Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,276,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
All things being equal? Well, all things are never equal, but if this were a Disney movie, sure, the guy with more would win out. Cinderella would meet her prince charming. I don't deny that. I just don't apply the rules for the fantastic to the day-to-day reality of common joe's and jane's.
Disney movie or not a nice average joe vs the nice average joe with less money, less attractive car, less attractive job, etc. results are the same. The average joe with MORE money is more desirable, attractive, sexy, etc. for women.

Quote:
And both will most likely be of the same social class. The man with the luxury car will end up dating the hot woman with the luxury car
Not necessarily. It is common for men with money to go out with a woman they find attractive and nice to be with regardless of her income. Woman even admit men are easier to please than women. Women normally are attracted to men who are above their level or at least the same. But below? Rarely. Sure sure sure, there are exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 01:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Beer View Post
Military regulations exist to maintain conformity. Men and women have different regulations as they are not the same. The military shouldn't be the platform upon which to perform some progressive social experiment. It's not a double standard, it is one standard called the military standard.

Because dresses are formal for women. Military working attire is not the same as formal wear, therefore you're either missing the point completely or trying to inject some idealized utopia wherein men and women are treated exactly the same. That's idiotic. Men and women are different.

Kind of like seperate but equal?

Military aside, why should women have to wear dresses to be formal when men only have to were nice pants. Not trying to be argumentative but just curious to why you believe so.

Isnt the topic double standards between the genders. And wouldnt the opposite of that be the idea situation where concepts are applied exactly the same to men and women.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
That's exactly how I feel. Whenever I see the women bustling about to cook or clean up (and it's always the women), I would feel so awkward if I just sat and watched TV, like I'm not doing my fair share (especially if I finish my tasks early).
It is a double standard and I totally agree with you gals. Women cooking and setting the table while their man is just watching TV?! The double standard is for women to complain about this but not say a single word when it comes to dating and men taking care of all expenses, romancing, initiative, proposal, engagement ring, etc.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
IMO, Straight men get away with far more homoerotic activity with each other than straight women do these days.
I have seen this with my own eyes. The guys at work are hilarious with their pretend gayness toward one another. All in jest of course but they do things that would never have been tolerated 20 years ago.

Maybe it's American men, because I never really saw this when I lived in NZ or Australia.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:46 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
It is a double standard and I totally agree with you gals. Women cooking and setting the table while their man is just watching TV?! The double standard is for women to complain about this but not say a single word when it comes to dating and men taking care of all expenses, romancing, initiative, proposal, engagement ring, etc.
Men don't take care of all the expenses. More women are now expected to pay their own way.

So that leads to double standards again. For domestic issues, women are stuck doing the majority of chores yet financially they must share the responsibility.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:51 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Why is the impetus all on the women in your scenarios? Why isn't it up to the men to say "hey, anyone need help cleaning up?" or "I got the movie tickets last time-it's your turn." In your world, men are apparently just chumps who get passively steamrolled by women.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Men don't take care of all the expenses. More women are now expected to pay their own way.
Some women out there may offer to split the tip or something after they have gone through the initial stages (after months or years) but women generally speaking do not contribute to dating expenses as men do. There are even threads out there now where women agree that men should pay.

So, yeah, there is a double standard for women to cook while men don't. And also another one to have men take care of the initiative, asking out, covering all dating expenses, taking care of the romancing, proposing marriage, the engagement ring, etc.

Last edited by onihC; 09-27-2011 at 02:09 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 02:02 PM

Double standard...women hitting men is supposed to be funny, acceptable, cute, heroic, justified, etc. Have it the other way around and it's the opposite reaction from people.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:07 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,293 times
Quote:
All things being equal? Well, all things are never equal, but if this were a Disney movie, sure, the guy with more would win out. Cinderella would meet her prince charming. I don't deny that. I just don't apply the rules for the fantastic to the day-to-day reality of common joe's and jane's.

And both will most likely be of the same social class. The man with the luxury car will end up dating the hot woman with the luxury car. The hot blue collar guy will end up dating the hot pink collar gal. That pink collar gal will most likely never have the opportunity to meet the guy with the luxury car. That's just reality. Why deny it?
Women care about social class, not men. I've neve herd a man say "Man that chick hot, but she doesn't have a car so I won't date her" That's something a women is more likely to say.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:11 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,293 times
Quote:
There is no reason to pretend because there are hot women in every social class, just as there are hot men in every social class. There is no need for him to date down physically, or in any other respect.
Did Tiger Woods "date down" when he dated and married a women who was a nanny? Most men DO NOT care about a womens social status or education. If shes hot, has a good personality and is not a complete idiot most men will be interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships