U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:00 PM

8,563 posts, read 5,864,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Maybe in your eyes but we are going by Catholic rule of law, and their law is the bible.

Personally, I think it is a bad idea period.
The bible is absolutely full of immorality condoned by god, why would sleeping with someone while you are in the process of divorce be any less moral?

But if people wish to live by someone else's rules, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 05:22 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,875,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyOne View Post
We are catholic and my best friend knew this guy for a long time and he just broke it off with his wife. They are in the process of getting a divorce now ans shes been dating him they been separated for a couple of months now. Shes ready to have sex with him but was concerned about religion and the church...is she sinning sleeping with him and hes legally married? I think she is and i attend church and study the bible when i can but i am not sure. Not sure, any catholics have an opnion?
As lovesMountains pointed out, the Catholic Church won't accept that someone is divorced. One can get legally divorced, but for the Catholic Church one is still married so, yes, it would be adultery I guess?

You can ask for a marriage to be annulled by the Church, but it takes time and money and only a minority of cases are accepted.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:32 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,875,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
The bible is absolutely full of immorality condoned by god, why would sleeping with someone while you are in the process of divorce be any less moral?

But if people wish to live by someone else's rules, so be it.
I totally agree with you, but if I were a practicing Catholic (I was baptized and had my First Communion -not my idea-, but that was it) I would do things the Church's way.

If people want to be Christian and negotiate or listen to God so as to skip, or not skip, some rules, and be accountable only to Him, there are other denominations. If you're a Catholic and really want to abide by what the Vatican says, you must be ready to sacrifice a few things. It would be hypocritical to do otherwise, IMO.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:36 PM

2,934 posts, read 2,933,610 times
Take my word for it, seperated does not mean divorced. Even though he has left his wife, that does not mean the marriage will not be reconciled. It is definately a sin to be involved in this relationship. The best thing that can happen here is that the broken marriage can be fixed. A marriage is a PROMISE before god.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:38 PM

9,717 posts, read 6,797,327 times
I say they should do what they desire....Only "god" can be their judge as to weather they've sinned or not......no-one else!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:07 AM

6,194 posts, read 5,341,610 times
From a Christian standpoint, I would say that yes it is adultery. God does not like divorce, but has established provisions for it. However, if the divorce is not completed, then it is not completed yet.

I would be cautious in getting too involved with someone going through an active divorce anyway. I would at least want to know it is done before becoming too emotionally involved.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:22 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,191,288 times
Quote:
We are catholic and my best friend knew this guy for a long time and he just broke it off with his wife. They are in the process of getting a divorce now ans shes been dating him they been separated for a couple of months now. Shes ready to have sex with him but was concerned about religion and the church...is she sinning sleeping with him and hes legally married? I think she is and i attend church and study the bible when i can but i am not sure. Not sure, any catholics have an opnion?

In Catholocism, the premarital sex is a sin.

Dating a legally separated man is dating a technically married man. His dating and having sex with another person while legally separated is interfering with the separated partner's marriage. Separated spouses reconcile all the time. The best chances for this is when either or both spouses have NOT begun a relationship with someone else while estranged from each other. Christian marriage is ordained by God, (His will is that married people stay married, ideally) therefore dating a separated person is a sin. Having sex with him thereby weakening his bond with the estranged wife and strengthening her own bond with the man, is a sin against the marriage and harms spouses and any children the marriage has produce. The specific sins would be: Adultery for him, fornication for her.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,191,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I say they should do what they desire....Only "god" can be their judge as to weather they've sinned or not......no-one else!
If people here are judging, then God will handle that, accusing people of judging is not necessary.

God has provided His holy word (the Bible) and the Gospel so people who desire to follow Him will know where He stands on these matters. If by some misfortune the legal separation progresses to divorce because of the illicit separated relationship, the abandoned spouse may ultimately blame God for the death of the marriage. When in reality, the divorce occurred at least in part due to the actions of two rebellious people, making choices that God's word declares to be a sin.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 PM

3,735 posts, read 2,305,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
He is either married or not married. There is no "sort of." And legally, separated is still married.
In a nutshell ^^^^.

So, to answer your question: Yes.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:27 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,329,256 times
Quote:
Yes, it's a sin, but why would you limit yourself to that? It's common sense that divorces don't happen overnight. Just because the paper is stamped doesn't mean the relationship wasn't over prior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships