Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:48 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
You beat me to it. Yeah, he's getting what he wants by looking and imagining, he ain't planning to approach.
Ugh...now that DOES sound creepy.

I mean I can actually imagine a chest heaving under an unlaundered parachute-material coat in Aisle 4 with that comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 01:17 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,306,679 times
I still can't believe men do that stuff it's uber creepage.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I still can't believe men do that stuff it's uber creepage.
It totally is.

I mean, guy is next to you in line, you exchange hellos, he brings up a comment about something...the weather...the length of the line...anything at all, and you both start talking and as you're leaving the store he asks if you'd like to get coffee some time = not creepy.

Guy is in the asile next to you, just watches, you move to the next aisle, there is is like magic...still just watching = eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:42 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It totally is.

I mean, guy is next to you in line, you exchange hellos, he brings up a comment about something...the weather...the length of the line...anything at all, and you both start talking and as you're leaving the store he asks if you'd like to get coffee some time = not creepy.

Guy is in the asile next to you, just watches, you move to the next aisle, there is is like magic...still just watching = eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek.
See, this doesn't bug me. I would smile at him and make clear eye contact and see what happens. Most likely, he will flee like his arse is on fire. He is too scared to say hi. I've been that shy person who thinks somebody is pretty before, lurking and peeking, but as a tiny little woman, people don't usually notice, let alone feel threatened or disturbed.

It's only when I'm leaving, if I have to walk through a dark area or between cars where others cannot easily see me or hear me yell, then I'll be on the high alert, in case someone is following me. But I'm pretty sharp on the situational awareness stuff, so I tend to notice everyone and everything around me in situations that could be risky.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
See, this doesn't bug me. I would smile at him and make clear eye contact and see what happens. Most likely, he will flee like his arse is on fire. He is too scared to say hi. I've been that shy person who thinks somebody is pretty before, lurking and peeking, but as a tiny little woman, people don't usually notice, let alone feel threatened or disturbed.

It's only when I'm leaving, if I have to walk through a dark area or between cars where others cannot easily see me or hear me yell, then I'll be on the high alert, in case someone is following me. But I'm pretty sharp on the situational awareness stuff, so I tend to notice everyone and everything around me in situations that could be risky.
Well, what I'm saying is, no, it would not be attractive.

(To me.)

Old 02-21-2018, 01:55 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, what I'm saying is, no, it would not be attractive.

(To me.)
I don't think I'd find that behavior attractive, or unattractive. I can imagine an interesting looking person doing it, or a sketchy, scary looking person doing it. Surely though, since even a warm smile will likely not encourage such a soul to come talk to me, it's not conducive to making a connection.

It just tells me, "I admire something about you, but I'm also terrified of you." I feel compassion toward that person, since I have felt that "omg I wish I could just walk up and talk to that human, but I'm scared/shy, for some stupid reason ugh!" feeling before.

What gets me about the notion of any kind of attempt at romantic connection where it's cold approaching strangers in public settings like a grocery store, is just my thinking (assumption, really) that there's a very good chance they are not even available. I've spotted intriguing looking people, stole some glances, then saw their apparent SO come around the end of the aisle and up to them, before. Not only might they be taken, but their takee might be about to walk up right as you're trying to make your move. Awkward, huh?

Guess that's one thing I like about online platforms, you don't have to make a wild guess about that factor at least. Seems to knock at least one big potential obstacle out of the way in connecting with somebody.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
I will admit, there are quite a few interesting designs in ladies clothes. I do appreciate a woman who dresses in the way she enjoys.
I appreciate a guy wearing a well put together outfit.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:46 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I appreciate a guy wearing a well put together outfit.
I believe you. There's a noticable difference in from my experience how open a stranger is for conversation based on that alone.

49ersfan, you're a guy. Don't use the term "Uber creepage". That sounds really girly.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:22 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
I think I've only been followed a few times when I was in my 30s and traveled a lot. Each time I returned from business travel I'd do some fresh grocery shopping. A few times I noticed different women in my age range following me / looking at me. I assumed I had something on my shirt / shoe / jacket and soon after would check. They never said anything to me and I was usually in hurry to get back to my place and unwind.

Another time on vacation I had a guy following me and couldn't tell if I was of aesthetic interest to him, or if he was loss prevention staff. Once in another city while on vacation shopping at grocery store, a gay guy hit on me I politely declined.

Sometimes I think it's like a hilarious comic strip visual where I'm admiring a natural female beauty while some less visually desirable female is watching me. Sort of a "Who's watching the watcher" game of Spy vs Spy

There's few different types / reasons men will follow a woman:
1) you look nice to them and they don't see something that lovely on a regular basis (probably the majority of the instances)
2) You look familiar in a good way but they can not remember where they've seen you (a level of familiarity tends to do this to people - probably the second most often reason)
3) timed strategic glances and path crossing with friendly smile and hoping to strike up conversation
4) literal stalking leering / possible socially inept (scared of women and somewhere on the maladjusted spectrum) or outright sexual deviant / mental case
5) has the same shopping item list (probably the third most often reason)

You reminded me of this old thread
Why do men like to stare at women, but not approach?

Successful Ways to Initiate Conversation with Women at the Grocery Store

Old 02-22-2018, 08:33 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
I believe you. There's a noticable difference in from my experience how open a stranger is for conversation based on that alone.

49ersfan, you're a guy. Don't use the term "Uber creepage". That sounds really girly.
It couldn't hurt to at least be in a well put together well coordinated outfit.

As for what word to use...

Uber creepage Uber creepage Uber Creepage.

And I'm a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships