Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You might want to look at some facts before you make this type of statement. Divorced women with children usually end up in poverty.

Here's just one of thousands of articles on the subject you raised: Economic Effects Of Divorce On Women | LIVESTRONG.COM
Comments on the article:

I'm not disputing that women end up in poverty, but this article does not really help that argument.

The article listed one negative that hurts women compared to men (bankruptcy rates), and then went on to post consequences based on the benefits they receive (higher utilities and expenses because they get to keep the house). In regards to legal fees, they didn't even say who actually pays those legal fees in the end or how much the men's legal fees are in comparison. They simply said women need to "settle" those amounts. I've read many "settlements" and frequently the higher earner is paying both legal fees.

In regards to lower income vs men, notice that child support isn't counted as income. One can only assume if it's not counted towards the women's income, it's also not being lowered on the men's income calculations. How can we have a fair comparison of male/female income post-divorce if that's not even counted? The man can't spend income that's not in his pocket.

And their final point was the fact that they get half of their ex-spouse's social security. I don't see how that's a negative.

Funny, they didn't even link to the data, they simply quoted a professor who saw the data.

All that being said, I don't believe in the male / female divorce arguments except for children. Outside of custody, the real divorce issues are more higher earner / lower earner these days.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:06 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What good is it to "get the house" if she can't afford the mortgage payment, utilities, and maintenance costs on one salary?
I don't see too many women turning down the house in the settlement either.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:09 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Seriously, are you 12 years old? Since when did paying to support your children and provide for their needs some kind of pay off for one of the divorcing parties?

These posts are getting juvenile and sliding downhill fast. Read the thread then get back to us.
I've been reading the thread since it stated, just beacuse you don't like what Im telling its juvenile. Yes child support is a type of payment if you don't pay they put you in jail(Even if its not your child, but thats a diffrent topic for a diffrent day).

Last edited by JustJulia; 08-31-2011 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: personal attacks are not allowed

Old 08-31-2011, 02:11 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Idiot I've been reading the thread since it stated, just beacuse you don't like what Im telling its juvenile. Yes child support is a type of payment if you don't pay they put you in jail(Even if its not your child, but thats a diffrent topic for a diffrent day).
To me, child support is extortion and feminist-institutionalized.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:11 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
The house belong to the man. He brought it in the first place and the home was his before he married her.
Oh, man, why do I think we've reached our teenage audience now. That's a heck of an assumption and it's more wrong than right.

You don't know why people divorce and every case is different. My own father was married three times and after number 2 cleaned the house out while he was at work, I stood there and said, 'well, I can't see how you didn't deserve it.' He actually agreed. He just couldn't give up his girlfriends and she contributed her income to that household, the furniture, the upkeep, the mortgage. Which is typical of most divorce cases.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
First off the majority of people are middle of the road incomes and I've yet to meet anyone, man or woman, who got paid a huge suit case sized large settlement and I have 12 aunts and uncles all divorced, some more than once.

Secondly, the person paying alimony can write all of it off as a tax deduction while the receiver of it must pay income taxes on it.
You're right, which is why losing half of your assets or paying a chunk of your monthly income in alimony is going to hurt a middle or lower class person more than it will hurt a high income person.

True, but they cannot write off child support, and that income is not counted in the calculations towards the woman's household income when creating this "women in poverty after divorce" studies. I'm not saying women aren't in comparative poverty, but every study I've seen omits this tidbit.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,176,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Idiot I've been reading the thread since it stated, just beacuse you don't like what Im telling its juvenile. Yes child support is a type of payment if you don't pay they put you in jail(Even if its not your child, but thats a diffrent topic for a diffrent day).
Run out of intelligent things to say?..this discussion is over.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,753 times
Quote:
Oh, man, why do I think we've reached our teenage audience now. That's a heck of an assumption and it's more wrong than right.

You don't know why people divorce and every case is different. My own father was married three times and after number 2 cleaned the house out while he was at work, I stood there and said, 'well, I can't see how you didn't deserve it.' He actually agreed. He just couldn't give up his girlfriends and she contributed her income to that household, the furniture, the upkeep, the mortgage. Which is typical of most divorce cases.
I'm old enough to know how divorce settlements are. So we're teenagers now? Oh, I forgot. People of the opposite sex always believe they're always right.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
The house belong to the man. He brought it in the first place and the home was his before he married her.
What are you talking about? Most couples buy a house together after they were married.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What good is it to "get the house" if she can't afford the mortgage payment, utilities, and maintenance costs on one salary?
This is a good reason why they should try to work it out, or sell the house and downsize, or the kids should go with the parent who can afford to keep them in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships