Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 08:52 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Nope. Sick Care ain't goin' nowhere! The "food products" in the supermarkets make sure it doesn't.
Do you think it's a conspiracy like I do?
Seriously though, while I agree with you that sick care is here to stay at some point the supply (of nurses) will out pace the demand, competition will increase (for the open positions), and the (potential) employers will hold the cards.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Do you think it's a conspiracy like I do?
Seriously though, while I agree with you that sick care is here to stay at some point the supply (of nurses) will out pace the demand, competition will increase (for the open positions), and the (potential) employers will hold the cards.
I doubt it.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:15 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I doubt it.
IDK, everyone and their fat brother are looking into nursing, a few yr ago, around here, some hospitals were actually helping people out with down payments on housing.

I think those days are gone, I've been hearing a lot about people jumping ship and getting into nursing...so it maybe become a little more glutted...

If justthe6 does, I wish her the best....

Old 09-08-2011, 12:47 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
My best friend was a critical care nurse, my sister in law and her mother are both in nursing and one of my dad's wives was a anethesiologist. What I noticed was a change in demand based on where you live. Up in the midwest it's not as in demand as one would think and many nurses have to work at maybe several hospitals to make fulll time pay and have reduced benefits and when my brother and sister in law moved to Florida - a state with a high rate of sickly aged, she couldn't get a job to save herself -even at Target, because she wasn't bi-lingual and had to correct that. Location and the type of nursing will definitely have an impact on whether or not you stay in demand. (I have got to quit goint over to W/E). Plus you have to look at population shifts in any given decade. The baby boomer generation is being followed by a generation with fewer people - so that impacts demand right there.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:11 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Sit tight and wait to see what professions become short handed because everyone is going into nursing. I would venture to guess before this decade is out the nursing profession will be glutted like so many other professions the pay for those starting out will be a fraction of what it used to be. Just my .02
The nursing pool is aging fast. The average age for an RN is 44 years old, so these nurses are coming up for retirement in not so many years.

The AACN has a predicted shortage rather than a glut.

AACN - Media - Nursing Shortage Fact Sheet

I'm an RN, I work in Emergency. This is my third country I've worked in and I have never found a problem getting a job except when I was a new Grad.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:49 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
A lot of nurses also work in non-clinical settings. My company employs about 1000 nurses who are telephonic or field case managers.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:58 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Well...I know I don't want to go back into the classroom (teacher) and I really have an interest in healthcare. I like service-type jobs. I'd never survive in an office setting.

I've also thought about a surgical tech...not quite sure yet which one would be a better fit.

I figure it can't hurt to go to the info session and get a sense of the program requirements and the fees involved.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,068,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
The nursing pool is aging fast. The average age for an RN is 44 years old, so these nurses are coming up for retirement in not so many years.

The AACN has a predicted shortage rather than a glut.

AACN - Media - Nursing Shortage Fact Sheet

I'm an RN, I work in Emergency. This is my third country I've worked in and I have never found a problem getting a job except when I was a new Grad.
As a frequent visitor of the ER...my 4 kids bow down to you!

http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/4s/sg/gc/worship.gif (broken link)

Old 09-08-2011, 09:35 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Sounds like you need AFLAC, Six!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Quote:
This just in: emergency responders have sighted something unusual in the PA floodwaters, early reports believe it to be a waggy A.
Are you really getting flooded up there?
65,000 residents are under mandatory evac orders, the National Guard is out and we rented a 26' van last night to save as much as we could from the club. The water there is already coming in and the main floor will probably be under a few feet.

Not good.

But I'm safe and on high ground and warm, so I'm good. Thank Buddha for friends - I can't see myself pedaling my road bike through the river ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships