Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 07:25 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
You are sadistic and negative. You seem to gain a pleasure from saying so, based on a fundamentally flawed article...... and also based on your posts on this forum. Wait better include your motto
You're a funny guy.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:37 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
A very interesting article, but it leaves me pondering something...why do men have to be "taught" to be men, but women do not have to be "taught" to be women?

(I am not talking about the education of "gentlemen" and "ladies" BTW)

Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
The article doesn't address the GOOD men out there, just the sorry ones that aren't about nothing.

That's because it's about men who need to man up, not the ones who don't. So, if you're not in there, good for you! Be happy. Pat yourself on the back. Write a book.

Granted, there are valid points made but at the same time, why should men "man up?" They don't have to. Women are "manning up" for them. Too many women have masculine traits that it's not attractive.

Maybe women are manning up because they can't find a man who will. Plus, men these think if we don't make a lot of money and they do, we're a gold-digger. We're just after their precious money. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't so we might as well make a little money on our own while we're being damned.

I could dissect this article like nobody's business but I'll let someone do that. On a serious note, some men don't want to be married, ever think of that?

Then they shouldn't complain when women pass them by. There's more to life than bagging as many people as possible but some people don't get that til it's too late, apparently. Then all they can do is p*** and moan about it. I guess that's easier than fixing yourself.

You really can't blame them due to the lack of quality women out there.

Like they say, like attracts like. If you feel you're attracting or can only find low quality women, maybe you better spend more time evaluating yourself?

Some women continue to have babies out of wedlock just to get that check.

These women aren't making these babies all by themselves, are they?

Let a guy post an equal article about women in trouble, watch him be crucified by the women on this forum

There's plenty of misogyny going around here, believe me.

Me, I wouldn't mind being the bread winner as long as my partner was a good man, faithful, loved me and pulled his weight at home.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,387 times
That article is garbage. I love how the author wants men to conform to societal standards from 40-50 years ago. If I wrote an article imploring women to do the same, I would be castigated.

The progressive "get ahead at all costs" attitude society has foisted on many women is exactly why men are losing interest in playing the "traditional" male role of husband, father, and breadwinner. What incentive is there for a male to do that when most of the men I know who are good husbands and devoted fathers STILL don't get respected by their "progressive" wives?

Television and movies only compound the situation. Watch any sitcom and you'll see the faithful, loving husband and father portrayed as a bumbling baffoon while the wife is the one with the brains who keeps the household running. It's total pabulum that bears no resemblance to reality, but it certainly fuels the "who needs men?" fire.

I don't need to get married or take on a traditional male role to know I'm a "man". Not only do I support myself and rely on no one but #1, but I can also bench press over 350 pounds, I have a very functional penis and I never have any trouble putting it to use. I am a man, period.

If enjoying an occasional video game and not being married makes me less of a man, then not being in the kitchen fixing my dinner in between sweeping the floor and squeezing out babies makes you less of a woman.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
That article is garbage. I love how the author wants men to conform to societal standards from 40-50 years ago. If I wrote an article imploring women to do the same, I would be castigated.

The progressive "get ahead at all costs" attitude society has foisted on many women is exactly why men are losing interest in playing the "traditional" male role of husband, father, and breadwinner. What incentive is there for a male to do that when most of the men I know who are good husbands and devoted fathers STILL don't get respected by their "progressive" wives?

Television and movies only compound the situation. Watch any sitcom and you'll see the faithful, loving husband and father portrayed as a bumbling baffoon while the wife is the one with the brains who keeps the household running. It's total pabulum that bears no resemblance to reality, but it certainly fuels the "who needs men?" fire.

I don't need to get married or take on a traditional male role to know I'm a "man". Not only do I support myself and rely on no one but #1, but I can also bench press over 350 pounds, I have a very functional penis and I never have any trouble putting it to use. I am a man, period.

If enjoying an occasional video game and not being married makes me less of a man, then not being in the kitchen fixing my dinner in between sweeping the floor and squeezing out babies makes you less of a woman.
I loathe that reality, which is why I can't watch tv anymore. I'll watch Anthony Bourdain, the history channel, Discovery, anything but that crap.

Television and movies do the same damage for women. Men aren't satisfied with average anymore because of what they see on the tube. They think they're entitled to a '10'. And often one half their age and out of their 'league'.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Well the Man hating feminist finally got what they wanted "the decline of man". So maybe now all the women who hate men and no longer "need a man" can turn lesbians and leave us alone.

Old 10-06-2011, 07:52 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,145,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpy View Post
that article is garbage. I love how the author wants men to conform to societal standards from 40-50 years ago. If i wrote an article imploring women to do the same, i would be castigated.

The progressive "get ahead at all costs" attitude society has foisted on many women is exactly why men are losing interest in playing the "traditional" male role of husband, father, and breadwinner. What incentive is there for a male to do that when most of the men i know who are good husbands and devoted fathers still don't get respected by their "progressive" wives?

I don't need to get married or take on a traditional male role to know i'm a "man". Not only do i support myself and rely on no one but #1, but i can also bench press over 350 pounds, i have a very functional penis and i never have any trouble putting it to use. I am a man, period.

+1

Old 10-06-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Well the Man hating feminist finally got what they wanted "the decline of man". So maybe now all the women who hate men and no longer "need a man" can turn lesbians and leave us alone.
I love men. Well, the non-whining variety. My only 'rule' is, you don't whine, I won't biotch.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
There is certainly a lot of truth in this article, but I disagree with the "prescription" for fixing things. Specifically, I disagree with the role of religion, since I see religion as an institution that prevents one from thinking deeply and rationally, and enforces conformity and convention. Marriage - well, I'm ambivalent about that, though it does require a man to step up in terms of maturity to make it work, and to raise a family certainly requires maturity and responsibility. Traditional marriage has lost its appeal for many men, so I think a new approach to marriage (and especially divorce) is needed.

I do fully agree with the problems of education and work. Education in modern times is NOT an option - it is an absolute necessity unless you are content with low-paying work that requires few skills. Yet, we don't seem to value education sufficiently, and focus far more on athletics than on academics and important related skills such as music and other arts. In recent times we've focused more on test results than on the process and joy of learning, and our schools have become more like politically correct high-security prisons than places of learning and discovery. This environment is harder on males who are testosterone-driven and chafe at rigid rules. Ultimately, though, the problem is parents who don't sufficiently value and support education.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
There is certainly a lot of truth in this article, but I disagree with the "prescription" for fixing things. Specifically, I disagree with the role of religion, since I see religion as an institution that prevents one from thinking deeply and rationally, and enforces conformity and convention. Marriage - well, I'm ambivalent about that, though it does require a man to step up in terms of maturity to make it work, and to raise a family certainly requires maturity and responsibility. Traditional marriage has lost its appeal for many men, so I think a new approach to marriage (and especially divorce) is needed.
I agree with that. I'm from a family where religion has always been a part of life, and though it seems to have worked pretty well for us, it is certainly not a prescription for everyone. I am on the fence much of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
I do fully agree with the problems of education and work. Education in modern times is NOT an option - it is an absolute necessity unless you are content with low-paying work that requires few skills. Yet, we don't seem to value education sufficiently, and focus far more on athletics than on academics and important related skills such as music and other arts. In recent times we've focused more on test results than on the process and joy of learning, and our schools have become more like politically correct high-security prisons than places of learning and discovery. This environment is harder on males who are testosterone-driven and chafe at rigid rules. Ultimately, though, the problem is parents who don't sufficiently value and support education.
I agree 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships