Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:15 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,615 times

Advertisements

Following a thread of 5 things men shhouldn't do in front of women, I got thinking what else does most women demand from a decent guy?
So separating social behavior from other behavior what are your demands in term of how he behaves infront of you and in general?
See I think there there are general guidelines that most women sort of demand out of a man, before it get's down to personal preferances that go in as many directions as there are individuals...
Of course none of them would be set in stone, they would be guidelines...

Here is what I could think of...
* Don't put your fingers into any bodyopenings in front of her, at least none of your own.
* Don't let anything that comes out of any bodyopening be seen by her, neither then nor later.
* Avoid letting her hear them as much as you can at least...or hope she let's one go first.
* Don't talk about WoW/star wars or any other geeky hobby/interest unless she's into it.
* Don't act as if you learned your manners from a hilly-billy, like spitting, excessive ammounts of curse words etc.
* Take care of your hygien and home.
* Take care of your buisniness, meaning your dayjob, small buisiness or schooling or whatever you do.
* Don't let yourself become a pile of "recycled frying oil", stay at least reasonably healthy.

Do I forget something important here? (not counting personality traits such as confidence, being funny etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
If he can hold down a job!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:37 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
I don't really "demand" any specific behavior from anyone in my life, except perhaps for my children.

That said, I am irritated by puerile jokes, self-pity, and rudeness, and I will probably not date you anymore if you act this way.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Here is what I could think of...
Do I forget something important here?
Yeah... a LOT of things.

With the exception of the 'business' item being a vague reference to adulthood...
the rest of your list should be understood by everyone before age 10.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:15 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
As a mature, adult woman... I am still looking for an honest man that can tell you the truth instead of what he thinks you want to hear... how refreshing that would be hey?? control of your body functions are a given unless you want to re-create the scene from "Blazing Saddles"... LOL
Blazing Saddles --Farting Cowboys- Greatest Fart Scene of All Time - YouTube leave it to Mel Brookes

My favorite is the coughing up something from your throat, rolling down the window of the car and spitting out the window.... GEEZ... disgusting really...

Old 10-10-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesdreams View Post
As a mature, adult woman... I am still looking for an honest man that can tell you the truth instead of what he thinks you want to hear... how refreshing that would be hey?? control of your body functions are a given unless you want to re-create the scene from "Blazing Saddles"... LOL
Blazing Saddles --Farting Cowboys- Greatest Fart Scene of All Time - YouTube leave it to Mel Brookes

My favorite is the coughing up something from your throat, rolling down the window of the car and spitting out the window.... GEEZ... disgusting really...
made me think about this; the reason girls don't fart....

Why Girls Don't Fart... - YouTube

Old 10-10-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Yeah... a LOT of things.

With the exception of the 'business' item being a vague reference to adulthood...
the rest of your list should be understood by everyone before age 10.
The first 3 points are (though obvious to me and you) seemingly not as obvious to the people in the thread this spinned off from...

...And by "a LOT" you couldn't mension one?

What do you define as adulthood?
It seems any type of question/discussion leads to subjective, vague and typically non-defined things like "being mature" and "having confidence" etc.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:59 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Responsible and hard working
Reliable and dependable
Considerate and thoughtful
Honest and trustworthy

A man who is all of these things is a "decent guy" in my mind. Some women may have other expectations too, like sense of humor or genuine confidence... I always needed a guy with a sense of humor because I love to laugh. But having a sense of humor doesn't automatically make someone a decent human being, it just makes them fun. One can be funny but a jerk. Sticking just to the qualities which make someone "decent", I'd go with what I've listed above.

Most of the stuff you mentioned is rather specific and would probably fall under these traits anyway. For example, good manners like not picking your nose would fall under "considerate" for me.

"Demand" is a strong word but perhaps English isn't your first language? "Expect" is a better word for this, in my opinion.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:34 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
* Don't talk about WoW/star wars or any other geeky hobby/interest unless she's into it.
Basically the guy should shut up and listen?

My mother was a Star Wars nut! You ever see 30 year old virgin? Imagine that guy's collection but in the hands of someone 100 times cooler and that's me! I also collect comic books I used to joke about how no one could get to the comic shop faster than me...seriously, a couple Hondas and a bicycle vs an 11 second Street car

Old 10-10-2011, 09:38 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,696,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Basically the guy should shut up and listen?

My mother was a Star Wars nut! You ever see 30 year old virgin? Imagine that guy's collection but in the hands of someone 100 times cooler and that's me! I also collect comic books I used to joke about how no one could get to the comic shop faster than me...seriously, a couple Hondas and a bicycle vs an 11 second Street car
You mean 40? Just rewatched that movie recently and I think that guy's a very decent man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships