Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:59 PM

193 posts, read 449,188 times

Advertisements

I am curious. How does bi-polar manifest itself? What are the signs to look for? If people would care to describe their experiences being with bipolar people, it would be helpful for other people reading this.

I thought bipolar was about extreme highs and lows. But then I read somewhere that one can be bipolar without the mania, which sounds like plain old depression to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 03:02 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,484,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoTheNut View Post
I am curious. How does bi-polar manifest itself? What are the signs to look for? If people would care to describe their experiences being with bipolar people, it would be helpful for other people reading this.

I thought bipolar was about extreme highs and lows. But then I read somewhere that one can be bipolar without the mania, which sounds like plain old depression to me.
And manic without the depressive episodes as well.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:19 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,181,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
If someone needs has to take pills to be "normal" RUN!!!!

Pills only create othere problems and their brain can't settle on any decision they make, they play the victim.
So because a person needs to take meds means they don't deserved to be loved?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:15 PM

20,058 posts, read 18,251,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoTheNut View Post

Here's how the disease manifested itself in a guy I once casually knew:

Bi polar dude (working on his second marriage) accompanied wife #2 to her co-worker's wedding. Once they entered the church foyer, "Winner" then proceeded to do these CRAZY things: 1)helped himself to a boutonnière meant for a member of the wedding party 2)hung out in the back of the church with the elderly female wedding director- motioning and giving the wedding party members directions 3) slipped into reception hall (unnoticed) and gave permission to people to cut the groom's cake while the members of the wedding party were busy taking pics. As a result, the guests that were also present in the hall gobbled ALL the cake up BEFORE bride, groom, and other members of the wedding party had a chance to see and taste it!!!!

YOWZA!!! That guy was truly an absolute nut job!!!!
The bride and groom just overlooked the horrific goings on. He's lucky they were a nice couple; or he would have suffered from at least a pair of blackened eyes!
It wasn't long after that, he was put on meds for his nuttiness/polarity. It obviously didn't help much; because later I heard that the second wife divorced him, too.

Last edited by picklejuice; 10-07-2011 at 06:38 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 06:27 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,840,620 times
Default Anyone have any experience with bipolar women?

You don't want to be around them.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:23 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,898,061 times
The description of her does not meet the criteria for bi-polar which is a mental illness and can be treated with medications.

She does seem narcissistic though (narcissistic personality disorder) and that is a personality disorder, not a mental illness and there is not any type of treatment or drugs to deal with it.

The term bi-polar gets thrown around alot and it is usually not used correctly. Most people with a mental illness when offered help, therapy and / or medication want to change and are responsive to help. Someone with a deeply ingrained personality disorder, which is their way of dealing with the world makes a choice to be that way and does not see an alternative.

She's screwed up but not bi-polar.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:42 AM

461 posts, read 781,202 times
After knowing all this, you're still seeing her so why ask for advice?
You are the archetypical myth depicted here of the girl liking the bad boys but you're the boy who likes the bad girls and won't change.

Old 10-08-2011, 03:59 AM

13,542 posts, read 9,971,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I have dated some in the past and it ALWAYS turned out the same. They are awesome at first, have such a great outgoing attitude, funny, cute and very sexual. All traits I adore, but after a while they turn into my worst nightmare. They become elusive, abusive and cheat. They also always seem to be the most professional manipulators and liars. The reason I am writing this post is because I recently met another one of those types. She's stunningly beautiful but she scares the cr@p out of me. She knows how to talk things up and give me high hopes, but I don't think I can trust her as far as I can throw her at this point. She tells me things about how she has had only abusive relationships and now she is ready for a simpler more "normal" life, which I know I can give to her if she is accepting to it since I have a career and own a home, which she says is what she wants. I just have this gut feeling that is eating my stomach alive, that what she says is just too good to be true. I am basing that on my past experiences with the same types of women, I do know, that just maybe she is being sincere. Sometimes I think I'm the crazy one because I seem to attract these types and fall for them for the excitement they bring, but that has always been in the short term. So what to do, RUN RUN RUN or wait and see how things work out? Most advice I see is to run as far away as possible, but I am REALLY attracted to her. Thanks for any advice.
This concerns me!

Old 10-08-2011, 08:15 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,698,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
This concerns me!
It sounds like you've got some issues of your own. You're attracted to "bipolars" who are in their upward swing, (because it matches YOUR mental state), then can't handle the spikes and lows. Maybe it's YOU who needs to get some help, so that you are more attracted to more "even keeled" personalities.

As a few others have pointed out, using someone with a mental illness, for your own personal satisfaction is sick.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:29 AM

13,513 posts, read 19,224,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Not a prereq. I CAN spot it a mile away and am attracted to the fun they bring to the table. Call me what you want, I'm just trying to get a feel for what the consensus is out there regarding this.
SourD I'm not calling you anything...though I do think you're a bit misguided in your belief that only women with bi-polar can bring "fun to the table"....Bi-polar does not make the person.....a person with bi-polar can be indescipherable from someone who's not (most of the time)...and always...if they have it under controll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health