Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 03:50 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
This my friend is not necessarily true. If you look on T.V. you will see commercials that are aimed towards men about using products that combat the effects of hair loss (Rogaine). And if older men aren't losing their hair it's probably getting gray which is why hair club for men exist. Men, like women are human which means they are prone to becoming self conscious as well no matter how society tries to downplay this fact.
Yes there are some products out there for men but can we say AS MUCH as for women? Watch men tv shows (sports, comedy, etc.) and pay attention to the commercials: beer, pizza, cars, etc. Watch women tv shows and check out their commercials. Flip through a woman magazine and then a men magazine (Maxim, Car Magazine, etc.) and what ads do you see predominant? Look at bulimia/anorexia stats and the vast majority who you’ll see in the stats are women, a small minority men. As for beauty and anti-aging, anti-wrinkles, etc. products we are still quite far from saying that there are as many of those for men. Heck, I don’t remember if I ever saw anti-wrinkles creams/lotions for different parts of the face for men the last time I was in the USA. Ask a men how much they weight then ask a women, how do they normally react to that question?

Do men worry care their appearance? Sure. But do men stress it as much as women? Not sure about that. This is not a good or bad thing.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:22 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
This is great advice for dating and for life in general. My life got so much better when I stopped worried about making people like me. Now, I just am who I am. I lay my cards out on the table and if I click with someone - great! If not - who cares. My husband loves me just the way I am - flaws and all. My friends, too. If someone doesn't like me because I'm too silly or dorky or clutzy - no biggie. I'm not a cool person - and pretending to be one or trying to be one was just too hard. Funny - but I think more people like me now that I'm comfortable being the quirky dork that I am that ever liked me when I was trying to be something I was not. I think this is true for relationships, friendships, and just life in general.
I went through the same thing in my 30s... I think that is why I am so darn happy now. And yes, I think people like me more now... not caring what others think IS what makes people cool (while still being a caring person).

What you wrote about is the ultimate self confidence and that's awesome!

Old 10-13-2011, 05:25 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Yes there are some products out there for men but can we say AS MUCH as for women?
Who cares? Who's keeping score? (Except for you.)

Old 10-13-2011, 05:30 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
And yes, I think people like me more now... not caring what others think IS what makes people cool (while still being a caring person).
I have found this to be true too. I'm very attracted (not just romantically, in all ways) to people who are really "themselves" and happy about it.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:36 PM

78 posts, read 81,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
Why do men still have to pursue?
Well you don't you just will have less choices and missed opportunities.
But if you are lucky like me it will all work out. Since if a woman is willing
to pursue you it likely means they probably really like you.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:41 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,844,740 times
You don't have to pursue at all. Some men don't pursue and still manage to hang out with models all day:

Sci-Fi Geek Only Hangs Out With Models | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Old 10-13-2011, 10:11 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,639,191 times
When did men become such *******? Is it sheer laziness or are men today more delicate and emotional than men in prior generations? Little Girlie-men. I mean there's sensitive, and then there's this whole other level where the man is askeered and passive. I'll tell you one thing: it is not attractive.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:26 PM

45 posts, read 45,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
When did men become such *******? Is it sheer laziness or are men today more delicate and emotional than men in prior generations? Little Girlie-men. I mean there's sensitive, and then there's this whole other level where the man is askeered and passive. I'll tell you one thing: it is not attractive.
I'm having a hard time understanding your logic. Your post hints at if some guys (not all, stop generalizing its unbecoming and a little pathetic) choose to not pursue women they are *******? Interesting. Let's say a guy and a woman meet, they click and everything goes great, the woman is throwing out all the right signals but only keeps the guy around because she likes to be chased. After a few days/weeks/months of chasing said woman the guy notices that nothing is going to happen so he stops pursuing her. Is said guy a "girlie man" because he chose to move on or take a break? Put yourself in a guys shoes and imagine this has happened for years, how would you feel about being the only one doing the pursuing? Posting general blanket statements is apparently the "in" thing now.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:26 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Ehhh.... Another one who just can't accept the fact that people are different. How immature. How old are you 4? Why would any man approach you with such a attitude like that?

Old 10-14-2011, 12:06 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,639,191 times
You misconstrue.

If a man sees/meets a woman and he likes her or thinks he could like her (assuming he is single and available) and then he does nothing about it, doesn't get her number, doesn't initiate, and hopes (or expects) her to ask him out, expects her to make the first move to initiate a date, and expects her to plan their dates, then yes, I call that passive and girlie-mnan behavior. To me that is a guy who wants zero risk. I'm seeing this happen more often (or reading about it on forums).

If, however, a man has attempted to get to know a woman and asks her out and said woman is not interested or is not reacting favorably to his courtship advances, or they've gone out and she's not accepting further invites, then no, that's not passive girlie-man behavior. That's normal behavior. It means it's not a good match and there's no further use pursuing.

I'm obviously referring to the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships