Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:45 PM

597 posts, read 1,026,549 times

Advertisements

I never subscribed to any dating site, but I have looked through a bunch of profiles just to see what kind of girls are out there. I was surprised to see that there were a lot of girls who looked extremely attractive in their photos and a lot of them had a college degree. What I don't understand is why women like that would ever need to resort to online dating. They shouldn't have any problem meeting a guy outside of the internet. It makes me a little suspicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 06:57 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
I'm not sure if this depends on where you live - but most of my girlfriends that have been single any time in the last few years have all done online dating. They all have college degrees and most of them are very attractive.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:03 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,210,634 times
A woman who is smart and attractive could easily find a guy out at an establishment like a bar, but a guy who is interested in a LTR and not just sex? For that, maybe online dating might help.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:06 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,601,809 times
Back when I was dating I met many women who just plain had no time to go out and meet people.
I met and dated a young beautiful Hawaiian woman who was a manager at a Huntington Beach resort.
Many photographs are old, some are just plain lies. But each posting should be looked at individually.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:07 PM

826 posts, read 1,893,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I never subscribed to any dating site, but I have looked through a bunch of profiles just to see what kind of girls are out there. I was surprised to see that there were a lot of girls who looked extremely attractive in their photos and a lot of them had a college degree. What I don't understand is why women like that would ever need to resort to online dating. They shouldn't have any problem meeting a guy outside of the internet. It makes me a little suspicious.

That's what you think, but sometimes pretty girls are the least likely girls to get dates in real life. Some men see attractive girls and think they are already taken or would never agree for them.
Furthermore, the fact that you are attractive and get hit on, does not automatically guarantee that the men that are hitting on you, want a relationship with you. Yes, you caught their eye, but at the end of the day, maybe they just want sex.

Another biggie is location. If you are in a small town, your pool will be limited. If you are in an area that's mostly families or older people, you'll also have a smaller pool.

It really depends. You can't generalize.

I used to look down on online dating, until I ended up in the town that I'm in. I used to think it was just psychos or socially inept people, but I found out it wasn't the case.

These days, everyone is online anyway and most of the stigma is gone.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:15 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,372,858 times
Depends on their age, online dating is accepted and normal in the younger age groups so attractiveness is not out of the ordinary. After 40 I think its more like trolling. Look at the pictures carefully, look for 40 plus women in a room full of kids bent over the couch so you can see the goods, only neck up shots, the glamor shots with tons of make up, major alcohol abuse shots, Smile shots in the 76 chevette in front of government housing. stuff like that

Old 08-13-2011, 07:23 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,465,732 times
There are a lot of attractive, educated, and accomplished women using online dating. It's difficult to find a good match whatever gender you are in the real world - the pool is limited by the places you frequent, and "classy" places to meet are few. You have better odds online, I think, because there are more, potentially compatible possibilities. At least that's been my experience.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:41 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,508,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
That's what you think, but sometimes pretty girls are the least likely girls to get dates in real life. Some men see attractive girls and think they are already taken or would never agree for them.

You see a guy you like, ask him out. Bam, you got a date. If you're an attractive lady with a lot to offer, you shouldn't have to ask out too many men to find a date.

As for online dating, I've always been skeptical of it. I've visited POF and OKC out of curiousity and it seems like the women have so many issues. I can't count how many profiles I've seen that have "I'm not looking for sex", "I've had my fun", "Got burned", "Hate players and jerks". I'm not against these sites and I wouldn't discourage anyone from using them, but it's not for me.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:44 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,780,328 times
most people these days are weighed down by work and other pressures. The little free time that they have they may want to spend with family or a set of close friends. People, men and women, after they enter the workforce, increasingly just do not have the time to go out and hit on random strangers or socialize enough to meet someone. That is where online dating comes in. It's a solution developed to suit today's express lifestyle.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
The problem is that smart professional women work alot, and dating men at work is bad news, most women don't want to hang out in bars. So, if you work, go to the gym, home...and just moved to a new city for your job...where do you meet anyone? Online. Go for it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships