Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:41 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,507,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Marriage is not so great for women, either.

How many people know themselves well enough in their 20s to get maried?

Women have less to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 11:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,668,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
Women have less to lose.
Our 20s are our prime childbearing years, and many people (including most men on this board) agree that our looks are best in our 20s. A common boast is that a 35-year-old man is just getting started, while a woman that age is pretty much done. From that perspective, women have a lot more to lose in their 20s than men do. Our youthful looks and childbearing ability are key assets in many men's eyes, and they are nonrecoverable.

Just a different way of looking at things.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Our 20s are our prime childbearing years, and many people (including most men on this board) agree that our looks are best in our 20s. A common boast is that a 35-year-old man is just getting started, while a woman that age is pretty much done. From that perspective, women have a lot more to lose in their 20s than men do. Our youthful looks and childbearing ability are key assets in many men's eyes, and they are nonrecoverable.

Just a different way of looking at things.

You can still have kids in your 30s and early 40s. If you take care of yourself, your looks won't fade so quickly. So no, you don't have more to lose.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:44 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,092,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Me, I not sure, but most likely no. If a man marries someone who's divorced, likelihood is she'll divorce him too for no apparent reason.
Quote:
99% of the divorced men never initiate the divorce. They'll do anything to make the relationship work, but their lover always want out for no reason.

That's the way I see things.
Quote:
Mostly for alimony, or her friends encouraged her to divorce just because.
Quote:
Well, my ex has set a perfect example. I'm glad I ended the relationship before we got further.
RED FLAG on you! You ended it for no reason! So you would advise women to stay away from you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
I thought it had been established that woman were here to crush mens spirits and then kick them in the balls when they were down? It was kinda painful learning this but I had accepted it. I'm not sure if I'm willing to put my soul on the table. Certainly all three seem excessive. If we let women crush our spirits and suck our souls can we skip getting kicked in the balls when we're down? Or you can have the soul and kick us in the balls when we're down but leave our spirits uncrushed? Is this negotiable?
Hmm, I didn't know we women had those options. Man, wish I'd known that a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I could also extend your question to "Would you date a person that failed in previous relationships?" Cuz I would wonder why the heck their last relationship failed and that there must be something terribly wrong with them. It doesn't take a divorce to be a failure, ya know. Maybe I should just assume that because you failed your last relationship that you are un-date-able forever, and I won't even bother to find out about your individual situation. I will just assume you must have the cooties. See what I mean?
Quote:
Once divorced I can deal with. Anything more than that, no. We can all end up in a bad marriage, but if it's happened multiple times, there has to be a common denominator.
In my husband's case, there was a common denominator - the women were phony. He even said it was a switch that went off the day of the wedding. Prior to, sex was great, that night and forever after, no sex. Then he found me - hehe - there is no off switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb999 View Post
As a divorced person I will tell you this. I know exactly what I want and don't, and I will have no problems letting you know. I will not hide my bad habits.

Maybe I will scare some away, or a lot, but when I find "the one," I am fairly sure that is going to be "the one."

My ex-wife is a good person, but if I knew what I really wanted, I would have never married her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
My best friend married a guy who divorced twice! But, they've been together more than 12 years now, have a child, and are deeply in love. They have the best relationship I know of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
From the ppl I know it is never their fault they are divorced it is always the other person who caused the problems. Just ask a couple who divorced and they will tell you it was the other person's fault because he did this or she did that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Marriage is not so great for women, either.

How many people know themselves well enough in their 20s to get maried?
Quote:
Women have less to lose.
Spoken like a man - errr, boy maybe?

Silly OP, sorry you had a bad relationship experience. You don't know it, but it's important for learning what you do and don't want from a woman/relationship. It's the failures that teach us - whether it's business, riding a bicycle, waterskiing, or relationships. No one learns as well from their successes as from their failures.

To all of you above, thanks for the chuckles on this dreary, rainy day.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,668,277 times
Quote:
You can still have kids in your 30s and early 40s. If you take care of yourself, your looks won't fade so quickly.
Many women agree with you, but many men do not. Like I said, I'm just pointing out a different perspective. When you say that men have more to lose than women, I presume you mean money, not looks or the ability to sire children.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

Nice ad hominem.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Many women agree with you, but many men do not. Like I said, I'm just pointing out a different perspective. When you say that men have more to lose than women, I presume you mean money, not looks or the ability to sire children.

Maybe not the ability to have kids, but certainly money and looks.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,864,965 times
Its going to be dicey anyway you look at it.

Dating has to be a case by case basis (where did I just read that?), I've found the "Never been" and "Divorced" to both have varying levels of crazy. People look at me like I'm broken for never being married, some don't seem to care.

It really depends on the person, just be damn sure you know they're not going to pull the ol' bait and switch on you if it goes past the commitment phase.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:41 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,050,811 times
Red flag on me, huh? That's typical of a woman to take sides with other women. Thank God I don't have any female friends.

A lot of women end their engagements as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
RED FLAG on you! You ended it for no reason! So you would advise women to stay away from you!

Hmm, I didn't know we women had those options. Man, wish I'd known that a few years ago.

In my husband's case, there was a common denominator - the women were phony. He even said it was a switch that went off the day of the wedding. Prior to, sex was great, that night and forever after, no sex. Then he found me - hehe - there is no off switch.

Silly OP, sorry you had a bad relationship experience. You don't know it, but it's important for learning what you do and don't want from a woman/relationship. It's the failures that teach us - whether it's business, riding a bicycle, waterskiing, or relationships. No one learns as well from their successes as from their failures.

To all of you above, thanks for the chuckles on this dreary, rainy day.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:42 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,050,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
I'd never get married to begin with.

funny thing is, a good deal of my male friends that I grew up with had married in their early 20's; now that were approaching the big three zero, plenty of them have divorced. I listen to their stories, and I can see it goes both ways. A good deal of the time a lot of the trouble could have been avoided if they just dated the person for a longer period of time. Marriage is great for women and children but the incentives are horrible for men.
A lot of feminist hags will disagree with you on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships