Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,983,168 times

Advertisements

Most people go through phases of sleeping around to relationships several times between teens and late 20s/early 30s. Each phase helps them learn more about what is out there and what it is they want. Don't short change yourself on this experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 11:52 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,380,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny how? View Post
Remember, always sow your wild oats on a Saturday night, Than on Sunday pray for a crop failure.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:57 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,160,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
i say you shouldn't even think abt marriage until abt 35. before then the only thing on your mind should be getting as much you-know-what as possible
I dunno about 35, 30 seems reasonable.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:42 AM

591 posts, read 863,170 times
OK, you may be able to not sow them, but later, you might find out that you settled with the wrong person just because they were nice or something. Being sexual is very important, you need to also know that you are on the same level as someone else.

Now, if you had asked if someone who wished to sow their wild oats in their youth but had been unsuccessful might feel that they had lived under a cloud of failiure (that could haunt them most of their life), yes, that could happen. And God forbid if they actually got game later on, they will try to re-live the past and have a LOT of sex with a LOT of different women, much the same as some celebrities that struggled early-on will have a mansion that's too damn big and spend too damn much on party food.

Last edited by Doctor Blues; 08-26-2011 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-26-2011, 07:21 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,427,619 times
This is going to vary by individual. The influencing factors are going to be things like social conditioning, beliefs, libido and testosterone levels, and personality type. Some men are very happy forming monogamous relationships, but many more will feel the urge for variety - whether or not they act on it.

Also, there are probably two major windows of opportunity for most men to "sow". First, prior to entering their first long-term commitment, and second, after that relationship ends (as most do) and a new one begins (if that happens, and it usually seems to).

Some may miss out on the first opportunity by entering a relationship too soon, but enthusiastically take advantage of the second opportunity. I'm probably in this scenario, but have now found my second - hopefully permanent - relationship.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:35 AM

6,191 posts, read 11,796,566 times
For me, I feel that it is important. I believe that is one of the major reasons why my marriage didn't work out (besides the fact that I married the worst possible person) is because I had so many regrets from not getting to experience everything I wanted to. What I want to do before I get married is at least one girl in select European countries, and select states/regions in the States. Now what stands in the way is the girls not giving it up, and I keep getting older.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:26 AM

859 posts, read 2,817,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeyourTime View Post
I am just curious,

How important is it to a man to basically play the field and sleep with as many women as he wants?

It is something that should happen? A life phase? Or can it be bypassed with no regrets?

I have the ability too make this happen, but I am more of a emotional relationship invested person. I like to form a deep connection with those I sleep with.

The problem is I seem to find only temporary flings or one night stand type of deals.

I have developed a few deeps connections with lovers which is what I like the most but it is really hard to find that deep chemistry with someone. I am single right now.

So should I hold out in hoping to find a deep connection with someone? Or sow my wild oats or whatever.

My question basically boils down to will I regret not sowing those oats later in life? I am 29 now.
Tell me your experiences. Do you regret it?
Honestly I think this is something that every guy goes through. I'm not sure it's good, bad, right or wrong but it happens. I went through this from the time I was about 21 to 25 then got tired of it and wanted a relationship. I've been dedicated to my relationships for about the last 10 yrs without a single slip up. Get it out of your system but be CAREFUL and SAFE.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:27 AM

859 posts, read 2,817,623 times
Quote:
I am just curious,

How important is it to a man to basically play the field and sleep with as many women as he wants?

It is something that should happen? A life phase? Or can it be bypassed with no regrets?

I have the ability too make this happen, but I am more of a emotional relationship invested person. I like to form a deep connection with those I sleep with.

The problem is I seem to find only temporary flings or one night stand type of deals.

I have developed a few deeps connections with lovers which is what I like the most but it is really hard to find that deep chemistry with someone. I am single right now.

So should I hold out in hoping to find a deep connection with someone? Or sow my wild oats or whatever.

My question basically boils down to will I regret not sowing those oats later in life? I am 29 now.
Honestly I think this is something that every guy goes through. I'm not sure it's good, bad, right or wrong but it happens. I went through this from the time I was about 21 to 25 then got tired of it and wanted a relationship. I've been dedicated to my relationships for about the last 10 yrs without a single slip up. Get it out of your system but be CAREFUL and SAFE.

Honestly I think I am able to commit myself today because I already have this behind me and don't feel the need to do it again.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:35 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,703,788 times
Quote:
I am just curious,

Casual sex isn't right for everyone. Sounds as if this is true for you. If some of the farmers would just come out of the field and be courageously honest, they would tell you that the experience, while satisfying physically (depending on the man) leaves one with a cynicism and mistrust of women. This would be a serious obstacle in you finding your deep chemistry special someone. You're 29. If you have decided you want to be married one day, now would be a good time to start getting your ducks in a row (as in focusing on your career, finances, and becoming well rounded as a person) This prepares you to be a quality mate and increases your chances of attracting a quality mate.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:57 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,514,730 times
I don't think a man needs to be out there acting like a garden implement, but I do not recommend settling down early before getting as much experiences as you reasonably can. Don't get married in your teens or early 20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships