Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:46 AM

26 posts, read 41,193 times

Advertisements

A man came into my work the other day, I work in a high-end clothing store. I did as usual..asked how he was doing and if he needed anything to let me know. He looked around for awhile and asked if I new any good places to eat and I asked him if he meant in the food court he said anywhere I gave him only one recommendation as I don't usually go out to restaurants. He said thank you and continued to look around. I remembered of a Mexican food place a few moments later and asked if he liked Mexican food and told him about the place. After that he started asking me all these questions and we started talking he mentioned things as me being nurturing and considerate and I didn't want to be rude but I really was trying to work and close-out the men's department in the store. He asked me if I had a boyfriend I kindly laughed and said no I don't. He then asked me out to dinner after work but I told him we were closing late and I'm a live-in housekeeper and he has quests and since my entry is through the garage I didn't want to wake the baby and told him to come back if he wanted to. He seemed persistent & said he most definitely would. I've never been in this situation before. I'm only 19 and he was probably in his mid to late 20s most likely thinking I was older. My question as stated above would you date a complete stranger. After he'd left my co-workers said it seemed like we were speed dating. He wasn't a bad looking guy; he was handsome, but, since I am young and I honestly don't have much experience in relationships, dating and I'm the kind of person who thinks everyone is a good person I'd greatly appreciate some advice from a 3rd part perspective. He'll probably be coming back middle of the week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 01:11 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,276,554 times
Absolutely.
Go out for coffee or lunch and get to know him.
Do you really want to spend all of your time with people you already know?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:15 AM

591 posts, read 866,175 times
I have done so, we met on the street, I chatted her up, we exchanged emails and phone numbers, met for coffee a bunch of times, and she is my gf as we speak.

But as far as most women go, I'd say only about 10% of you have the guts to take that plunge. If I were a woman I'd be one of the 90%.

The problem is that the guys that put you most at ease are typically players (mass murderers put their victims at ease also), because unconfident men or those who lack total self-assurance act "dorky" around just those women they really like the most; OR they pretend to be so non-chalant they send no signal whatsoever (protecting themselves from rejection).

This means that the guy women might think is a creep is most likely the least threat, but will get vetoed out of hand, even though he is most likely sincere whereas the player is definitely not.

Just be careful.

Best,

Doctor Blues

Old 10-02-2011, 01:16 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times
Take it slow and exercise caution.

If you decide to date, stick to public places only. I would also meet him and avoid riding in his vehicle(s) and hanging out at his place for a while. And since I don't trust anyone, I would do a back ground check on the guy using what ever info I could find like driver's license number, address, phone number, license plate number etc etc. Also, don't let him guilt you into crap either...that is a sign of trouble fore me.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:33 AM

591 posts, read 866,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Take it slow and exercise caution.

If you decide to date, stick to public places only. I would also meet him and avoid riding in his vehicle(s) and hanging out at his place for a while. And since I don't trust anyone, I would do a back ground check on the guy using what ever info I could find like driver's license number, address, phone number, license plate number etc etc. Also, don't let him guilt you into crap either...that is a sign of trouble fore me.
Mind if I ask you the obivous: if you don't trust anyone, why would you want to meet anyone for the purpose of dating?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:51 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,265,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
Mind if I ask you the obivous: if you don't trust anyone, why would you want to meet anyone for the purpose of dating?
This isn't about me, It's about a young woman who is asking for advice on dating a complete stranger. If this this was your daughter, would you trust this guy? Trust is earned, not given and I would do a back ground check.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:15 AM

Great, paternalistic advice.
Dr Blues, your advice is logical; SVT, not so much.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:50 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,713,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catchofgold View Post
A man came into my work the other day, I work in a high-end clothing store. I did as usual..asked how he was doing and if he needed anything to let me know. He looked around for awhile and asked if I new any good places to eat and I asked him if he meant in the food court he said anywhere I gave him only one recommendation as I don't usually go out to restaurants. He said thank you and continued to look around. I remembered of a Mexican food place a few moments later and asked if he liked Mexican food and told him about the place. After that he started asking me all these questions and we started talking he mentioned things as me being nurturing and considerate and I didn't want to be rude but I really was trying to work and close-out the men's department in the store. He asked me if I had a boyfriend I kindly laughed and said no I don't. He then asked me out to dinner after work but I told him we were closing late and I'm a live-in housekeeper and he has quests and since my entry is through the garage I didn't want to wake the baby and told him to come back if he wanted to. He seemed persistent & said he most definitely would. I've never been in this situation before. I'm only 19 and he was probably in his mid to late 20s most likely thinking I was older. My question as stated above would you date a complete stranger. After he'd left my co-workers said it seemed like we were speed dating. He wasn't a bad looking guy; he was handsome, but, since I am young and I honestly don't have much experience in relationships, dating and I'm the kind of person who thinks everyone is a good person I'd greatly appreciate some advice from a 3rd part perspective. He'll probably be coming back middle of the week
Just don't go home with him. Go eat in a public place and leave early

This reminds me there is a cute female working in vineyard vines. I've been there three times so far and each time she did her best to pick me the best clothes, which she thought would look good on me. Of course, she is doing her job.

It's located right opposite the church I go to. Maybe I should ask her to step out for a walk with me

Old 10-02-2011, 07:24 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
This isn't about me, It's about a young woman who is asking for advice on dating a complete stranger. If this this was your daughter, would you trust this guy? Trust is earned, not given and I would do a back ground check.
Damn straight. I completely agree.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:34 AM

Background checks for everyone you meet at a bar, at a party, etc?
This is quite extreme.

Last edited by chielgirl; 10-02-2011 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships