Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 10:18 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serena nisha sattar View Post
I've never heard of a guy that would want to stay at home cooking and cleaning while a woman worked.
I know of one. My husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serena nisha sattar View Post
I've only heard of women doing this to men.
As is the case with most major decisions - it's a joint decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 10:28 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
$250k is not much money in large cities like LA, SF, NYC (especially if you have kids).
$250k is still good for NYC.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:33 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Oh I really have to disagree with you here.

A man in his late 30's is JUST starting to reach his prime. Late 40's/early 50's is ideal for a man.
Ugh I have to definitely disagree. Do you mean the physical prime, or prime earning potential?

Physically, I say it goes downhill in the mid-30s...and it is the same usually for women: fatness, grey hair, joint pain, hair loss, lower agility...I think women are usually OK with older men than vice versa.

Probably because in our society the man has more stuff as he gets older, and he was traditionally using that to make a home for the woman and family...so we associate the grey hair and wrinkles on a man with affluence and success.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:39 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Ugh I have to definitely disagree. Do you mean the physical prime, or prime earning potential?

Physically, I say it goes downhill in the mid-30s...and it is the same usually for women: fatness, grey hair, joint pain, hair loss, lower agility...I think women are usually OK with older men than vice versa.

Probably because in our society the man has more stuff as he gets older, and he was traditionally using that to make a home for the woman and family...so we associate the grey hair and wrinkles on a man with affluence and success.
I think the poster probably meant emotionally rather than physically. It is ironic that one aspect begins to degenerate just when the other grows stronger.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
I think the poster probably meant emotionally rather than physically. It is ironic that one aspect begins to degenerate just when the other grows stronger.
Thanks for clarifying. I'm still not sure I agree, though. Look at Berlusconi, Elliot Spitzer, the Governator, the antisemitic guy who played Hamlet (can't remember his name right now), look at the older men in my family LOL..

I think it is simply perception on our part that men get "better" as they age. IMO it comes down to money and security. They're not any less likely to cheat in my experience, and don't seem to be any better at taking care of themselves (esp if they're in a "traditional" relationship like a lot of the ones in my family where the woman pretty much takes care of the man), and don't seem to get any smarter.

I think we've just been conditioned that way because in our type of society and a lot of other ones, the man is expected to "provide" for the woman. Of course, as a lot of young guys know...you need $$ to provide...and sometimes it takes a while to amass money and assets. The men are usually older by the time the house or condo has been bought, the 401-K has been stocked and the bank account has been padded...So it is like Pavlov's dog. Grey hair = money and success.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,697,179 times
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I'm still not sure I agree, though. Look at Berlusconi, Elliot Spitzer, the Governator, the antisemitic guy who played Hamlet (can't remember his name right now), look at the older men in my family LOL..
Mel Gibson right? LOL have to rep you just for that description - I didn't think people would actually identify him by his Hamlet role.

I agree, emotional maturity doesn't always depend on age. There are many factors such as power, fame and wealth.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:57 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
One of my best friends is an attorney and does very well financially. Her H is very attractive and stays at home. He works on the house, cleans, and cooks. His hobby is antique cars and he is usually working on one or more. He is very intelligent and an overall, nice, guy. He treats her like gold and they are very happy. It works for them!

Old 10-14-2011, 01:18 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Quote:

I don't think it goes downhill unless he wants it to. I'm referring more to the older man that actually cares about his health and well-being, not the couch potato.

Physically:

Grey hair...absolutely, LOVE it...I love when it starts showing at the temples and then gradually fills in all over.

Balding...doesn't bother me, as long as they don't do the comb-over. If he wears it short it's fine.

I love lines on a man's face, I find them quite sexy.

The softer tummy is fine by me as well (let's not confuse this with the pregnant look on a man)...I am not really into ripped, buldging muscles. I mean I can appreciate that look but it's not what turns me on.

And like another poster said, it's the emotional aspect as well. They become a bit softer, not as cocky but still just as confident. They don't feel like they have to prove themselves anymore and they aren't always trying to impress. They are more comfortable being themselves and more humbled.

It really has nothing to do with whatever "stuff" they have accumulated through the years. I could care less about possessions.

Of course this is just "in general" but I prefer men in their 40's/early 50's, even when I was in my 20's.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
One of my best friends is an attorney and does very well financially. Her H is very attractive and stays at home. He works on the house, cleans, and cooks. His hobby is antique cars and he is usually working on one or more. He is very intelligent and an overall, nice, guy. He treats her like gold and they are very happy. It works for them!
That's lovely. One of my mom's friends is really successful and she has a boy toy. He is sweet and extremely attractive. I guess it is what works for you. I'm too old-fashioned. I believe the man should make the decisions and be the head of the household...can't get away from my Christian values. I feel stressed if I'm bringing home the bacon, and I still have to defer to the husband. It hasn't worked for me, but I'm sure it works for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Mel Gibson right? LOL have to rep you just for that description - I didn't think people would actually identify him by his Hamlet role.

I agree, emotional maturity doesn't always depend on age. There are many factors such as power, fame and wealth.
All the girls back then had crushes on him. He was awesome in Hamlet. But you know...some people shouldn't be allowed to talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I don't think it goes downhill unless he wants it to. I'm referring more to the older man that actually cares about his health and well-being, not the couch potato.

Physically:

Grey hair...absolutely, LOVE it...I love when it starts showing at the temples and then gradually fills in all over.

Balding...doesn't bother me, as long as they don't do the comb-over. If he wears it short it's fine.

I love lines on a man's face, I find them quite sexy.

The softer tummy is fine by me as well (let's not confuse this with the pregnant look on a man)...I am not really into ripped, buldging muscles. I mean I can appreciate that look but it's not what turns me on.
LOL I see we'll have to agree to disagree. Although I had a crush on a LOVELY man who was prematurely bald. He was brilliant, hardworking...and successful.

I do like eye crinkles...crows feet. On men and women. I like to see them when someone's smiling...but if I had to choose, I'd pick a guy with smooth skin (other than crow's feet, which are cute.)

Quote:
And like another poster said, it's the emotional aspect as well. They become a bit softer, not as cocky but still just as confident. They don't feel like they have to prove themselves anymore and they aren't always trying to impress. They are more comfortable being themselves and more humbled.

It really has nothing to do with whatever "stuff" they have accumulated through the years. I could care less about possessions.

Of course this is just "in general" but I prefer men in their 40's/early 50's, even when I was in my 20's.
Of course not, when everything hurts and your eyesight isn't what it used to be...anybody is going to chill out. LOL

Old 10-14-2011, 03:02 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm curious...how many women on this Board would be okay with a "hunk" for a husband who (1) did not make a lot of money; (2) did not want to make a lot of money; and (3) did not have the credentials to make a lot of money (let's say he has a degree in art history and works as a docent in the local museum).

Let's also assume he's of above average intelligence. He's a good person and generally motivated when it comes to work. He just values work-life balance more than making the partnership, and as a consequence, he only makes $40,000 per year. For the most part, he's perfectly content with being an employee and not moving up the ladder to run the museum. He'd rather spend time with his family.
That's my husband. And we felt we were rich when he made 36,000/year. *shrug* Now I make more than him and neither one of us are close to 36,000. We're happier than ever. But we probably don't count for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships