Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Not really. I was talking about what was correct and what wasn't.
Well, that's fine too. My use of "that" was correct and so was my use of the singular. So, at least colloquially, was Goethe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:09 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I can take wimmens 10x better than "a women". Frigging SOBBs.
That's a joke, you know it's a joke, and it's cute.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I can take wimmens 10x better than "a women". Frigging SOBBs.
Awesome...in that case can we start saying "min"? It would match up better. "I met a min" or "A question for all the min..."

Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Awesome...in that case can we start saying "min"? It would match up better. "I met a min" or "A question for all the min..."
OMG you just had me slap my knee! Hilarious. Stop it1!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Really, I'm crying over here.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 PM

Oh, by the way, one more note about grammar from a personal perspective, and probably a little more on topic: I often "dumb down" my grammar, for various reasons.

In writing, I'll do it to sound overly casual and therefore I assume the reader knows I'm being playful. For example, "Wanna go out for a hamburger, then?" "Dunno" (I don't use that one frequently but I do occasionally stick it somewhere), "What are yous tawkin'?" (when I'm being picked on by someone from the west coast, for example), or using incomplete sentences (this last, typically, for effect).

In person, I'll "dumb down" my grammar in certain ways in order not to seem the strange nerd. (Let them find out I'm the strange nerd later, I'll maintain the illusion for a little while!)

I use much more punctuation when I'm trying to make a point than when I'm just trying to get to a basic point but am not emotionally invested in being "right."

I have found, too, that the best writers, the ones that make the biggest impact, tend to mess with grammar deliberately. (I'm not in that category, I'm saying it's where I picked these habits up, I'm pretty sure.)

I do think "women" instead of "woman" is a grammatical error and not a typo. But when it comes to grammar in general, because I love the English language so much, I play with it. All the time. (There's one!) I fiddle with it. I "fun" with it. I think sometimes, other people do too.

And sometimes, I simply f * ck up, period.

It's not hard to quickly weed out the ones that (sorry...who! ) basically have grammar goin' on, but do make the occasional innocent mistake, v. the ones that really don't speak well, period.

Hope that made sense. It's my opinion on the original subject.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Or "mon"! Yeah, Mon!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Or "mon"! Yeah, Mon!
OMG. That's it. "Mon." We have a winner!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:22 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:

I do think "women" instead of "woman" is a grammatical error and not a typo. But when it comes to grammar in general, because I love the English language so much, I play with it. All the time. (There's one!) I fiddle with it. I "fun" with it.

Hope that made sense. It's my opinion on the original subject.
I REALLY hope not. While I have to rack my brain about you and I, you and he, or what have you... and often to no avail. Women vs. woman..... just aint' right.

I had a employee whose first language was Chinese, 2nd Thai, English 3rd (not sure what was 4th and 5th), and honestly, while she was not naturally eloquent in English, she was damn proficient besides advise vs. advice. Never could break her of mis-using them.

In general I'm more concerned with the mind, and the thought process than grammar and spelling. Though they usually go hand-in-hand.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
OMG. That's it. "Mon." We have a winner!
I was looking for a video, but couldn't find a good one.

Oh, well, greetings from Jamaica, mons!

JamaicaPackages's Channel - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships