nerves, if they post blogs approach that not the intro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:04 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,508,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Yeah but they wrote that when their guard was up, its what prompted it. I've written stuff in haste, its what makes them interesting. Read people, they love players and jerks or they wouldn't have contact with them. If they were serious they wouldn't be attracting them.
Women are exposed nerves, if they post blogs approach that not the intro.

No one said women hate players and jerks. But many women are putting off the good guys with those lines. If I read that, I assume she has issues. I would never write "Been burned by gold diggers and other women". It makes it come across as bitter and jaded.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:12 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,224,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
...What I don't understand is why women like that would ever need to resort to online dating....
I don't understand why you say "resort" to online dating. When I was dating I preferred to meet women online, and a lot of them preferred to meet men online. It's easy to judge intelligence and just get to know them better that way.

I met my late wife online in the early years of the internet (quite by accident) in 1991. We met on a writers board and started emailing each other. Before we met in person, we knew each other very well. I knew she was very intelligent and compassionate, knew about her family, goals, history, interests, etc. We had even mailed each other our pictures, so we knew what each other looked like. (This was before the era of web browsers and online photos.) We'd had long, detailed conversations on the phone. It didn't take long after we met in person that we were pretty sure we were a good match for each other. In fact, I think we were pretty sure before we even met face-to-face.

A few years after her death I met my current wife online. By that time we had Netscape for a web browser and had social sites for chatting online and ICU for more personal chat. I can't say I liked it as well, as chat became one-liners instead of detailed emails, but it still worked. Again, we weren't too surprised when we finally met, and we knew a lot about each other.

It's a good way to weed out those with personalities and interests that just don't fit your own. Meeting face-to-face becomes confirmation that the person is really who you believe them to be. In most cases it's pretty accurate, although I've had a couple surprises.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:14 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,372,858 times
Quote:
No one said women hate players and jerks. But many women are putting off the good guys with those lines. If I read that, I assume she has issues. I would never write "Been burned by gold diggers and other women". It makes it come across as bitter and jaded.
I agree, they do have issues and are most likely missing out on some good guys. If I read an ad like that I would assume a lot but also unless I wanted a short term frustrating end to things I would click past it. Unless your a fixer you just silently say pass. When I first got back in the game I just wanted something to take my mind off things, screwed up dating just made it easier I guess. Now 2 years later not so much.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:28 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,787,328 times
Quote:
You see a guy you like, ask him out. Bam, you got a date. If you're an attractive lady with a lot to offer, you shouldn't have to ask out too many men to find a date.
You're making an incorrect assumption. Women who are extremely attractive and never get asked out may not realize that they're extremely attractive and may in fact think that they're not attractive at all b/c they never get asked out. Sure, their girlfriends might tell them they're beautiful, but if they never get a date, how long are they going to continue to believe that? Truth is, most of us have no idea really of what we look like and have to use the feedback from other people's reactions.

Quote:
Depends on their age, online dating is accepted and normal in the younger age groups so attractiveness is not out of the ordinary. After 40 I think its more like trolling. Look at the pictures carefully, look for 40 plus women in a room full of kids bent over the couch so you can see the goods, only neck up shots, the glamor shots with tons of make up, major alcohol abuse shots, Smile shots in the 76 chevette in front of government housing. stuff like that
Gee, no wonder I had so much trouble with online dating--I didn't post a single pic like that. Didn't show the goods once, didn't have a glam shot, didn't wear tons of makeup, didn't have any pix over 3 years old, and no chevette, and I had at least one full body shot. Guess I'd better get busy.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
You're making an incorrect assumption. Women who are extremely attractive and never get asked out may not realize that they're extremely attractive and may in fact think that they're not attractive at all b/c they never get asked out. Sure, their girlfriends might tell them they're beautiful, but if they never get a date, how long are they going to continue to believe that? Truth is, most of us have no idea really of what we look like and have to use the feedback from other people's reactions.

Your second sentence could not be more false. They know damn well they're attractive. Women who are that good looking know they are. Guys are intimidated by their looks. That I'll agree with. But if they're not being asked out, they need to be more proactive if they don't want to be alone. Me personally, I'm not impressed by hot women. Maybe when I was in school, but not now. I've had hot women ignore me, only to find out they were interested. As far as I'm concerned, they're hot. So what? Most women that hot lack personalities to begin with. And I could never be with a woman that tried to reel me in by ignoring me. For me, that would rule out any chance of me getting with her.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:44 PM

37,585 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Depends on their age, online dating is accepted and normal in the younger age groups so attractiveness is not out of the ordinary. After 40 I think its more like trolling. Look at the pictures carefully, look for 40 plus women in a room full of kids bent over the couch so you can see the goods, only neck up shots, the glamor shots with tons of make up, major alcohol abuse shots, Smile shots in the 76 chevette in front of government housing. stuff like that
Okay I'm just gonna use this one post as an example of how people that have little or no experience with online dating, make glaringly foolish statements about it.

Seriously, if you spent enough time and effort to where you made some good connections with people, you wouldn't make such silly statements.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:13 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,040 times
Quote:
You see a guy you like, ask him out. Bam, you got a date.
Not if the guy is an Alpha, Hunter and likes to ask women out. Doing this will be an instant turn off to him. No thank you

Quote:
As for online dating, I've always been skeptical of it. I've visited POF and OKC out of curiousity and it seems like the women have so many issues. I can't count how many profiles I've seen that have "I'm not looking for sex", "I've had my fun", "Got burned", "Hate players and jerks". I'm not against these sites and I wouldn't discourage anyone from using them, but it's not for me.
Those sites if I recall correctly are free sites. If a site is free, all sorts of people can sign up. If you have to pay for it, you are typically more serious or want a bit more quality.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Not if the guy is an Alpha, Hunter and likes to ask women out. Doing this will be an instant turn off to him. No thank you

That's the chance you take. And that's not the type of guy you want. You don't want a guy that's going to turn you down solely because you asked him out. That's the sign of a very insecure boy(boy, not man). A man that is secure with himself and who he is, is not going to be turned off by a woman that asks him out. I would not turn a woman down because she asked me out. If I'm attracted to her, that's all that matters. If I'm not attracted to her, she could offer sex on a platter and I'm still saying no.

Quote:
Those sites if I recall correctly are free sites. If a site is free, all sorts of people can sign up. If you have to pay for it, you are typically more serious or want a bit more quality.

Free or not, online dating isn't for me. I'm not against others doing it, but I don't feel it would be productive for me. I have enough crazies in the new town I moved to.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:52 AM

591 posts, read 865,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I don't understand why you say "resort" to online dating. When I was dating I preferred to meet women online, and a lot of them preferred to meet men online. It's easy to judge intelligence and just get to know them better that way.

I met my late wife online in the early years of the internet (quite by accident) in 1991. We met on a writers board and started emailing each other. Before we met in person, we knew each other very well. I knew she was very intelligent and compassionate, knew about her family, goals, history, interests, etc. We had even mailed each other our pictures, so we knew what each other looked like. (This was before the era of web browsers and online photos.) We'd had long, detailed conversations on the phone. It didn't take long after we met in person that we were pretty sure we were a good match for each other. In fact, I think we were pretty sure before we even met face-to-face.

A few years after her death I met my current wife online. By that time we had Netscape for a web browser and had social sites for chatting online and ICU for more personal chat. I can't say I liked it as well, as chat became one-liners instead of detailed emails, but it still worked. Again, we weren't too surprised when we finally met, and we knew a lot about each other.

It's a good way to weed out those with personalities and interests that just don't fit your own. Meeting face-to-face becomes confirmation that the person is really who you believe them to be. In most cases it's pretty accurate, although I've had a couple surprises.

It's kind of hard to weed them out if you get 2-3 responses per ad and they all turn out to have major issues (which is why I refuse to date online).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships