Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 11:25 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,249,823 times

Advertisements

I'm a 25 y/o guy, living in Denver, and I'm sick and tired of being single. It feels like it's almost impossible to find available single girls in this town. The only dates I've had since I've been back here the last year and a half have been through online dating, and so far none of those have led to anything. Obviously there are dozens of factors at play, and I'm not saying it has nothing to do with me, but do you guys think geographic location is playing a large role in this?

Have you guys seen this website before?

The New, Interactive Singles Map. Or, Looking for Love in All the Statistically Wrong Places.

Not sure exactly how accurate the data is, but it does give some interesting food for thought. I find it most helpful to adjust the slider bar so it shows singles ages 20-24. Apparently there's almost nowhere in the country where there are more single women than men in this age bracket. Conceptually, I'm not really sure how that is. However, there are still some huge variances.

Denver has 91 exta single guys per 1000 single girls.
NYC the ratio is 29:1000. Washington DC is 22:1000. Those are the two metro areas I'm looking at in particular (leaning towards DC area).

Would you say my odds would be way better if I moved to the east coast? Or not necessarily? BTW, I'm Jewish, and I'm not limiting my search to Jewish girls only, but it would be nice to have that in common. Obviously there would be way more selection when it comes to that on the east coast than here.

I love Denver, this is my hometown, and I specifically wanted to move back here after living away for ~6 years in 3 different places. I don't want to move again, but I'll do it if it will make me happier. I have a good job where I am now, don't want to leave. I'm pretty confident though that I could find some good career opportunities in either NY or DC.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 01:06 AM

30,608 posts, read 21,763,953 times
I've lived in Denver when I was your age and I thought it was just ok. Dating for me has gotten easier with age. We men typically do the asking so it is in our hands whether we date or not. How well you impress your dates is up to you.
I don't really give much credibility to the demographics as immigrants are mostly men and really don't affect your dating demographic.
Good luck where ever you go!

Old 09-02-2011, 01:09 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,838,411 times
Men have a real problem now days. They can either live in a place where they can get a job and build a career or they can live in a place where there is a good supply of single women.

The women in the former have high standards, leaving out many decent guys of modest means.

If you visit the other places, you will be pilloried for being single!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 AM

591 posts, read 864,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I'm a 25 y/o guy, living in Denver, and I'm sick and tired of being single. It feels like it's almost impossible to find available single girls in this town. The only dates I've had since I've been back here the last year and a half have been through online dating, and so far none of those have led to anything. Obviously there are dozens of factors at play, and I'm not saying it has nothing to do with me, but do you guys think geographic location is playing a large role in this?

Have you guys seen this website before?

The New, Interactive Singles Map. Or, Looking for Love in All the Statistically Wrong Places.

Not sure exactly how accurate the data is, but it does give some interesting food for thought. I find it most helpful to adjust the slider bar so it shows singles ages 20-24. Apparently there's almost nowhere in the country where there are more single women than men in this age bracket. Conceptually, I'm not really sure how that is. However, there are still some huge variances.

Denver has 91 exta single guys per 1000 single girls.
NYC the ratio is 29:1000. Washington DC is 22:1000. Those are the two metro areas I'm looking at in particular (leaning towards DC area).

Would you say my odds would be way better if I moved to the east coast? Or not necessarily? BTW, I'm Jewish, and I'm not limiting my search to Jewish girls only, but it would be nice to have that in common. Obviously there would be way more selection when it comes to that on the east coast than here.

I love Denver, this is my hometown, and I specifically wanted to move back here after living away for ~6 years in 3 different places. I don't want to move again, but I'll do it if it will make me happier. I have a good job where I am now, don't want to leave. I'm pretty confident though that I could find some good career opportunities in either NY or DC.

Any thoughts?
I think you're on to something; however you should know that in D.C. if you're not a higher-up or getting a large salary that will work against you.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:01 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,115,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Men have a real problem now days. They can either live in a place where they can get a job and build a career or they can live in a place where there is a good supply of single women.

The women in the former have high standards, leaving out many decent guys of modest means.

If you visit the other places, you will be pilloried for being single!
Mod cut: Personal barb; off topic.

Back to the OP: Time and time again I've seen people move to make a fresh start only to realize nothing changes. You still have to live with you and can't escape your own personality. Before making a huge, drastic move like that, you should first examine yourself and your issues and behavior - something just might be blocking you is all. It's almost the same thing as a woman I knew and she thought the whole world was going to change when she lost weight. She was successful at losing the weight-but her personality was the same and she still had the same issues as before. The next thing is to re-evaluate your methods. Everyone in this forum who has used on line dating has had issues with it and it makes no difference where they live. Do a thread search in this forum using the words 'on-line dating' and see what you come up with. You may also need to develop more friendships and be more active out of the house and away from the computer.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-06-2012 at 09:17 AM..

Old 09-02-2011, 02:05 PM

232 posts, read 630,193 times
I am surrounded by good looking females, everywhere I have lived and visited.

There is what...600k people in Denver alone, not even counting surrounding areas. Somehow, there has got to be a female that is acceptable to you if not 1000s. If the chances of you finding a suitable girl out of 600k people (don't know how many are females, age, etc..but still...) is not good enough, I don't know how doubling or quadrupling it will help because I doubt the problem has anything to do with numbers and ratios.

Put that kid in a school with more people and more teams playing sports, he will still be picked last. You say there are 98 extra guys in your area per 1000 females. Don't be one of those 98 guys. Should be easy, since they are probably fat, spend all day playing video games, no job, no money and so on. You have a nice career already, so at least you have that going for you. You move to a place where the number is 22 out of 1000, you'll probably be one of the 22.

Last edited by Herc130; 09-02-2011 at 02:19 PM..

Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,296,284 times
DC is a sausage fest, You'd be fine in the NYC metro (Just the competition for work is very high here, especially if your working in a creative field)

Old 09-02-2011, 02:09 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,504,337 times
I'm sure there's plenty to choose from in southern California. I grew in south Florida right by the water. Never a shortage of women. Now I'm in the NYC suburbs and I realize I had it easy in Florida.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:16 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,639,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakaFlocka View Post
I'm sure there's plenty to choose from in southern California. I grew in south Florida right by the water. Never a shortage of women. Now I'm in the NYC suburbs and I realize I had it easy in Florida.
Thats funny. It seems like there's a shortage of eligible guys (regardless of income) here in SoCal. That or I'm just not looking.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:18 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,504,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerianMoonPrincess View Post
Thats funny. It seems like there's a shortage of eligible guys (regardless of income) here in SoCal. That or I'm just not looking.

OP is male though. My point is that there are plenty of women by the beach in southern Cal. There were certainly plenty of women to choose from in south Florida, summer or winter. I had it easy growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships