Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you found out your boyfreind was a registered sex offender you would.....
Break it off immediately, no questions asked 51 41.46%
Find out the circumstances surrounding the incident an go from there 71 57.72%
Leave the past in the past and continue to date him 1 0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 02:20 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,303,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlife2 View Post
She was a freak in teh sheets for 3 years so it was not a total loss...
I don't know if this was meant to be funny, because it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 PM

76 posts, read 166,238 times
Just found the guy I'm dating on the sex offender site for sexual abuse 3rd degree which happened 10 years ago. How do I ask him about it??
What EXACTLY does this mean?

Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,728,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It would depend. If he was registered because he was charged with statutory rape when he was 18 dating his 15-16 year old gf, then I'd feel for him. With that said, being with someone that has a record like, something that will follow him around for the rest of his life (fault or not fault), might not be doable.

this.

I picked 'break it off w/ no explanation' but then this make more sense to find out first.

Also, he can tell you anything, who cares? I would go into looking it up for news stories containing his name to get the straight story. I bet every kiddie predator that is free tells the same example to women that Braunwyn gave. Can't trust anything they're telling you.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
No matter the circumstances, if he told me only after he had become my actual "boyfriend" he'd be dropped like a hot potato. I've dated guys with legal issues (though never a sex offender) - they were each upfront about their situation from the very beginning of our contact.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:06 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,196,428 times
You'd leave him in a second no questions asked. Lets be real

Old 10-01-2012, 01:18 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1000 View Post
Just found the guy I'm dating on the sex offender site for sexual abuse 3rd degree which happened 10 years ago. How do I ask him about it??
First I would try to find out just what is considered 3rd degree sexual abuse in my area.

Perhaps call your local prosecutor's office and ask them....it's a place to start.

I would tell them why I wanted to know and I would also tell them the charge was 10 years old....definitions can change over the years.

I would want some factual knowledge before I asked him about it.....knowledge is power.

It could be something as benign as an 18 year old having sex with his 17 year old girl friend......or getting caught pissing behind a bush in the park.....who knows?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:10 PM

76 posts, read 166,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
First I would try to find out just what is considered 3rd degree sexual abuse in my area.

Perhaps call your local prosecutor's office and ask them....it's a place to start.

I would tell them why I wanted to know and I would also tell them the charge was 10 years old....definitions can change over the years.

I would want some factual knowledge before I asked him about it.....knowledge is power.

It could be something as benign as an 18 year old having sex with his 17 year old girl friend......or getting caught pissing behind a bush in the park.....who knows?
Well, I'm hoping it's the age situation because he would have been 21 at the time.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:25 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1000 View Post
Not sure if this is true for all states, but there should be a list of definitions of sex offenses on your state's Megan's Law website.

When I was looking at houses, I was using the website to look for registered sex offenders who lived near any home I was interested in buying. One day I was sitting at the computer with my boyfriend, looking through all the names in a specific zip code. I made the off-handed remark, "Wouldn't it be messed up if we knew someone on here?" No sooner does that come out of my mouth than he says "Wait a minute! I know that guy!", and points to a picture. I do a double-take and say, "Oh, s**t, I know him, too!" This was a guy who tried to date me when I was in high school, but he creeped me out, so I got away from him. I can't say I was all that surprised to see his face on that website. Dodged that bullet, I did.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:36 PM

810 posts, read 1,762,782 times
My first thought was dump him ASAP. However there are simple things that could have happened which would not deserve the term "sex offender."
It's hard to even say what I would do I guess it would depend on the relationship.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
It could be something as simple as being two or three years older than his girlfriend whom he had consensual sex with while she was considered underage. I'd find out the details (by getting the court transcript) first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships