Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you personally approve of interracial marriages?
Approve 190 87.96%
Disapprove 23 10.65%
Not sure 3 1.39%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,197,496 times

Advertisements

It also doesn't help being non-PC when knowing some of the answers would be modded, anyway.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I prefer to stay within my race, too. My race is human.
That's species. Hahaha!

Old 09-13-2011, 12:12 PM

663 posts, read 1,081,739 times
If you're so sheltered that you think that life experience has nothing to do with a person's views, then I weep for you.
Not sheltered at all. Grew up in two different metropolitan areas, neither of which are nice places – then and now. In both I was harassed and beat up for being WHITE. Save your tears – get this, I don’t care about YOUR life views. Try reading the post again, it was directed at YOU, not anyone else.

And if you think "half-and-half" was offensive, then obviously you haven't LIVED in the REAL world for very long.

40+ years spent in the real world.
Half and half is quite offensive here and in the real world. Ask my Filipino kids and husband. Ask some others I know. Would you call them half and halfs to their faces? If you knew me in person would you tell me I’m a mom to a bunch of half and halfs? Or do you only feel free to do that here in the anonymous world of City Data? Of ‘mixed race’ works great, try using words for good, not bad; half and half may work for you but it is offensive. Part of having empathy for others is being able to see and feel things from another’s perspective. I see no empathy in the words you chose in any of your posts on this thread. Sad.

Have you ever lived in el barrio? Been the only one of your race in a neighborhood? Been clubbed, stabbed or shot by a person of "racially different composition" (there - feel better?)? Been chased down the streets of a major metropolitan area because you were the wrong color? Ever been in prison?

I’ve been one of very few white people in my own neighborhood(s) growing up, it was not easy and many of my childhood memories are not good. I’ve managed to keep myself out of prison because I don’t break felony laws or associate with those who do, but thanks for asking.
"racially different composition" (there - feel better?)?
Do YOU feel better? I know I do when I choose words that won’t offend other people. Not thinking and saying/typing whatever comes to one’s mind usually gets most in a crapload of trouble.
Grow up.
Or, taking the opposite tack - ever lived in an upper-class, racially-close neighborhood where you're looked at like a germ? Ever been the only racially-mixed kid in a classroom full of one-race kids? Ever been ignored / dissed / insulted because you were in the minority?
Much earlier in my adult life I lived in an entire town like that. A lot of small towns in backward places are like that. Nice thing is, when you grow up and get established, you get to choose where you live. I would never again live in a place like that, or a place similar to where I grew up. I worked hard to get where I am now and no, it’s not a gated neighborhood full of white people.
In my own experience, I’ve been in classrooms where I was the only white kid. A lot of people don’t want to believe/admit reverse discrimination happens, it does. As a kid there were situations where I was automatically and unequivocally not accepted because of my own racial background. Ok, because I was a ‘cracker,’ for one. Furthermore, harassed and beat up because of it. Insulted, yes….which hardly amounted to much in comparison to the fear of having my a** kicked, daily. Late grade school through high school.
I know what you’re going to say already, so save it……white people can’t know this and they can’t know that because of this and that. I went to school, in fear, daily. It was beyond bullying, it was criminal behavior. Just as much as it would be if the racial roles were reversed. I was also raised by a drug addict mother and had a deadbeat dad, also on drugs. I was never stabbed or shot but worried it might happen one day, and with parents too coked up to care. Clubbed? No.

Animals, with few exceptions, don't interbreed. There are reasons for this. People would do well to follow Nature's example.

Thanks for the laugh. You follow your rules and I’ll just keep on, keepin’ on. Rest assured I’m not having any more kids since mine are basically grown, my “interbreeding days” are over. ROFLM-white-AO
Quote:
Making intelligent points, you cannot, by speaking this way. Ever.

When you've lived my life and been through what I've been through - and continue to go through to this day - then you can decide what is intelligent and what is not, MasterYoda.

Oh, I get it…..only if I have YOUR experience I can decide what things are intelligent and what things are not. Your story, vague as it is, is FAR from an original one. You have a huge chip on your shoulder and therefore are deciding how things can be. Half and half is offensive and struck a chord with me. I have kids who fit this description, such as it is. If you are half as smart as you insinuate you are, there are many other terms and descriptions you probably know and could have used instead – Einstein. Half and half IS derogatory. I know a white woman who has an African American daughter and if that kid’s father (or the mom, for that matter), heard someone call their kid a half and half, they would be in the ER shortly thereafter. People also judge you by your words and half and half does not sound intelligent, therefore does not make you look intelligent.

I don’t know if you have kids but how would YOU feel if they, even in the most general sense, were referred to in a derogatory manner of ANY kind? You speak to your experience and what you’ve been through…..calling people half and half and imposing your beliefs on others, that BS about interbreeding and following nature’s example…..it’s no different than what you say happened to you. How is that behavior is ok for you and not others? Because of your experience you get to call the shots? Actually, because of your experience you should try developing more empathy for others; festering resentment doesn’t look good on anyone.

It’s ok to believe what you want or choosing to be with and only reproduce with those of your own race, I’ve got no problem with that and really don’t give a s*it, to be quite honest. Being derogatory and imposing about it is quite another.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:25 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Thanks, that's because I don't personalize people's viewpoints. I don't see your decision not to date/marry outside your race as a negative reflection on me. Many of my black friends and family members only prefer to date other blacks.

My criticism and curiosity only falls among those who claim to be interracially open-minded. (Example: a person on a dating site preferring hispanic, asian, middle eastern, caucasian, etc and only excluding black).
Maybe there is something you have that I don't. I tend to personalize things and internalize things. For me, not internalizing things/not taking things personal, is very hard because I think in terms of "this is deja vu".

Old 09-13-2011, 01:32 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
That's species. Hahaha!
Ha!

Old 09-13-2011, 01:35 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Maybe there is something you have that I don't. I tend to personalize things and internalize things. For me, not internalizing things/not taking things personal, is very hard because I think in terms of "this is deja vu".
Simple. I believe your deja vu is due to your experiences growing up in a majority white rural area where you were picked on. You've experienced racism firsthand.

I grew up in a poor majority black area (urban projects) where the few whites around wouldn't dare pick on a black person.

Even though I've lived in some of the most white, conservative areas of the South as an adult, I've never experienced racism personally.
- I've only been stopped by the police when I was actually speeding (and every white officer let me go with a warning).
- Since my teens, I've received every job I went after except one.
- Finally, I've bought hundreds of houses over the past 10 years directly from whites (no realtor) in areas I wouldn't be allowed to go 50 years ago.

So, even though I sympathize with those who experience racism with police, with employment, and with housing, I can't relate because I've never had a negative encounter with a white person.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurePugx3 View Post
If you're so sheltered that you think that life experience has nothing to do with a person's views, then I weep for you.
Not sheltered at all. Grew up in two different metropolitan areas, neither of which are nice places – then and now. In both I was harassed and beat up for being WHITE. Save your tears – get this, I don’t care about YOUR life views. Try reading the post again, it was directed at YOU, not anyone else.

And if you think "half-and-half" was offensive, then obviously you haven't LIVED in the REAL world for very long.

40+ years spent in the real world.
Half and half is quite offensive here and in the real world. Ask my Filipino kids and husband. Ask some others I know. Would you call them half and halfs to their faces? If you knew me in person would you tell me I’m a mom to a bunch of half and halfs? Or do you only feel free to do that here in the anonymous world of City Data? Of ‘mixed race’ works great, try using words for good, not bad; half and half may work for you but it is offensive. Part of having empathy for others is being able to see and feel things from another’s perspective. I see no empathy in the words you chose in any of your posts on this thread. Sad.

Have you ever lived in el barrio? Been the only one of your race in a neighborhood? Been clubbed, stabbed or shot by a person of "racially different composition" (there - feel better?)? Been chased down the streets of a major metropolitan area because you were the wrong color? Ever been in prison?

I’ve been one of very few white people in my own neighborhood(s) growing up, it was not easy and many of my childhood memories are not good. I’ve managed to keep myself out of prison because I don’t break felony laws or associate with those who do, but thanks for asking.
"racially different composition" (there - feel better?)?
Do YOU feel better? I know I do when I choose words that won’t offend other people. Not thinking and saying/typing whatever comes to one’s mind usually gets most in a crapload of trouble.
Grow up.
Or, taking the opposite tack - ever lived in an upper-class, racially-close neighborhood where you're looked at like a germ? Ever been the only racially-mixed kid in a classroom full of one-race kids? Ever been ignored / dissed / insulted because you were in the minority?
Much earlier in my adult life I lived in an entire town like that. A lot of small towns in backward places are like that. Nice thing is, when you grow up and get established, you get to choose where you live. I would never again live in a place like that, or a place similar to where I grew up. I worked hard to get where I am now and no, it’s not a gated neighborhood full of white people.
In my own experience, I’ve been in classrooms where I was the only white kid. A lot of people don’t want to believe/admit reverse discrimination happens, it does. As a kid there were situations where I was automatically and unequivocally not accepted because of my own racial background. Ok, because I was a ‘cracker,’ for one. Furthermore, harassed and beat up because of it. Insulted, yes….which hardly amounted to much in comparison to the fear of having my a** kicked, daily. Late grade school through high school.
I know what you’re going to say already, so save it……white people can’t know this and they can’t know that because of this and that. I went to school, in fear, daily. It was beyond bullying, it was criminal behavior. Just as much as it would be if the racial roles were reversed. I was also raised by a drug addict mother and had a deadbeat dad, also on drugs. I was never stabbed or shot but worried it might happen one day, and with parents too coked up to care. Clubbed? No.

Animals, with few exceptions, don't interbreed. There are reasons for this. People would do well to follow Nature's example.

Thanks for the laugh. You follow your rules and I’ll just keep on, keepin’ on. Rest assured I’m not having any more kids since mine are basically grown, my “interbreeding days” are over. ROFLM-white-AO
Quote:
Making intelligent points, you cannot, by speaking this way. Ever.

When you've lived my life and been through what I've been through - and continue to go through to this day - then you can decide what is intelligent and what is not, MasterYoda.

Oh, I get it…..only if I have YOUR experience I can decide what things are intelligent and what things are not. Your story, vague as it is, is FAR from an original one. You have a huge chip on your shoulder and therefore are deciding how things can be. Half and half is offensive and struck a chord with me. I have kids who fit this description, such as it is. If you are half as smart as you insinuate you are, there are many other terms and descriptions you probably know and could have used instead – Einstein. Half and half IS derogatory. I know a white woman who has an African American daughter and if that kid’s father (or the mom, for that matter), heard someone call their kid a half and half, they would be in the ER shortly thereafter. People also judge you by your words and half and half does not sound intelligent, therefore does not make you look intelligent.

I don’t know if you have kids but how would YOU feel if they, even in the most general sense, were referred to in a derogatory manner of ANY kind? You speak to your experience and what you’ve been through…..calling people half and half and imposing your beliefs on others, that BS about interbreeding and following nature’s example…..it’s no different than what you say happened to you. How is that behavior is ok for you and not others? Because of your experience you get to call the shots? Actually, because of your experience you should try developing more empathy for others; festering resentment doesn’t look good on anyone.

It’s ok to believe what you want or choosing to be with and only reproduce with those of your own race, I’ve got no problem with that and really don’t give a s*it, to be quite honest. Being derogatory and imposing about it is quite another.
In short, you don't care what anyone else has gone through, just your experiences?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Simple. I believe your deja vu is due to your experiences growing up in a majority white rural area where you were picked on. You've experienced racism firsthand.

I grew up in a poor majority black area (urban projects) where the few whites around wouldn't dare pick on a black person.

Even though I've lived in some of the most white, conservative areas of the South as an adult, I've never experienced racism personally.
- I've only been stopped by the police when I was actually speeding (and every white officer let me go with a warning).
- Since my teens, I've received every job I went after except one.
- Finally, I've bought hundreds of houses over the past 10 years directly from whites (no realtor) in areas I wouldn't be allowed to go 50 years ago.

So, even though I sympathize with those who experience racism with police, with employment, and with housing, I can't relate because I've never had a negative encounter with a white person.
Our experiences do differ. Maybe that is why we have similar understanding, and at the same time different thinking. I do try to sympathize with people as I have experienced some racial incidents and bullying. At the same time, I get kind of upset when I run into people who seem to have hateful views and try to write off any entire race.

I have never been stopped by the police. Actually, the reason any police officer would come after me is if someone called the police on me, and it was always out of suspicion, not from any actual violation being committed. I've never gotten most of the jobs I've wanted. I was even turned down for two internships.

The owning property, well, that is all a matter of money. I'm sure if I save up my money I can buy property anywhere I want.

It was in rural Georgia where someone told me "interracial marriages are wrong" and where I ran into people who had bad views towards interracial marriages. I left that area when I got older, seeking more open-minded places.

Old 09-13-2011, 02:16 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Our experiences do differ. Maybe that is why we have similar understanding, and at the same time different thinking. I do try to sympathize with people as I have experienced some racial incidents and bullying. At the same time, I get kind of upset when I run into people who seem to have hateful views and try to write off any entire race.

I have never been stopped by the police. Actually, the reason any police officer would come after me is if someone called the police on me, and it was always out of suspicion, not from any actual violation being committed. I've never gotten most of the jobs I've wanted. I was even turned down for two internships.

The owning property, well, that is all a matter of money. I'm sure if I save up my money I can buy property anywhere I want.

It was in rural Georgia where someone told me "interracial marriages are wrong" and where I ran into people who had bad views towards interracial marriages. I left that area when I got older, seeking more open-minded places.
Even thought my life was different, I don't discount your experiences. I've had more negative experiences with my own people (no grudges though) and to be honest, I've never lived in a rural area. I've always lived in cities or suburbs. This is probably why my experiences are kinder than yours.

In regards to owning property, no you do not need money to start, you need knowledge. Remember, I grew up in the projects. I started in real estate when I was still a broke college student. I had less than $100 in the bank. I started by wholesaling properties to local rehab investors for a quick profit (a few thousand). If one follows this path, they'll eventually have enough money to buy your own houses (or enough credit and self-employment income to use local banks). Every city has vacant houses and foreclosures, and every courthouse has a public record of the investors who buy at the auctions. Approach them or send them a letter, find out what houses they want and go get those under contract.

On topic: I'm pretty sure my experiences with those who are against interracial marriage would be the same as yours if I lived in certain rural areas. I'm glad you moved out of there to places with open-minded people. I did the same after high school (which thankfully saved me from getting trapped).

Old 09-13-2011, 02:20 PM

43 posts, read 37,753 times
Why is race an issue? Why would a person of sane mind teach their children to be racist, especially in the 21st century? I have heard a lot of white people teach their children to not like minorites, blacks in particular. For the most part, blacks don't teach their children to hate because its senseless to do so. I think that's smart, I was never curious growing up about wanting to date a white person, just why do they act like they do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships