Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 12:23 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
No Braun, there is not. WA state is the most divorce friendly state in the nation for a person that was in her shoes, or so the attorneys tell me. At her age it is considered impossible to train her to bring in an income that would allow her to live in any close facsimile of the manner to which she had become accustomed during the marriage. This outcome is not common because there are few people in her situation but among those that are it is pretty much whats going to happen.

No she does not work, she has no need of it. I don't know what she is doing.

My sister is in exactly your situation and she lives in MN. She is paying her ex husband (an artist/house-husband during their marriage) alimony until 65 because he's considered too old to re-skill. He was given 50% of her 401-k and I think he will also have 50% of her Social Security. They have joint custody and she pays him child support as well.

I don't know why you think it's going to be so hard to meet a woman with assets at your age. They are not the rare birds you are implying they are. Unless you are looking for a 20 year old with a fat portfolio. At my age, all my female friends are professional working women who can hold their own, financially.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:29 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
My sister is in exactly your situation and she lives in MN. She is paying her ex husband (an artist/house-husband during their marriage) alimony until 65 because he's considered too old to re-skill. He was given 50% of her 401-k and I think he will also have 50% of her Social Security. They have joint custody and she pays him child support as well.
That is just horrific.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:35 PM

I don't come across non-professional women very often. I guess I don't travel in the same social circles they do.

Last edited by boodhabunny; 08-27-2011 at 12:45 PM..

Old 08-27-2011, 12:37 PM

Oops, sorry for the double post.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
That is just horrific.
Honestly? I don't see it that way. She entered into the marriage with her eyes open. They mutually agreed to the arrangement of him staying home and raising their daughter.

I may be the only person who feels this way, but I feel that splitting the assets acquired during a marriage 50-50 is fair. And I feel that alimony needs to be paid to the non-earning spouse for a period of time. I don't agree with the notion that a non-working spouse should be thrown out onto the street after a divorce.

Yes, my sister took a huge financial hit when the marriage ended that she will not easily recover from, if ever. That's what happens in divorce. If they were smart, they would have worked harder to keep their marriage healthy. That's my opinion, anyway.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:44 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
According to my niece, my parents have told her that marriage isn't necessary unless she decides to have children. And she doesn't plan to have kids. In my family, it's very important that children be born within a marriage and raised by two parents. Having bastard children is just not acceptable. Also being on welfare is not acceptable and would bring shame upon the whole family. And that's the way it should be for the rest of our society.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:52 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
I married for love. Not looks, not money, not status. I no longer have that opportunity. I can love, I can utterly and completely commit to one woman, but I most likely will never have the honor of her hand in marriage. Not even for what to me is the only reason that ever mattered at all. That is sad.
You sound like a good person. 20 yrs of marriage is a long time. sorry...Its nice to hear a person NOT talk about money- it doesnt fix anything and sometimes makes the relationship worse, esp. in this economy.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:57 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,734,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Unfortunately, feminism has embedded itself in the government and the government controls what we see and controls the media.

The media is backed by the powerful, evil Central Bankers that want to enslave humanity who also were the same people who funded feminism.

Wake up people!
Paranoid much?

Feminism is here to stay, you cannot stuff the genie back into the bottle. Learn to live with it or you will continue being a very bitter, angry man.

And the world is essentially run by men still, look it up sometime because your lack of knowledge on this topic is glaringly obvious.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
Honestly? I don't see it that way. She entered into the marriage with her eyes open. They mutually agreed to the arrangement of him staying home and raising their daughter.

I may be the only person who feels this way, but I feel that splitting the assets acquired during a marriage 50-50 is fair. And I feel that alimony needs to be paid to the non-earning spouse for a period of time. I don't agree with the notion that a non-working spouse should be thrown out onto the street after a divorce.

Yes, my sister took a huge financial hit when the marriage ended that she will not easily recover from, if ever. That's what happens in divorce. If they were smart, they would have worked harder to keep their marriage healthy. That's my opinion, anyway.
He's not working for that alimony. She is. While he was a SAHD he was working for the support via upkeep of the house and raising the kids. That's no longer the case. It's a matter of loafing at this point. He should, at the very least, be her housekeeper and perhaps food shopper.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:17 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
Unless you have enough money to raise a child by yourself, having a child out of wedlock is like taking a vow of poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships