Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:12 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,536 times

Advertisements

Hey guys and gals. I am in somewhat of an unusual situation compared to most people. I am a 36 year old Alaskan guy who is insanely adventurous. I was originally a flooring installer by trade but have always felt a bit bored with the standard 40 hour work week. I landed a pretty good job installing carpet in Whitehorse, Yukon Canada and worked 60 hours a week. I had a plan to save my money, pack up and move to South America and change the direction of my life to something a bit more adventurous. I followed through with my plans and i have been in Ecuador for almost 6 months now with no real plans on moving back to the US. I swear i am reincarnated from an explorer hundreds of years ago. Due to the danger of my new direction, i feel like i am having a hard time finding someone to share my life. Should I just give up on finding a woman with the same crazy sense of adventure that I have, or stay the course? I know basic Spanish, but I don't seem to relate to the average Ecuadorian woman and most women that i meet are simply here on vacation and aren't around long enough to really get to know.
I am a gold prospector with some serious future plans. We are starting our mining operation in about 2 weeks and will be working one month on and one off. I literally will be camping in the Amazon Rainforest which i absolutely love. I am just tired of being alone, but due to my career meeting the right person is pretty much impossible. I have no intention of ever leaving Ecuador as of now and will most likely make this beautiful, exotic little country my home. This wasn't meant to be a personal ad, and hopefully people won't see it so. Any thoughts? lol. Just looking for ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 12:26 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
You would definitely have to find a female who wants the same kind of "backpack adventure" lifestyle that you have.

Most women in your age group are looking to find a mate to build a stable home with, have a family, etc.

What you're doing is not for everybody that's for sure. You'll have to search in places where like minded people socialize (online) - since you're living internationally.

I did a quick search and found this:

Adventure Passions - 100% Free Adventure Dating & Social Networking, Adventurers Personals & Chat

http://www.outdoordating.com/

Old 08-31-2011, 02:21 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,283,158 times
So are you headed toward the gold prospecting / mining direction or the crazy adventurous explorer direction? Seems like the first option would be more stable and financially secure and the second would be unstable, constantly on the move with no real home.

Nevertheless, I think you would be able to find someone who seeks the thrill as much as you. The only problem is finding that girl!

I suggest using the social networks and social dating sites that we have at our disposal. I think you should be able to find someone who shares the same interests as you, as well as someone who has the same life direction. Good luck.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:44 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
You can find someone, but that person may not easily be found in the usual places. For any relationship, both people must be headed in the same direction with their lives, with similar long term goals. So you need to meet women who share your direction and vision somewhat.

I am not saying it will be easy, but it isn't impossible.

Don't sweat it either. Just make contacts with what you are doing and you may just meet someone.

Best of luck!

Old 08-31-2011, 02:48 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
"Don't start a conversation with Hola, unless we're going to speak in Spanish."- Most Interesting Man in the World

Old 08-31-2011, 03:58 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,053,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
"Don't start a conversation with Hola, unless we're going to speak in Spanish."- Most Interesting Man in the World
lol

Old 08-31-2011, 04:02 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
If the guy who sailed around the world or whatever on a boat got a girl to go with him...so can you. In his case, I believe he got a girl a couple of decades (I don't remember the exact details) younger, and knocked her up on the trip. I think he now has a partner for life. *chuckles*

In your case, only a woman with few other prospects would join you. Not that women don't like to adventure, but a lot of women think about having children and houses and money in the bank. Don't be offended. It is just the way our society is.

First, you need to get responsible:
1. Get a life insurance policy.
2. Obtain a permanent home, even if it is just a 1-BR house someplace and you rent it (I mean rent it to someone else while you're not living in it).

Once you find a girl you like, and you've gotten serious, you can discuss these items.

No, she probably isn't going to kill you for the life insurance, but she knows that if she gets knocked up, and you die or BOTH of you die or whatever, she and your child/children won't have to eat grass and live on the street. Women consider those things when deciding on a relationship, even if you're already "in love."

A career-woman is not going to give up her salary, house, retirement etc to follow you around. Unless you're smokin' hot LOL and very persuasive... Seriously. No, so you are left to pick from women who don't have successful jobs etc and are able to go away for a long time without "giving everything up."

I hope that doesn't sound negative. There are probably a lot of girls like that...new graduates (Like the gal the sailing guy picked up)...and they're not bad people, or necessarily uneducated or mean... But you will have to be the traditional "man" and make sure you are supporting her and she and the children are taken care of if anything happens to you.

I hope you take that seriously.

The next couple of years sounds interesting. Best of luck to ya!

Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,919 times
OP, i know you may want a relationship, but do you actually have the time to put forth to cultivate one? I mean it kinda sounds like you will be on the move, living out of a tent soon. I just dont see how you plan on finding someone while you are in the midst of all this..activity?

Maybe once you do all the gold mining, and just have a stable place to call home..you could try? I mean..you could still be adventurous..but at least you will be more rooted. Women like stability, even if they are adventurous. But, i guess if you want someone now, i would try to find websites (dating) that cater to adventurous people (even just regular outdoors/hiking/camping type dating sites). Good luck.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:54 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
I chatted awhile with a woman living down that way who lived in the jungle, but had solar panels, satellite internet, and was insanely adventurous by most people's standards. Of course, she's one in a hundred million, so finding her may be problematical. Perhaps you need to find a botanical researcher, anthropologist, or tropical ecologist to date - there may be a couple of dozen prospects in that group, worldwide.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:58 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
Have you asked Kathleen Turner ?

She was diggin' on a bit of adventure in the jungle with Michael Douglas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships