Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Now that's rich. Where in my post did I say you were sexist?

You know exactly where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 12:39 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suissegrl702 View Post
I've decided to quit dating for a while, to just focus on my walking and running, ........
Good idea. I was going to recommend that as I was reading your post. You seemed to be putting so much "blame" and thought on the guys instead of looking at yourself.

Maybe buy a couple of good self help books or read up on self confidence. You need it.

Hopefully, when you get your self in order, you'll find a good guy.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:41 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Well quite frankly guys have to have high self esteem. It's an absolute must for us. Healthy self esteem benefits women to but for guys, having low self esteem is worst then receiving the death penalty.
You got it. That's exactly what I meant by "evolutionarily speaking".

Old 08-22-2011, 12:44 PM

I agree that men aren't as shallow with looks as women tend to believe. I don't need or want a model on my arm. I've usually focused on girl next door and plain Jane types. Oddly enough, they're more difficult to get for me than the hot ones because the plain ones think they have chance.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:45 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
I've seen several threads on here that talk about women with their heads in the clouds. Why not for men? I can't seem to find those threads.

I'm above average looking, maybe 10 pounds overweight, tops, well endowed (gee thanks Mom), athletic, and have very long hair. But I'm not a 10, or even a 9, and I'm smart enough to realize this and smart enough not to go looking for those kinds of men. I also dress nice and trendy; I get compliments regularly for how I look--I'm more of a fashionista.

But the men I seem to find think differently. I seem to be finding a lot of men who think they are entitled to women who are a 9 or a 10, even when they are a 5. Allow me to give examples form the last three men I've liked or dated.

The first guy, who I dated twice, is 26. He is overweight, was once obese. He's not too horrible on the eyes, he knows how to dress. If I were to rate him, I'd rate him a 6. He is a Mormon, and after we quit dating, I overheard that he is upset that he cannot bag a temple recommend holding Mormon woman, one of whom is attractive. In his universe "attractive" means looks like Gwyneth Paltrow or Megan Fox, but with a temple recommend, and willing to overlook the fact that he lives with his parents and their cats, owns a crap car, has no aspirations and goals beyond being a "starving artist" (he works part-time, for minimal wages at a department store and is NOT in college) and has never gone on an LDS mission. I have contemplated blocking him on facebook because he complains at length about how he cannot get a Mormon woman, and how even us non-LDS women won't date him. I ended it with him because he was flippant and I did not seem to be a priority to him at all, even though he claimed to like me, and because he had no ambition. I'm not expecting a guy to be rich or middle class even, but some sort of ambition would be nice! I would imagine that LDS women are turning him down because he isn't working that much and does not aspire to work much, and therefore would not be the kind of man a woman would want to start a family with. I suspect that fact alone is more to blame than what he claims is the problem, which is that he never went on an LDS mission (dare I say it, probably because, *gasp* two years out in a foreign country would have gotten in the way of the Graphic Design stuff).

The next guy, who I also dated, was a 37 year old living in my hometown. He complains that the women are few and far between. I'll give a little on that: Vegas has been ranked as having more men than women, and the women there are above average looking, according to several polls, and far pickier. However, I did learn who he was chasing, and as far as I am concerned, if you chase after 10s when you are a 6, you're getting what you deserve. He ended up with a woman who is a 9 on looks but who has issues, who won't even shack up with him, or marry him, and now, rather than whine about how he can't get a woman, he whines about how he cannot get a wife and kids.

The last guy made a fool of me and isn't that hot. I'd rank him a 5. His ex informed me that he starves himself and crash diets because he hates working out. He lies and tells women that he loves working out. He manages money poorly. He lives with his parents. I see him around regularly. He looks like Mexican Trailer Trash: cut up sweatpants, oversize shirts to hide the fact that he has man boobs and a beer belly, flip flops, a rosary, and a baseball cap to hide the fact that he is balding, and badly. The only woman he will date? A 10, and nothing less. Because he is perfect...or so he thinks, and deserves the best. I think his ex inflated his ego; she was a 10; but he dated her, I'm sure, because he met her in a city with more women than men, so the women settle more. As it was they dated for 8 months, she dumped him; he whines that she never gave him a chance; he put on weight and forgot to shave his head, and looks even worse now. The only thing he has going for him is that he has ambition...and a sense of humor, and a cute face. He now regularly whines about how badly his dates are going. He not only wants a 10, but expects her to not have any kids from a previous relationship and to have never touched drugs.

I have read plenty of threads on here about how women have unrealistic standards...it cuts both ways. I've also read that women don't consider looks...well, that is a lie. I'm not going to date a dog because he has a sense of humor and a million bucks. Sorry.

And yes, I have met female friends and colleagues with their heads in the clouds.

I've decided to quit dating for a while, to just focus on my walking and running, to get up to marathon level. And the men can look all they want as I get thinner, but I'm just going to pass. I'm tired of the unrealistic standards of it all.
Because, well, women DO have higher standards than men.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:45 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I deserve what I want.
You can have it as most don't even want it.

LK, on a side note, are you a Leo by any chance?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 PM

977 posts, read 1,815,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
If what all of you are saying is true, then why are all these seemingly average people able to be in relationships?
I know, right? With all the complaining going on all the time on this forum, you would think nobody was in a relationship. Meanwhile, in the real world, a lot of people are in one or have been in one fairly recently.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Because, well, women DO have higher standards than men.

How high can they be when they frequently get involved with players, liars, cheats, and other losers?

Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You can have it as most don't even want it.

LK, on a side note, are you a Leo by any chance?

No a virgo, remember Sept 19....its coming soon.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:55 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
I've decided to quit dating for a while, to just focus on my walking and running, to get up to marathon level. And the men can look all they want as I get thinner, but I'm just going to pass. I'm tired of the unrealistic standards of it all.

I don't think opting out is a good idea if you really want a husband/long term partner. The key is to size these guys up right away and move on quickly if they are not what you want.

See: Is He Mr. Right? for a very practical read on this subject.

Amazon.com: Is He Mr. Right?: Everything You Need to Know Before You Commit: Mira Kirshenbaum: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships