Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,893,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I don't see that as being accurate based on the responses here.
I am happy to read this from multiple people here! My sons have cared for each and every girlfriend they have had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 03:21 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,694,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Well, except that Juliet was still supervised by her Nurse. And I'm not sure they'd be the icons for good decision-making, anyway.

Being capable of "falling in love" is not necessarily a good yardstick for having sex, anymore than being physiologically able to procreate and liking babies makes you a good parent.

There's a reason it's considered one of Shakespeare's tragedies.
I get all of that. But like the OP said, she's not advocating that young teens have sex and neither am I. I believe that her point is that many times it is assumed that young teens having sex involves a lack of respect on the part of the boy for the girl, or the girl for herself. But that is not necessarily the case--in some instances they love each other and want to have sex just like 25-year-olds who love each other want to have sex.

That doesn't make it a good idea, but it also doesn't mean that he's a user and/or she's a ****.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:39 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,187,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
There is this idea that if two teens have sex then:

1. The boy doesn't respect the girl
or
2. The girl doesn't respect herself

Do you agree with these statements?
No, but it is possible for two people to have sex without having respect for each other. For example, one was persuaded to have sex.

As far as the girl not respecting herself, that could mean that the girl is using sex to gain respect. That could be a sign of low expectations for the boy she is having sex with. In a way, she doesn't respect him because she has low expectations.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:43 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,893,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
No, but it is possible for two people to have sex without having respect for each other. For example, one was persuaded to have sex.

As far as the girl not respecting herself, that could mean that the girl is using sex to gain respect. That could be a sign of low expectations for the boy she is having sex with. In a way, she doesn't respect him because she has low expectations.

I agree that there can be times when sexual activity happens without respect. I just don't think that sex among older teens is an absolute show of disrespect.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:35 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,506,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Interesting...having raised a son and a daughter, I have learned that

Boys are pigs and it's all their fault
Girls are sl*ts and it's all their fault.

Basically, whatever type of child someone has, it's the fault of the other one if someone's little darling makes a decision that a parent does not care for and just "knows" that their child would never do without the influence of someone else's child.

Absofrigginlutely. Spot on.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:57 PM

120 posts, read 313,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Girls need to take responsibility for their own sexuality. They can say no. After that, it's a legal issue if the boys don't comply, and my sons have certainly heard that talk.
You do realize that even if a girl says yes and she is underage the boy can be charged with statutory rape ?

Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,805,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by come_back_kid View Post
You do realize that even if a girl says yes and she is underage the boy can be charged with statutory rape ?
Not if he is underage also.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:01 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,179,182 times
Quote:
If one partner is of age and the other is not, the of age one can be charged. It has nothing to do with gender.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:04 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,934,994 times
Quote:
I do, and my boys did. Fortunately, we have successfully navigated the high school years.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:23 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,231,917 times
Quote:
I have to disagree with Mattie on one point. If the teens are in love it's usually one sided. The boy might use pressure on the girl telling her he loves her and if she loved him she would give him some. Take my word for it. When a teen boy is going in for the kill, love has nothing to do with it because the little head has hijacked all thinking from the big head.
The issue of respect comes up after the dirty deed is done and it turns out the boy was just using the girl and dumps her shortly after.
As a guy (was a teen once myself too), I would agree with much of this. Boys have a physical pressure that drives them and these days there is not much in the way of societal or moral pressure for them to control their urges. In fact the opposite. They are encouraged to be selfish.

Now I do not think that teen love is one sided. I think both are genuinely "in lust". But after sex, I suspect the boy feels OK done that, what's next. or who's next.

back to the OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I have read many threads on this forum about teen sex and one theme keeps repeating itself. There is this idea that if two teens have sex then:

1. The boy doesn't respect the girl
or
2. The girl doesn't respect herself

Do you agree with these statements?
I don't agree with the two statements. My suspicion is that although some girls may have sex to somehow bolster their self esteem, most I suspect would already have good self esteem and self respect. I think boys in general love / lust the girls.

Quote:
<snip>
. Why is it considered disrespectful to have sex with someone at age 17-19 but not at 25?
I think the idea is to do with maturity and the ability to make your own decisions and take responsibility for the outcomes.

And also to protect I would suggest under age often naive girls from afre mentioned men who are driven by the 'little head'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships