Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 09:58 AM

588 posts, read 485,263 times

Advertisements

Is it really this low? We hear about divorces all the time, specially among celebrities, it feels like at least 1 out of 3 marriages ends up in divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2021, 10:02 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
It's low, almost nonexistent amongst the people I know who got married in their 30s.

I have met people after they've been divorced though. I think most of my girlfriends in adulthood have been divorced.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:05 AM

2,867 posts, read 1,539,477 times
Yes, divorce in America is at its lowest in 50 years. In 2019, for every 1,000 marriages in the last year, only 14.9 ended in divorce.

There are many reasons for this, including that people are marrying later and the later you marry, the more likely you are to make a wiser choice and have the maturity to stick it out through tough times. Also, fewer people are choosing to marry. Marriage seems to be becoming something that draws people who really WANT to do it, with fewer and fewer people doing it just because that is what society expects of them (which is never a good recipe for marriage).

This whole business of "the divorce rate is 50%" is a misinterpretation of statistics. At one point there was a 50-50 chance of divorce. That is not the same as 50% of marriages ending in divorce. I will spare everyone the lesson in statistics but to say that chance is not the same as prevalence.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:17 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Economics might have something to do with it, too. Stagnant wages and rampant inflation basically just means that it's harder for most households to make ends meet, so those who feel stuck for practical reasons...might be a lot of people these days.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:19 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Economics might have something to do with it, too. Stagnant wages and rampant inflation basically just means that it's harder for most households to make ends meet, so those who feel stuck for practical reasons...might be a lot of people these days.
Really? People are contemplating inflation before deciding to part ways with someone?

I would think housing prices would be a bigger influence and with housing up so much, it might sway someone considering divorce to move forward with it knowing they stand to gain a windfall in most instances.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:27 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Yes, divorce in America is at its lowest in 50 years. In 2019, for every 1,000 marriages in the last year, only 14.9 ended in divorce.

There are many reasons for this, including that people are marrying later and the later you marry, the more likely you are to make a wiser choice and have the maturity to stick it out through tough times. Also, fewer people are choosing to marry. Marriage seems to be becoming something that draws people who really WANT to do it, with fewer and fewer people doing it just because that is what society expects of them (which is never a good recipe for marriage).

This whole business of "the divorce rate is 50%" is a misinterpretation of statistics. At one point there was a 50-50 chance of divorce. That is not the same as 50% of marriages ending in divorce. I will spare everyone the lesson in statistics but to say that chance is not the same as prevalence.
Yeah. That's the thing about stats. People don't look at them objectively. People see a number and they interpret it to what they WANT it to mean instead of what it could mean. So I agree, there are multiple reasons for this. If someone wants to do something they really have to evaluate the situations mainly based on their own circumstances. Statistics shouldn't really have too much of an influence on something as personal as a relationship.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:51 AM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Really? People are contemplating inflation before deciding to part ways with someone?

I would think housing prices would be a bigger influence and with housing up so much, it might sway someone considering divorce to move forward with it knowing they stand to gain a windfall in most instances.
I think stagnating wages and the high cost of housing are both contributing facors to delaying marriage. The people who tend to divorce the most are the people who marry the youngest. The risk of divorce plummets for people who marry after 25. Male brain's don't stop growing until 25 and males under 25 are more impulsive and take much more risks (think about car insurance rates).

If you look at who gets married today, it the wealthiest and best educated. The people who used to be the most likely to get divorced are now just not getting married at all.

Old 10-08-2021, 10:54 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post

If anything, higher housing prices would be an incentive to stay together. Supporting yourself is much tougher on a sole income these days. If I could get a partner to move in with me, splitting a market rate apartment in Charlotte would save me a bunch of cash on the first of the month rather than bearing it all by myself.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 10-08-2021 at 11:14 AM..

Old 10-08-2021, 10:54 AM

1,651 posts, read 863,761 times
Quote:

Quantifying the divorce rate is tricky. The problem is inconsistent data. Each state records information differently, and there are 50 states. The statistic provided by the quoted poster is I believe the flow in and flow out method. For every 1,000 marriages in 2019 there were 14.9 divorces. This is confusing because it would lead people to believe there is a 14.9/1000=1.49% chance of divorce, which isn't accurate, but it's not attempting to "chance of divorce." One thing agreed amongst most is the rate of divorce is declining, and probably much lower than previously reported. I attribute this to the following factors

1) Not as many people getting married leaving only people who really desire marriage and have the fortitude to stick it out remaining.

2) Cost of divorce convincing people to stick it out and just transform their marriage into a partnership (like Will Smith and Jada Picket). I anticipate marriages like this becoming more popular in the future.

3) Millennial generation being the product of divorces and therefore avoiding the pitfalls that befell our parents. Choosing mates more wisely, settling down later when more mature, and seeking therapy when troubles first emerge. Also being more suited for changing social norms, such as women working.

4) Higher percentage of 1st and 2nd generation immigrants. Divorce is still taboo in many cultures. Better to hate each other but stick together for the children in many of these cultures.

Old 10-08-2021, 11:08 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:

So true. Lowest in 50 years because 50 years ago, it was just becoming more socially acceptable to get a divorce, instead of suffering through a bad marriage with no options because that's what you were "supposed to do". Sometimes divorce is a blessing, not the outrage some want to make it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships