Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 08:13 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,996,352 times

Advertisements

You might meet some unbelievable people whom you become attracted to.

it's a bad idea to eliminate any ways of meeting people. you might miss the once-in-a-lifetime person.

I've met a lot of amazing people here. They may never result in a date or relationship, but they are still amazing people. i hope every person on my friends list-not very many of you anymore btw understands this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 09:44 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny4111 View Post
online dating is a disaster... a lot of women on there are GLWs - Gigantic Land Whales. Why even bother?

This seems unnecessarily rude, hostile, and sophomoric. But then it's late and I'm quite old, so.........

Old 01-30-2017, 01:51 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,546 times
I'm pretty happy with it, it serves it intended purpose. It actually a lot like real life, I'm not getting women throwing themselves at me but I'm not getting ignored either. Whoever said its just whales is wrong, there's plenty of anorexic stick figures and everything in between up to and including whales. I think I've read that for every woman there are 5 or so men, so I can see where that might frustrate some men.

My theory on it is give it some time then you can see who is a career serial dater and who is legit. There's a fair amount of weeding out that has to occur because there's hookers, scammers, haters, fakes on these sites. I also have a theory that the sites kinda bury you and limit your exposure while throwing membership ads at you to increase your chances and I stay free always. It seems to warm up after a month or two. I've had some ok dates and one decent year and a half relationship in the limited time I've been doing it. I think the negative stigma it carries with it is as narrow minded as much as someone would say about the bar scene. Not all woman are bad just because they're on OLD, at the bar, or even church.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:15 PM

21 posts, read 15,509 times
problem with online dating these days is that the women outearn the men in many cases but have become ridiculously stingy with their money. Why? Be generous towards men as well... that is my message, share the load of the expenses when dating and have some dignity. The vast majority of women I have dated, it's the 3rd or 4th date and they are just sitting there staring at the ceiling when the check arrives...shame!

Old 02-01-2017, 05:58 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Default why do guys even bother with online dating?

why do guys even bother with online dating?
Here..... ^^^

why do guys even bother with dating? Period!

Lol!

Old 02-01-2017, 06:52 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
Whoever said its just whales is wrong, there's plenty of anorexic stick figures and everything in between up to and including whales.
Haha...nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannedontherun View Post
I think I've read that for every woman there are 5 or so men, so I can see where that might frustrate some men.
That's probably not true. There might be a slight plurality of men trolling around dating websites. Who knows. But the real thing to understand is that it probably just SEEMS that way because of how men and women differ in how they size each other up. This is no different that how it is in real life, its just that the relative anonymity of the internet allows people to behave how they really want to behave with relatively few consequences. That is to say, women no matter what they look like will tend to ignore the bottom 80% of the male population and lavish their attention on the top 20% best guys in the pool, because this is the female of species' prerogative on a biological level. She doesn't want a bunch of guys, just the best one. where as the guys will take an approached that roughly mirrors that...the bottom 20% of women will get mostly ignored while the top 80% will get plenty of guys barking up their tree. This of course is the male prerogative. We don't need the BEST woman per se, (which is highly subjective anyway), we want ALL the women. At least the all the women we personally find attractive enough to sleep with.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:16 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,018 times
If you're a guy who doesn't "look good on paper", so to speak -- meaning you're not 6'0"+ or don't having a good job -- then you have to put in a lot of time browsing/swiping/messaging/etc. to get a single woman to converse with you.

Old 06-10-2017, 07:43 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
When I was single, I found online dating to be very easy.

I don't see how people can have a hard time unless they are going for women way out of their league.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:06 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
If you're a guy who doesn't "look good on paper", so to speak -- meaning you're not 6'0"+ or don't having a good job -- then you have to put in a lot of time browsing/swiping/messaging/etc. to get a single woman to converse with you.
Uh, no, its not that easy. I look good on paper (6'0", good career) and I can't get anywhere with it either.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:17 PM

710 posts, read 584,584 times
Online dating has worked well with me and got me my first relationship. If anything, I don't see why some guys bother approaching women in real life seeing that it's bound to end in rejection for the majority of the time. At least on dating sites, you know that women are on there with the common goal of finding a relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships