Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you personally approve of interracial marriages?
Approve 190 87.96%
Disapprove 23 10.65%
Not sure 3 1.39%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times

Advertisements

I can't believe that once upon a time, only four percent of people approved of interracial marriages! Real shame...

Old 09-12-2011, 05:26 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
ONLY 86%? What is wrong with the remainder?!?!

Old 09-12-2011, 05:27 PM

769 posts, read 1,006,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
ONLY 86%? What is wrong with the remainder?!?!
Amen to that!

I cannot possibly comprehend why people are against interracial marriage. Really just blows my mind.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:28 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I can't believe that once upon a time, only four percent of people approved of interracial marriages! Real shame...
I know. I didn't realized that people were THAT racist and so opposed to it then. I would have thought that at least 10-20% of the population even then would have approved of it. But back then, when Gallup conducted this poll, they didn't divide down into race, it was all races. So, if you polled only whites, probably only 1% would have approved of it. If you excluded the NE, that % probably would have been 0%. So, virtually everyone was opposed to it. I couldn't imagine what the mentality of our country was like back then. Especially in the deep South, like in rural Mississippi.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:28 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Over 81% here approve.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,320,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
Amen to that!

I cannot possibly comprehend why people are against interracial marriage. Really just blows my mind.
I do know quite a few people who are against it. My Grandpa and my mom both don't approve of it. In fact, my Grandpa and my aunt haven't talked in 15 years because my aunt dated a black man, he found out and they had a screaming argument over it and never spoke to each other again.

A friend of mine's parents sort show hints of stigmatization toward a friend of mine's mom because she married and had children with a black man. They kind of whisper about it. I found out because my friend told me that her aunt and mom don't really like our friend's mother because she was with a black man.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:38 PM

769 posts, read 1,006,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I do know quite a few people who are against it. My Grandpa and my mom both don't approve of it. In fact, my Grandpa and my aunt haven't talked in 15 years because my aunt dated a black man, he found out and they had a screaming argument over it and never spoke to each other again.

A friend of mine's parents kind of stigmatize a friend of mine's mom because she married and had children with a black man. They kind of whisper about it.
This is no offense to you whatsoever, but I think that's terrible. Pure racism.

This is a bit of a stereotype too but the thing that really blows my mind is that most of the people against it (not saying this is your family) are probably the ultra-conservative Christian types (& I myself am indeed religious btw) and the thing about that is that Jesus taught that we should love everyone. But maybe it's just me....I just don't get it.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
For my Grandparents a Presbyterian marrying a Lutheran was a mixed marriage. For my parents marrying Catholic or a Mormon would have been a scandal. When the Army integrated fewer whites voted to serve with Jews than Blacks. Intermarriage between Korean and Japanese, AAAAHHHH!!!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:25 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
No two people are automatically compatible. That's life. That said, one cannot begin life and bridge a bond on a platform where there is everything except common ground. Two cultures can not mix. Becoz one never understands the other. That's part and parcel of an interracial relationship.
I do not agree. I am the product of an intercultural (black American, Latina) relationship, and my 'rents got along quite well.
Quote:

I quickly went on to okcupid, match and catholicmatch. Suddenly I was on dates with diverse women, all of whom look great, dress great putting their cleavages on my face and it would be fun to play every one of them.

Then I paused and asked myself, "I just got out of a mentally cathartic interracial relationship, and I am signing up for another?". What got me thinking was the movie wall street. The film opens and Shia says a line, "What is insanity? Doing the same thing again and expecting a different result"
Another definition of insanity is having a closed mind in a place like America.

Quote:
My peer asked me to come to his second kid's birthday party. So I went to Jersey, after the party, late, as usual, coz I was lost. He's an immigrant as I am. 4 bedroom house in Jersey, two garages, adorable kids, wife brings me snacks, biscuits and coffee and implores me to stay for dinner and leave in the morning. He lives a royal life and the ticker - he makes less money than I do, and his family wasn't at the same social level as mine was. We're from the same town.

Like putting salt on my wounds, while I was leaving the family was packing the car to go to some theme park in Jersey the following morning. Now why am I not having that life when I am more than capable of having it. So what did I do wrong that he did right? Poor life choices. Bad judgement.
Probably a neighbor of mine.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:26 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Like the other responders you're missing the point, but I see the lay of the land here so I'll withdraw.
Nah, Sifu, I'd like to know your point (though I sense I know)......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships