U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 06:01 AM

18,904 posts, read 11,093,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Wonder why when either groups get together [two gay guys or two lesbians] that one seems to take on the opposite look and role If they weren't keen to the sex that they don't want to be, then why even bother trying to resemble it in looks or demeanor? When Ellen Degeneres hooked up with Anne Heche and then Portia de Rossi, the later two always looked more feminine and wore more feminine clothing than Ellen, who mostly wore jeans and plaid shirts. If they're supposed to be women who only want woman, you'd think that they'd BOTH want to look, sound and act more like a woman than a guy or even a tomboy, for that matter.
Wearing t-shirts and jeans is a far cry from being a man. Ellen is very much a woman.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 AM

17,375 posts, read 15,835,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I daresay lesbians are as good or better than anyone at falling in love based on what's inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I know more than a few straight women that are fed up with the way men think and act.
Pretty much sums it up right there, in my book. Seems obvious, in fact.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:10 AM

4,640 posts, read 2,383,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Wearing t-shirts and jeans is a far cry from being a man. Ellen is very much a woman.
I didn't say she wasn't a woman. C'mon. I'm just saying tho it seems odd that they wouldn't want each other to be more like each other in all respects.

miu- Yeah, some men can be sex crazed, but there are alot out there that can be decent too. Same can be true that some women be like that as well.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:32 AM

18,904 posts, read 11,093,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
I didn't say she wasn't a woman. C'mon. I'm just saying tho it seems odd that they wouldn't want each other to be more like each other in all respects.

miu- Yeah, some men can be sex crazed, but there are alot out there that can be decent too. Same can be true that some women be like that as well.
In all respects why? Clearly, lesbians simply want other women. Style is just a personal preference. And that's what's being noted here rather than sexual orientation.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:43 AM

7,570 posts, read 3,933,619 times
One might also ask a straight man --yes some of you posters who don't seem to get it--why you would not be interested in having a relationship with a man with overtly femaile characteristics. A drag queen or so forth. After all, you are attracted to women, so why not to men who look and act like women?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:44 AM

42,851 posts, read 51,225,654 times
That's something that's always baffled me, too. I think deep down they still want a man physically, but with the emotional make-up of a woman.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:06 AM

395 posts, read 502,836 times
You're looking at gay people and gay relationships through heteronormative gender role BS. It's the same mindset that assumes there's a "male" and a "female" role in a gay relationship. There isn't. You look at a "butch" woman and assume she wants to look like a man or be a man, or that the woman she's with really wants to be with a man. That is not the perception of the women in the relationship.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:08 AM

6,752 posts, read 2,692,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I know more than a few straight women that are fed up with the way men think and act. Especially the player types. Plus a feminine looking woman is not every person 's(male or female) ideal woman. So perhaps these butch women types are their answer to the perfect partner. Someone that looks masculine, is the stronger partner, who is sensitive and not sex-crazed and who doesn't act like a jerk.
Nice sexist post.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:13 AM

295 posts, read 255,233 times
I think you're missing the point. It's common among lesbians to take no interest in "femininity" as heterosexuals recognize that concept. So you say they "look like a man" but what you're really seeing is someone who's making no effort at all to "look like a woman" in the conventional way. Generally it's the hetero women who are working harder at their appearance! Imagine if they all stopped, society as we know it would collapse.

Here's a lesbian couple visiting Chicago. The woman on the right is the cartoonist and author Alison Bechdel:
IMG_0757 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zizyphus/5813849148/ - broken link)

Old 08-29-2011, 08:15 AM

42,851 posts, read 51,225,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Here's a lesbian couple visiting Chicago. The woman on the right is the cartoonist and author Alison Bechdel:
IMG_0757 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/zizyphus/5813849148/ - broken link)
Just out of curiosity, have they always been lesbians or did they switch teams out of desperation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships