Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 01:37 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times

Advertisements

What ever happened to trust?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 01:39 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny come lately View Post
My girlfriend wants me to give her the password to my email. She says that if I do not, that means I have something to hide. Would you give it to your significant other?
Most people have more than one email. Need I say more?

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-20-2011, 05:04 PM

859 posts, read 2,829,121 times
My GF has my PW simply because I trust her. She never asked for it. I just gave it to her one day while we were working on the computer. We were looking for something and I thought I had it in my e-mail so I told her to pull it up...

If your girl is making a big deal about it then she has real trust issues that are only going to make your lives worse. Do you have her password?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:07 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny come lately View Post
My girlfriend wants me to give her the password to my email. She says that if I do not, that means I have something to hide. Would you give it to your significant other?
I wouldn't even be diplomatic about it when telling her to blow it out her ass. What an asinine request. There is a difference between having nothing to hide and not having any privacy.

You may want to seriously consider continuing a relationship with a moron like this, although also reflect upon whether you may have initiated the suspicion.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:09 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Hard to say. I made my H's email account and set his password for him years ago when we got our first computer. We actually shared an email account at first. My parents still share one email account and I set it up for them a few years back. Different strokes...but it does seem like the younger you are the more privacy you expect (along with individual bank account and keeping finances seperate). Marriage is different now.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:18 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
This is a huge red flag. Bail out. Give on this and she'll get crazier. Really, bail.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:48 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
Directed towards the OP..

I agree with the majority of the posters....
I feel email is personal, it does not mean I m doing anything wrong it just means I have a right to privacy as does my SO...

She sounds very insecure, passive agressive and controlling...
I would tell her no and why and be done with it...
She basically sounds like my ex-wife. I'm with everyone else here that says don't do it. I wouldn't even give my mom my password to my email. Like other posters have said, it is private.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:09 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I wouldn't give it to her. I DO know my so's passwords and he knows mine. But we are in a long-term (14 yrs) committed relationship. I also have his power of attorney to access all his financial accounts and even to sell or mortgage the house. He GAVE that authority to me. I NEVER asked. Nor would I have asked. And THAT is the issue you are dealing with. She doesn't trust you and her comment about you having something to hide is intended to make you feel guilty so that you will give her your password. I'd make it very clear to her that her lack of trust in you is HER problem and if she doesn't trust you, then you should not be in the relationship.

I still wouldn't give it to her even if she has reason to be suspicious of your behavior. Because in that case, you aren't in a committed relationship.
Ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships