Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you personally approve of interracial marriages?
Approve 190 87.96%
Disapprove 23 10.65%
Not sure 3 1.39%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 11:38 AM

3,084 posts, read 5,235,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metye7 View Post
Why is preferences developed by experience and socialization? Because if it wasnt that, then you would be wrong thinking someone was racist?

preferences are just that preferences, they are not learned behavior. They can not be explained. It is just like I do not like the taste of chocolate, that doesnt mean I was taught not to like chocolate, it is just something that is part of who I am. Someone wont get me to change my mind and all of a sudden I like chocolate.
No one is born with a hard-wired set of preferences. Any preference can be explained if one commits the intellectual effort to examine it. They are not so much an essential part of you as a person as they are a prominent aspect of your psychosocial habit; that is to say, they don't define you. You define them. Obviously, there will be some who will remain more dedicated to their preferences than others, but that is not evidence that preferences are permanent and unchangeable for everyone.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
No one is born with a hard-wired set of preferences. Any preference can be explained if one commits the intellectual effort to examine it. They are not so much an essential part of you as a person as they are a prominent aspect of your psychosocial habit; that is to say, they don't define you. You define them. Obviously, there will be some who will remain more dedicated to their preferences than others, but that is not evidence that preferences are permanent and unchangeable for everyone.

Very true. Great post.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:40 PM
qwy

296 posts, read 520,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
They had a bad day?
This is within context of coarse. I'll give a good example, I was at a Frisch big boy restaurant one day when a white female customer was really rude to this young black girl so when the women left the young black girl and another employee started to justify the white customer's behavior by saying she was a racist and all white people blah blah blah.

So what happened? Of coarse I forgot all about the incident... Duh! But seriously, a few months later I see that same white woman inside a Home Depo and she was talking to two black teens that worked there around the same age -one male, one female- and if you would have just stood there and descreetly listened in on the conversation without any pryor knowledge of the Frisch incident you would have thought that this woman was the nicest lady, you wouldn't thought her at all racist.

My point is all of us have bad days, and just because someone of another race is a jerk to you on one occasion doesn't make them a racist, on the other hand if on the phone you don't sound ethnic and you have an average joe's name, but at the interview when they see you (actually your skin color or for asians your eyes) and they have that deer trapped in the head lights look, plus they are trying to now find reasons now not to hire you... than that should send off some strong warning bells.

I guess with me, I've heard soooooo many stories of true racism from Grandparents, older friends of grandparents, older people I've worked with, that when I hear from someone that a person wouldn't let you date there daughter.... they had to be racist... I say: "hmmm? Yeah it could be that... or it could be that you are 49 still living with your mom, don't have a job, and was trying to talk to her daughter with a beer bottle in your hand... Oh and plus the tiny little fact that ... SHE IS ONLY 17!" I know, I know, Damn racist!

Remember it's not what people say or "SOMETIMES" do, it how they think!

Chapelle Show Airplane Video by Q8djent - Myspace Video

Last edited by qwy; 10-05-2011 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: adding to text

Old 03-21-2012, 09:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Your kids will care when they get bullied in school for being "half-and-halfs".
Kids are only bullied by other children whose parents taught them that white is biologically superior to other races -- especially african americans --and something is wrong with "non-white" children. This teaching starts in the home.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:04 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I really don't know anyone who's been bullied over being interracial. My cousin is 13 and he's never had any problems. My best friend and her three sisters are interracial too, and they've never dealt with any racism.

This might've been the case maybe 10 years ago but unless they are living the sticks of some backwoods, podunk town it's not happening on the regular. There's so many interracial kids at schools today it's not funny. I think some people perpetuate this 'people will tease your half and half kids' stuff b/c they don't approve of interracial dating themselves.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:57 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,425,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyktoria View Post
Kids are only bullied by other children whose parents taught them that white is biologically superior to other races -- especially african americans --and something is wrong with "non-white" children. This teaching starts in the home.
Don't those kind of kids also get bullied by blacks as well, historically? Isn't that how it kind of is stereotypically, if you are half white half black you get it from both sides?

Old 03-22-2012, 01:03 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vyktoria View Post
Disagree. They pick up their reasons from any number of places - one of which MAY be the home.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Don't those kind of kids also get bullied by blacks as well, historically? Isn't that how it kind of is stereotypically, if you are half white half black you get it from both sides?
Maybe.....but I also know that people who are "half black" and "half white" are much more accepted by their black family members than their white family members. I know many people who won't even acknowledge that they have white relatives (or ancestors) because they have bad experiences that stem from that.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:11 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I have an issue with the words "Approve" and "Disapprove" in this context. Whom one marries is really not the business of anyone else. It's really not up to them to pass judgment.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
I was a little surprised it's only 86%, and then I remembered my hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships