Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:02 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

There was a song by Don Henley & Patti Smyth titled " Sometimes love just Ain't enough"

IS it true can you love someone too much? Can love overcome anything? Is there a danger to loving someone to much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
There was a song by Don Henley & Patti Smyth titled " Sometimes love just Ain't enough"

IS it true can you love someone too much? Can love overcome anything? Is there a danger to loving someone to much?
There is danger in "loving someone too much" if you let loving them be your excuse for enabling them to make dangerous and unhealthy choices.

True love cannot overcome everything, but it can overcome many things.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:08 PM

438 posts, read 1,730,561 times
There are definitely things love, money and wishing on a star can't overcome.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:14 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
A couple of random thoughts...I think you can love someone too much. I think of people who lose themselves, wrap their identity up in the other person, base their happiness on the other person, give too much, expect nothing in return. Loving someone too much can be suffocating.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:43 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,949,948 times
Its possible that Love is not enough. In the 70s when men and women began to be more independent, the divorce rate began to climb. 'Seems that Needs held people together before this time, and that since then, Love became the only reason. I dunno- Love can be fickle and unstable. Or maybe its just that without Needs its easier to be taken in by the illusion of Love. What do you think?

Old 10-12-2011, 08:58 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
Love really is NOT enough. Love can be an addiction that keeps you in an unhealthy relationship, and can lead to self-destructive behavior.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:45 AM

1,197 posts, read 2,277,821 times
Love is just a word. There are many aspects of our inner feelings that impact how we feel about a person. There is the physical attraction to their appearance. There is the personality that they possess that makes you want to be around them. There are the things that you share in a relationship that build your bond with a person.

It's not like you can't help loving a person. If they do bad things to you and you still love them, it's a reflection of you as a person, not the feeling of love. Love is a combination of things that must be worked on and grows. So this thought of "is love enough", just doesn't make sense to me. It's like people think there is this magical feeling called "love" that comes over us and we are helpless to stop it.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:24 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post

It's true, sometimes it isn't enough. Sometimes a person's fear rules/controls them and they sacrifice love for so-called security; security of finances, security from being hurt again.....whatever one's fear are.

ETA: Forgot to answer the other. I don't believe you can ever love too much. It's a rare thing to love that much. It's a gift. It may not feel like it sometimes, but it is.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
There is danger in "loving someone too much" if you let loving them be your excuse for enabling them to make dangerous and unhealthy choices.

True love cannot overcome everything, but it can overcome many things.
Spot on.

Enabling is not a characteristic of love; it is a symptom of pathology.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:32 PM

78 posts, read 81,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
It's like people think there is this magical feeling called "love" that comes over us and we are helpless to stop it.
I think I might be crazy or EMO then because I truly feel I've felt this mythical magical feeling called "love" before that I felt I was helpless to stop at the time.

Or maybe I've watched Disney's Little Mermaid one to many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships