U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 09:24 PM

5,501 posts, read 2,384,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Happiness is a choice. People can learn to be happy by themselves. Not everyone needs to be around people to be happy. Besides if your a social outcasts what choice do you have? Should they miserable and give up on life? His comment was kind of insensitive. Some people just don't fit in anywhere.
Happiness is not a choice...to be alone is. I'm not discounting the fact that one learns to adapt "when necessary" to survive without being miserable.

A quote from the movie based on a true story: "Into the Wild"

~Happiness is only real when shared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 09:27 PM

4,262 posts, read 2,080,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Happiness is not a choice...to be alone is. I'm not discounting the fact that one learns to adapt "when necessary" to survive without being miserable.

I find it funny. When you live a different lifestyle then everyone else, you learn not to be miserable and adapt to your circumstances until other people tell you you should be miserable which is essentially what your doing. How do you know that people who have know intimate relationships are unhappy? This is all one big assumption.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
I find it funny. When you live a different lifestyle then everyone else, you learn not to be miserable and adapt to your circumstances until other people tell you you should be miserable which is essentially what your doing. How do you know that people who have know intimate relationships are unhappy? This is all one big assumption.
I think what we have here is a simple case of miscommunication my friend. The bolded statement is exactly what I said in which you echoed in agreement. Your giving it to mean "you should be miserable" is your assumption, not mine.

My post had nothing to do with sexual relationships per se....and have no wish to internalize this thread. Have a good day.

Last edited by ans57; 10-04-2011 at 10:23 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 12:42 AM

103 posts, read 14,401 times
Quote:
I think what we have here is a simple case of miscommunication my friend. The bolded statement is exactly what I said in which you echoed in agreement. Your giving it to mean "you should be miserable" is your assumption, not mine.

My post had nothing to do with sexual relationships per se....and have no wish to internalize this thread. Have a good day.
Give it up. Your posts say clearly what you think and how you judge and demean the feelings of millions and millions of people in this world who are alone - be it by choice or through other circumstances that may not be within their control.

I'm sorry you feel happiness is based on others . . . perhaps one day you will find the meaning within yourself.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizela View Post
Give it up. Your posts say clearly what you think and how you judge and demean the feelings of millions and millions of people in this world who are alone - be it by choice or through other circumstances that may not be within their control.

I'm sorry you feel happiness is based on others . . . perhaps one day you will find the meaning within yourself.
Demean???
My dear, you and I won't be here having a heated exchange if not for the fact...that we're not meant to be alone. By that...I don't mean sexually (which I think is where the outrage is stemming from) but just to be with another human being in general. For those who opted to be alone "for some reason or another," it is their choice and I have no problem with that whatsoever.

btw - my is happiness is based on loving "others" as I love myself.

Sorry if I upset your evening.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:18 AM

11,001 posts, read 6,942,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizela View Post

If you wish to engage in "scolding" another ADULT poster, at least be decent enough to do it equally. Otherwise, don't act like the school principal. You are entitled to your opinion, as is "mrrational" . . . AS AM I.

This might be a bit off topic, or has anything to do with you, but I have noticed that some people on this forum love to behave holier than thou and "scold" adults and strangers online for their opinions, thoughts, or lifestyle. It is so silly when someone tries to shove their beliefs and ideas into someone else. I mean, I have my opinions and can relate to someone else thinking differently even though I might not agree. We just stand on opposite sides on the issue and that's that. But it's hilarious when someone tries to tell you how "disappointed" they are in you for such and such opinion. I mean, come on!

Anyway, this has nothing to do with any of the posters mentioned, it just reminded me of something that happened to me a few weeks ago in another thread. Carry on.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:57 AM

4,862 posts, read 1,730,357 times
I know a man who is quite content single, has never been married. I doubt that he will ever have a girl friend. He is as normal as anyone one I know. I know other men that are single and haven't had a date in years. Also, perfectly happy. A woman for some men is more bother than they are worth. Lots of married men find this also. My barber(a woman) divorced her cheating husband 4 years ago. She's probably mid-50's. She said lots of men run when women start chasing them. They've been burned financially and emotionally. They don't ever want that again.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:17 AM

13,166 posts, read 11,752,508 times
I am very content being single. I have many friends...however, I believe there is something to what someone posted here, by saying, when people age, there are more fears...

here's why...

Where I live, there are many single ladies...I am the youngest...we all get together for dinners and a lot of social activities...there is this one woman, who lacks confidence in herself, doesn't do much but sit and read...we've invited her and sometimes she joins us, but most times she doesn't. I believe she is very set in her ways...and commitment to us scares her...so, all she has to do is sit and think of all her woes, aches and pains, and lets face it, when you get to be my age, we all have aches and pains...but her's become most important, b/c she doesn't have anything else in her life....we've even told her we miss her, and her reply is, "ohhhh, you won't miss me in the least". I feel bad for her...but, you can't make her do what she doesn't want to do.

But me, I love being alone...I'm alone, but not lonely and love the interaction with people only some of the time....and I love people, but when they start telling me, what I have to do, how I'm supposed to live my life, or how I'm supposed to think and feel, that's when I keep them at bay...I don't mind sharing information, but don't ask me...it's when I choose to do so, and trust, most definately has to be earned....

I don't need as much interaction as say a women who is retired, b/c I still work and love working...perhaps if I didn't, I'd need more social interaction...but at this point in my life, love things just the way they are.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:21 PM

My sincere apology to those who may have felt offended by my posts. I was just responding to the importance of "intimacy" under the premise of interpersonal relationship in general.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:57 PM

6,386 posts, read 2,820,392 times
Quote:

I agree ; I don't see why you have to defend anything you've said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships