Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Are you kidding? Every clear message of interest I've given early in a relationship (asking them to call me, suggesting we declare we are dating, etc) has been returned by the guy freaking out and disappearing on me. These are guys who had pursued me and we had a great connection but as soon as you stop playing coy they bolt.

Yeah, guys in their early 20s aren't known for their reliability and commitment but plenty do manage to call a girl their girlfriend without acting like they're being lead to the gallows.

When a girl pursues a guy and he isn't interested, she's a psycho. When a guy pursues a girl who isn't interested, he's just being a guy. If I have to play hard to get and keep my distance until I'm sure a guy isn't going to panic and run as soon as I let him know I'm into him, so be it.
This has been my experience as well, and why I am currently struggling with a situation where I've gone on a couple dates with a guy, and I want to continue doing so but I'm afraid if I push the issue he'll run.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:18 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,887,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError
Are you kidding? Every clear message of interest I've given early in a relationship (asking them to call me, suggesting we declare we are dating, etc) has been returned by the guy freaking out and disappearing on me. These are guys who had pursued me and we had a great connection but as soon as you stop playing coy they bolt.

Yeah, guys in their early 20s aren't known for their reliability and commitment but plenty do manage to call a girl their girlfriend without acting like they're being lead to the gallows.

When a girl pursues a guy and he isn't interested, she's a psycho. When a guy pursues a girl who isn't interested, he's just being a guy. If I have to play hard to get and keep my distance until I'm sure a guy isn't going to panic and run as soon as I let him know I'm into him, so be it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
This has been my experience as well, and why I am currently struggling with a situation where I've gone on a couple dates with a guy, and I want to continue doing so but I'm afraid if I push the issue he'll run.
I'm curious. Why waste your time on someone that "fragile"? He's obviously not that interested if he'll run away due to you expressing your interest. That's supposed to be a good thing.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:44 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Those type of men call it "game" for a reason. They are very good at manipulating women into thinking they feel a connection.

Quote:
It seems like every time I come here I have to say this over and over again: you're pursuing the wrong people. When it comes to relationships, too many people out there (men and women) are incredibly bitter from repeated failure. Yet, they make no effort to change anything. Change the type of person you pursue, and you could very well find exactly what you're looking for. If you are afraid of showing strong interest and not a high schooler, then that person is not the right person. Shake things up a bit and you could strike gold!

Old 10-12-2011, 01:45 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Change the type of person you pursue, and you could very well find exactly what you're looking for.

Bingo. Yes, it's really that simple.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:01 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Default Why do men still have a purse?

Well...

I don't know?

I guess they are in touch with their femine side.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:23 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Those type of men call it "game" for a reason. They are very good at manipulating women into thinking they feel a connection.

It seems like every time I come here I have to say this over and over again: you're pursuing the wrong people. When it comes to relationships, too many people out there (men and women) are incredibly bitter from repeated failure. Yet, they make no effort to change anything. Change the type of person you pursue, and you could very well find exactly what you're looking for. If you are afraid of showing strong interest and not a high schooler, then that person is not the right person. Shake things up a bit and you could strike gold!
I'm trying here, this one seems to be interested, but after failing so many times, it's hard to understand what's genuine interest vs. BS. I used to always let them know when I was interested, now I'm forced into being more cautious.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:03 PM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Here's how I know when a guy is interested: he asks me out and wants to spend time with me. And if he doesn't? Then I conclude he's not interested...or not interested enough. It's really pretty simple.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:30 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,845,848 times
Quote:
I'm trying here, this one seems to be interested, but after failing so many times, it's hard to understand what's genuine interest vs. BS. I used to always let them know when I was interested, now I'm forced into being more cautious.
I understand that you would feel this way since it sounds like you've been played several times in the past. I had been too (by women who like those games). Here's where the numbers game comes in. Don't try to "hook, line, and sinker" any guy. Go out, have fun, and be yourself. If a guy is uncomfortable with your expressed interest, then he'll leave and you'll have little time wasted off the bat.

This goes along with a post not too long ago about being on your "best behavior" those first few months. Don't ever try to be on your "best behavior," just be you! You'll be pleasantly surprised when you find someone who values your proclivity to be genuine. Those are the type of people that don't hide behind barriers or play silly dating games. They are exactly who they are, and that's the ONLY thing they would ever want you to be. Good luck with your search!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:02 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
Quote:
I understand that you would feel this way since it sounds like you've been played several times in the past. I had been too (by women who like those games). Here's where the numbers game comes in. Don't try to "hook, line, and sinker" any guy. Go out, have fun, and be yourself. If a guy is uncomfortable with your expressed interest, then he'll leave and you'll have little time wasted off the bat.

This goes along with a post not too long ago about being on your "best behavior" those first few months. Don't ever try to be on your "best behavior," just be you! You'll be pleasantly surprised when you find someone who values your proclivity to be genuine. Those are the type of people that don't hide behind barriers or play silly dating games. They are exactly who they are, and that's the ONLY thing they would ever want you to be. Good luck with your search!
This is great advice for dating and for life in general. My life got so much better when I stopped worried about making people like me. Now, I just am who I am. I lay my cards out on the table and if I click with someone - great! If not - who cares. My husband loves me just the way I am - flaws and all. My friends, too. If someone doesn't like me because I'm too silly or dorky or clutzy - no biggie. I'm not a cool person - and pretending to be one or trying to be one was just too hard. Funny - but I think more people like me now that I'm comfortable being the quirky dork that I am that ever liked me when I was trying to be something I was not. I think this is true for relationships, friendships, and just life in general.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:52 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,277,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Here's how I know when a guy is interested: he asks me out and wants to spend time with me. And if he doesn't? Then I conclude he's not interested...or not interested enough. It's really pretty simple.
Same thing the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships