U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-19-2011, 09:27 PM

42,843 posts, read 54,857,697 times

Advertisements

I think ever since good ol' spanking could no longer be done in this country, everything's gone go hell!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 01:34 AM

591 posts, read 408,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
I'd never heard of this rare condition before. After watching the videos it's clear this goes way beyond just being really into something or even being a fetish. These women actually feel something back from the inanimate objects and believe they have a mutual emotional relationship. They choose these relationships instead of risking actual personal relationships. By their own accounts, these women are damaged: the one had a distant dad and is on the autism spectrum, the other was raped (that was cited in a second post by the OP which has since been deleted.) So, while it does seem that they're reasonably happy and otherwise can function as expected in society, I find it sad and curious that they seek emotional comfort and fulfillment by anthropomorphising objects.
I agree. This is how the young generation of Japanese men are turning out, in love with their dolls and taking them to expensive hotels, yet no skill set to actually talk to women. Clinical, abberrant, morbid, or whatever else you like to call it.

Old 08-20-2011, 01:38 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,707,195 times
It doesn't hurt anyone...

Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 AM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,290,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
There is a part 3, 4, and 5. Part 5 goes into both women's psychological histories.
Thanks, I'll look those up later.
nim, you mentioned sexual-orientation and "abnormal wiring, like homosexuality." You also asked "Do you think it's comparable to homosexuality and bisexuality?"

First of all, I don't consider homosexuality to be about abnormal brain wiring - that suggests it deviates from the norm in an undesirable way. I might substitute atypical for abnormal there - it captures the deviation from the norm or majority without imposing an unspoken value judgment.

Secondly, no, I don't think objectum-sexuality is comparable to homo/bi-sexuality. In fact, I don't think it is a sexual-orientation at all. However, I do think it's both atypical and abnormal behavior that happens to have emotional/sexual components. Sort of like how anorexia isn't an extreme diet - it's a disorder expressed through starvation. KWIM?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
To give more direction to the thread, what do you think might lead to something like objectum-sexuality? Do you think it's all environmental, all genetic?
I'd hazard that this can only crop up if there are both environmental and genetic factors. My guess is that they're all born with a predisposition toward addiction/ocd and might also fit into the autism spectrum. Then, probably due to some actual or perceived trauma(s), their environment moved them toward their own aberrant behavior.

That said, if there is any correlation at all with sexual orientation I'd say it would be purely environmental and not genetic. For example, on top of the genetic/environmental factors already mentioned, these women might have felt they had to suppress their natural desires and that object-eroticism would be more acceptable than homo-eroticism. Honestly, I think there are people who would tolerate it better!

Old 08-20-2011, 09:58 AM

9,078 posts, read 6,727,050 times
Uhhhh..um..wow.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,077,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I think ever since good ol' spanking could no longer be done in this country, everything's gone go hell!
Things certainly have changed since that non-event has happened.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,290,627 times
I'm thinking this topic might work better in any of these fora: Mental Health, Health & Wellness, Great Debates, or even Other Topics. I'm glad I saw it wherever it was before being moved here since I rarely see Relationship threads.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:19 PM

10,452 posts, read 5,696,575 times
Quote:
Thanks, I'll look those up later.
nim, you mentioned sexual-orientation and "abnormal wiring, like homosexuality." You also asked "Do you think it's comparable to homosexuality and bisexuality?"

First of all, I don't consider homosexuality to be about abnormal brain wiring - that suggests it deviates from the norm in an undesirable way. I might substitute atypical for abnormal there - it captures the deviation from the norm or majority without imposing an unspoken value judgment.
Whoops. I didn't mean to imply a value judgment. I meant "abnormal" in the statistical, scientific sense. In other words, abnormal simply because less than 50% of the population has it.

Quote:
Secondly, no, I don't think objectum-sexuality is comparable to homo/bi-sexuality. In fact, I don't think it is a sexual-orientation at all. However, I do think it's both atypical and abnormal behavior that happens to have emotional/sexual components. Sort of like how anorexia isn't an extreme diet - it's a disorder expressed through starvation. KWIM?

I'd hazard that this can only crop up if there are both environmental and genetic factors. My guess is that they're all born with a predisposition toward addiction/ocd and might also fit into the autism spectrum. Then, probably due to some actual or perceived trauma(s), their environment moved them toward their own aberrant behavior.

That said, if there is any correlation at all with sexual orientation I'd say it would be purely environmental and not genetic. For example, on top of the genetic/environmental factors already mentioned, these women might have felt they had to suppress their natural desires and that object-eroticism would be more acceptable than homo-eroticism. Honestly, I think there are people who would tolerate it better!
Based on these women, I thought it was trauma-related, but then a sexologist in another video with Tyra Banks said if it was trauma-related it would be much more common because a lot of people are traumatized. It'd be interesting to see if there has been any research done on people who identify as objectum-sexual who report no traumatic past.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm pretty open-minded in general, but I find this rather weird. I mean you asked.
I have to admit, it's tough for me to understand too. But I don't want to be like the straight people who condemn my orientation, so I am really trying to present this topic with an open-mind.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking this topic might work better in any of these fora: Mental Health, Health & Wellness, Great Debates, or even Other Topics. I'm glad I saw it wherever it was before being moved here since I rarely see Relationship threads.
I just realized it's in Relationships now. I originally posted it in Great Debates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships