Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think/do?
Walk out of the relationship 14 25.93%
Sign it because l love the person 13 24.07%
Prenuptals spoils relationships 9 16.67%
Prenuptals strengthens relationships 6 11.11%
Concept behind prenuptial is finance & not love related 30 55.56%
Concept behind prenuptial is love & not finance related 2 3.70%
Prenuptial turns relationships into companies/ corporations 7 12.96%
Prenuptial doesn't turn relationships into companies/ corporations 8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 04:48 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,187,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Hhhhmm could be. I guess it is the wealthy men who are taken to the cleaners in divorce. Getting married and/or pregnant by a rich man is a woman's lottery ticket and career move as bad as it may sound.

Seems women are against prenups. Sure, there are exceptions.
My mom had something drawn up with my step-dad. She wanted to make sure that her home and savings didn't end up partially going to his grown kids if something happens to her. That makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 05:26 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
The difference is that...as a rule, women are more emotion bound. I'm a woman and when I took my hubby in, I was more stable with a house, good job, and a nice car...then the wheel of fortune turned.

Now we're both enjoying the bounty and feel so blessed.
Good for you Ans57. Normally, and as women have expressed here, women are more attracted to men who earn more than them or at the very least about the same but not below. Hey, there are exceptions. It’s nice things are working out well for you.

Braunwyn,
Just protecting her assets I guess. Some men probably like to protect theirs before a second marriage.

Doesn’t make sense if both go into marriage with nothing and start from scratch. Prenup for what? Makes more sense for wealthy men to ask for a prenup but then again, what woman out there would be willing to sign one and lose her opportunity for a career move if a divorce comes knocking at their door?

Old 09-19-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:

Braunwyn,
Just protecting her assets I guess. Some men probably like to protect theirs before a second marriage.

Doesn’t make sense if both go into marriage with nothing and start from scratch. Prenup for what? Makes more sense for wealthy men to ask for a prenup but then again, what woman out there would be willing to sign one and lose her opportunity for a career move if a divorce comes knocking at their door?
Sense here being the operative word. The vast majority of posters here and the vast majority of people have very little. I guess it's entertaining to argue for the rich and famous, as far as first marriages go, but it's nothing to take to heart for most.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:56 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,793 times
Haven't visited this one in a while. Lot of children here. Thats what I hear when someone says "Marriage is about love and commitment, I wont sign on principle because I plan on being married forever and I'm going all in blah blah blah". I hear the sound of a child who says something that I wish was true but know to be false. What is a truth is that some of those very people who said that on this thread will find themselves facing divorce. This will happen. Not might, will. This is going to be painful for them, for some very painful. And yes a few of the very people who said that on this thread will likely have had a better and by that I mean more fair and equitable outcome with a properly executed prenup. Then they will speak differently of them though because like me they will have been humbled. But that is in the future, for today they can speak of what they do not know about a place they have never been doing something they have never experienced.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:44 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman1 View Post
Haven't visited this one in a while. Lot of children here. Thats what I hear when someone says "Marriage is about love and commitment, I wont sign on principle because I plan on being married forever and I'm going all in blah blah blah". I hear the sound of a child who says something that I wish was true but know to be false. What is a truth is that some of those very people who said that on this thread will find themselves facing divorce. This will happen. Not might, will. This is going to be painful for them, for some very painful. And yes a few of the very people who said that on this thread will likely have had a better and by that I mean more fair and equitable outcome with a properly executed prenup. Then they will speak differently of them though because like me they will have been humbled. But that is in the future, for today they can speak of what they do not know about a place they have never been doing something they have never experienced.
I'm sorry you feel this way. Something must have happened in your relationship that made you lose faith in marriage based on love and trust. My heart goes out to you.
But no...marriage of this kind does not always end up in divorce where one party is left cleaned out financially, mine has been for 28 years and going stronger still spiritually.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:47 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,561 times
Quote:
Hhhhmm could be. I guess it is the wealthy men who are taken to the cleaners in divorce. Getting married and/or pregnant by a rich man is a woman's lottery ticket and career move as bad as it may sound.

Seems women are against prenups. Sure, there are exceptions.
Except that wealthy men can afford high-priced lawyers to avoid being taken to the cleaners and they are more likely to demand a prenup in the first place.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:14 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
Or you can say what my husband told me when we first got married, "you need to sign this prenup for YOUR protection" Biggest BS statement I have ever heard But hey, maybe she will buy it!

On top of the fact that he was a foreigner, lost his job and would have had to go back to his country of origin. We married in 4 days. He put the prenup in front of me the night before the we got married. The prenup was downloaded off the internet and it is TOTALLY one sided (to his favor). I signed it because I wanted to marry him and loved him. Didn't give a rats about what he had (which isn't much to begin with!!!)

And it shouldn't be a surprise that I don't contribute to the payments of the home we bought together (it was his down payment so that would never be mine) because according to this ridiculous prenup, I wouldn't get a dime of this house if we divorced. Sure, it makes for a great marriage...

I keep hoarding money in a secret bank account because "you never know" and I don't want to me left in the cold. He only created resentment and secrecy for me. He doesn't trust me and I don't trust him. Lovely!!!
haha! free rent and squirrel away money.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:27 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,354 times
what do you think would be a fair prenup if seniors marry. one is terminally ill with assets and children. the other is broke and likes to shop.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
what do you think would be a fair prenup if seniors marry. one is terminally ill with assets and children. the other is broke and likes to shop.
That was sort of the case with my mom, tho, she's not terminally ill (thank god). My step-dad didn't have a pot to **** in or a window to throw it out of. She had something drawn up to protect the house and her savings (cash, stocks, etc). It's a sticky situation and it draws a line between them in their marriage.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:29 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
I'm sorry you feel this way. Something must have happened in your relationship that made you lose faith in marriage based on love and trust. My heart goes out to you.
But no...marriage of this kind does not always end up in divorce where one party is left cleaned out financially, mine has been for 28 years and going stronger still spiritually.
I did not say always, as bad a word as never if a person wants to eat crow. Still the numbers (pick any you want they vary widely based on the source or methodology but at best are somewhat grim) indicate a good chunk of marriages will end up in divorce and few people marry on a lark. Most of those divorced people were like me and believed their marriage would work. I had been with my wife for longer than you are now married. We were living the life, wonderful kids, big house, private schools, so on. While vacationing she broke her back in the surf and we didn't know that the first step on the road to hell had been taken. She would need a surgery to separate some bone that became fused and was causing endless pain but it carried a risk of paralysis and she decided to stick to meds which were working at that time. She would become addicted. Things became ugly and then went completely sideways. It would end when I drove up to my house and all my relatives, her relatives, close friends, were there. I thought it was another intervention and so it was, for me. They entreated me to seek divorce before I was destroyed with everything else. I had refused to give up. I divorced my wife. I loved her even as I signed the papers.

I know what love is, I was and still am a believer. I can never again live in your world where I believe beyond doubt that my love will conquer all because I know that this is not true, my love may not be able to save the one I love the most. It possesses no magic powers, it can fail. This is the world I live in. From there I need only know that I have children I want protected as best I may and I have assets which can be attacked in WA state by a significantly lower earner which for me will always be the case.

Two last thoughts. I agree with many here that some of the young fellows here talking prenup are not doing so for the right reason or actually have no real use of one. Finally, I salute you and your beloved. You have attained what I would give everything I have if only I could get it back. I pray that you keep it and I mean that sincerely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships