U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would height prevent you from dating a woman
Height has absolutely no bearing on whether I date a woman 24 40.68%
I would not be interested in dating someone under 5' 8 13.56%
I would not be interested in dating someone over 6' 11 18.64%
Any where from 5' - 6' range is fine with me 8 13.56%
Some height range other then the choices above 8 13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:25 AM

461 posts, read 350,001 times
Wow, such specific answers to such a superficial question. So men want a woman slightly shorter than them....and women prefer men slightly taller, shocking! Still, the mere fact you even notice height or looks is highly superficial and you will be judged for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 08:48 PM

591 posts, read 378,767 times
Yes. I am 5'7", and (not counting a married woman who tried to get me to have an affair) I've had three women kind of stalk me (show unwanted/sudden attention/hint at dating/being their bf) and they were about 6'. It just made me feel creeped out, I'd feel like their son if we ever went out - and thankfully I didn't really find them all that attractive - except the married lady

I had a gf once who was 5'9" and honestly that difference was all I could tolerate. Sorry to tell you her being taller made me feel less of a man (not in my own eyes but in the weird looks I got).

Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 PM

591 posts, read 378,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
You must be bored and have nothing to do. There is NEVER been a documented case of a womans height being a dealbreaker for a man. If the woman is hot, the man will go for it. We are not talking about dwarfs here either. If the woman is hot, and her body is tight, her height will not matter.

Stop making sh*t up. READ MY REPLY.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:35 AM

7,227 posts, read 8,122,431 times
I definitely think men write women off based on height! Especially taller women, as some men have pointed out. The need to feel as if they're bigger than the woman. And I take no issue with that, as some people have their preference. Men can be quite vocal about taller women too. I was out at a club and there was a guy who stood maybe 5'6" at best. As I walked by he yelled "Could you be any taller!?!?" I have guys shouting crap to me all the time at clubs/bars. I've never seen a woman or group of women shout crap to a short man.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:18 AM

17,193 posts, read 14,067,394 times
There are a lot of guys who claim they'd have a hard time dating a woman taller than them. However, as a 5'10" woman who's dated her share of guys shorter than her in addition to those taller, I've never actually seen it put into practice.

Bottom line - in my experience, even if a guy has issues relating to being the shorter one in a relationship, if he's otherwise interested in you, it tends to go out the window. Even insecure guys are seldom willing to walk away from something if they recognize it as a really good thing, over one insecurity issue. If it becomes the determining factor, odds are they weren't otherwise too interested in the first place.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 AM

17,193 posts, read 14,067,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I definitely think men write women off based on height! Especially taller women, as some men have pointed out. The need to feel as if they're bigger than the woman. And I take no issue with that, as some people have their preference. Men can be quite vocal about taller women too. I was out at a club and there was a guy who stood maybe 5'6" at best. As I walked by he yelled "Could you be any taller!?!?" I have guys shouting crap to me all the time at clubs/bars. I've never seen a woman or group of women shout crap to a short man.
This has actually never happened to me, and in heels, I'm typically over 6 feet.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:38 AM

2,764 posts, read 4,238,573 times
I'm 5'6, height anywhere from 4'10 - 5'8 is fine. Anything over 5'8 is a bit too tall normally speaking.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 AM

7,227 posts, read 8,122,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This has actually never happened to me, and in heels, I'm typically over 6 feet.

Well, I stand over 6' to begin with and I wear 4"-5" heels when I go out. I warned my husband when we first met that I get a lot of crap for my height. He thought I was exaggerating then. Now he knows exactly what I go through. (Although I do believe my husband loves the attention I receive. I'm fortunate in that he's extremely proud to be standing next to me.)

As for the guy at the bar/club who asked me if I "could be any taller?!", I don't know if he was trying to humiliate me in front of his buddies or if he was trying to create a conversation. I didn't stick around to find out.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:55 PM

12,673 posts, read 12,856,675 times
Can't be taller then me. Not shorter then 5'1".

Old 10-10-2011, 06:18 PM

3,518 posts, read 2,711,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post

Maybe I just block it out, but I can't think of a time I've gotten negative comments for my height. I'd say most are just curious, asking or guessing my height, some are gushing with adoration, and some are just regular skeevy (so many Mexican men told me I was just the right size for them).

I quite enjoy the girls around 5'9-5'10 who come up demanding to know how tall I am and insist that I take off my shoes, whether I have heels on or not, to prove that they are taller than I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships