Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2011, 06:49 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,174 times

Advertisements

If I started to attract 9s and 10s at a constant rate, I'd actually feel a bit worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 06:52 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
If I started to attract 9s and 10s at a constant rate, I'd actually feel a bit worried.

I'd be more worried about having multiple women hanging all over me, regardless of what they looked like.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:54 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times
Most people I know are very educated and successful (probably like top 1-10% of population) so I'm not getting a good cross section.

But it always seems that the successful men end up dating FAR better looking women who aren't as successful.

And the successful women date a variety of men without a definite pattern:
- worse looking, worse career
- worse looking, better career
- better looking, worse career
- better looking, better career

I think this means women go more for overall compatibility and personality factors (outside of looks and career) while men tend to be slightly more superficial.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Most people I know are very educated and successful (probably like top 1-10% of population) so I'm not getting a good cross section.

But it always seems that the successful men end up dating FAR better looking women who aren't as successful.

And the successful women date a variety of men without a definite pattern:
- worse looking, worse career
- worse looking, better career
- better looking, worse career
- better looking, better career

I think this means women go more for overall compatibility and personality factors (outside of looks and career) while men tend to be slightly more superficial.

Women in general do not date or marry down. They are more superficial. Men may be superficial with looks, but women are more superficial in everything else. Income, social status/proof, who his friends are, etc.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
Women in general do not date or marry down. They are more superficial. Men may be superficial with looks, but women are more superficial in everything else. Income, social status/proof, who his friends are, etc.
That might be true, but being that all the women I know are highly successful (like 6 figure incomes or multi-6 figure incomes) and fairly attractive, they would not find anyone if they didn't marry down. They are smart enough to realize it and that's just their reality. Nobody can keep marrying up. Especially if the equally successful guys are already marrying down in success but up in looks - leaving the women with even fewer options.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
That might be true, but being that all the women I know are highly successful they would not find anyone if they didn't marry down. They are smart enough to realize it and that's just their reality.

You do realize if they're as successful as you say they are, they're a huge minority?

Old 08-22-2011, 07:19 PM

Quote:
You do realize if they're as successful as you say they are, they're a huge minority?
I'm just giving my obs on the cross section of society made up of successful people to show what happens when you take money/suceess out of the equation. Men marry slightly up more for looks, while women have no definite rules.

For everyone else without guaranteed success, I do see a lot of men AND women who have unrealistic expectations. I've seen fat women being picky about height, looks, and education. I've seen fat men rejecting the chubby, flat, uneducated, or crazy woman. I think it would be erroneous to conclude that either sex is worse than the other when it comes to unrealistic expectations.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Men marry slightly up more for looks, while women have no definite rules.

More rubbish. Most couples are pretty even in terms of looks. Women most certainly have rules. I've known maybe a handful of couples in my 23 years where the woman made significantly more money or had higher social status. Women do have rules. They don't marry down, even the successful ones.

Quote:
For everyone else without guaranteed success, I do see a lot of men AND women who have unrealistic expectations. I've seen fat women being picky about height, looks, and education. I've seen fat men rejecting the chubby, flat, uneducated, or crazy woman. I think it would be erroneous to conclude that either sex is worse than the other when it comes to unrealistic expectations.

Yes, members of both can have unrealistic expectations. But I still stand by women being more unrealistic. When females are being fed fairy tales from a young age, it's no wonder they're more unrealistic than men. Movies and other stories such as Beauty and the Beast, Romeo and Juliet, Step Up, A Walk To Remember, etc; are catered to females, not males.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, members of both can have unrealistic expectations. But I still stand by women being more unrealistic. When females are being fed fairy tales from a young age, it's no wonder they're more unrealistic than men. Movies and other stories such as Beauty and the Beast, Romeo and Juliet, Step Up, A Walk To Remember, etc; are catered to females, not males.
That fairy tale thing affecting women's expectations is bogus. Why do you think more women seek higher education than men nowadays? It's not so they can wait for their white knight in shining armor.

New Economics of Marriage: The Rise of Wives - Pew Research Center

Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
That fairy tale thing affecting women's expectations is bogus. Why do you think more women seek higher education than men nowadays? It's not so they can wait for their white knight in shining armor.

New Economics of Marriage: The Rise of Wives - Pew Research Center

Fairy tales and higher education are not related. Men still earn more and occupy the more dangerous and physical jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships