Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:32 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,032,561 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking I should have left out the word "nerd" and just stuck with unattractive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 08:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVampireHunter View Post
Honestly I didn't see any venom in there.

I have nothing wrong with people choosing to live their life their own way. But saying that every nerd has a good job because of their "brain" is a joke. Most engineers and scientists that I have met. Were not into anime or comic books as much as the nerds that are being talked about in this thread.

I guess if there is one field that is really filled with the most nerds. Would be comp sci or software engineering. Those fields are filled with people that worship video games and star wars.

But even that is a generalization.
Well I do agree with you on that. People should do what makes them happy. But I wonder, would you consider the people who make those comic books and anime nerds?

Old 10-09-2011, 08:11 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Google Images

Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 PM

591 posts, read 866,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But why does knowing a lot about Dungeons and Dragons or Star Trek make one guy a nerd, but another guy who can rattle off baseball stats and who knows the minor differences between car models is not considered a nerd? They're both nerds, really.
My take: because Baseball and cars actually exist in the real world and have actual people participating, whereas ST etc. is just fantasy.

Scholasticism =/= nerdism.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 AM

32 posts, read 44,405 times
I don't know about the less attractive women but most beautiful women like strong and healthy men with some muscles who can make alot of money and can probably beat other men in a fight.

I'm talking mostly about Victoria Justice and Kristanna Loken types. Not all women are like that though.

Last edited by DepressedKid; 10-10-2011 at 11:11 AM..

Old 10-10-2011, 11:46 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,582,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
My take: because Baseball and cars actually exist in the real world and have actual people participating, whereas ST etc. is just fantasy.

Scholasticism =/= nerdism.
Well as a fan you don't participate in the baseball game, your precense in front of the television or on a seat in the crowd is not likely to generate a any notably different result on the field.

You interact more with the actual people on the other side of the internet when playing WoW or dragons~ than you do infront of the TV.

Besides, if you look at baseball objectively, nothing changes from beginning to end, a ball has moved certain distances, yet is still in roughly the same neighborhood. While in a computer game certain pixels have changed colors a couple of times, but when you shut the screen off they're all black once again.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:57 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
How's that?
step 1: weigh less than 300 lbs,
step 2: go to bar.
success guaranteed.
It depends on what you're looking for. A one night stand or FWB situation? Sure, as long as you have a vagina someone will probably want to have sex with you.
But sex does not equal success in my mind. Maybe it's just me, but I find it extremely difficult to find a man who actually wants to be in a relationship and enjoys it.

Going to a bar and having a random hookup isn't exactly something most peoe strive for.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:23 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
Scholasticism
lol

Old 10-13-2011, 02:36 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Life has it's challenges for every human being. No one is dealt all aces.
Exactly right!

The good lookers also have some pretty tough challenges, such as these:

being envied
copied
exploited
preyed upon
scrutinized
competed against, and simply disliked for their exterior "blessings".

Remember this commercial?

http://youtu.be/hz8ul-gmLyA

Often these individuals are used for their good looks only, and then dumped like last night's garbage.

People will look for reasons to dislike the looker.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:48 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,508,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Exactly right!

The good lookers also have some pretty tough challenges, such as these:

being envied
copied
exploited
preyed upon
scrutinized
competed against, and simply disliked simply for their exterior "blessings".

Ofetn these individuals are used for their good looks only, and then dumped like last night's garbage.

The bolded apply to me. Generally, good looking women go through much more jealousy than good looking guys. Guys generally aren't as catty. There is some jealousy, but it's usually not that bad. The worst I've come across is some people not wanting to introduce me to their girlfriends. My cousin didn't even want to bring me to meet girls he was interested in. I would never screw him over like that, but that does happen. Luckily, that's usually the worst that happens as a good looking guy. It's certainly not as bad as being a good looking woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships