U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-21-2011, 06:22 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,092,607 times

Advertisements

maybe you shouldn't put restrictions and conditions on who you'll date.

if she's overweight she might be motivated to get in shape with you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 06:43 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,228,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
auugggggg this is so annoying!!! Why do you chicks think its ok to be fat?? ITS NOT OK!!!....A woman should not be fat. What the op needs is a short attractive woman.
First of all I didn't say it was OK to be overweight. I was giving my opinion that he is superficial and needs to look past outward appearances and look to what is inside. And to say he would "settle" for an overweight person IMO is pretty rude.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:46 PM

2,058 posts, read 1,830,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Can you explain this post in further detail???
You will try to change her and she'll resent you for not accepting her the way she is. Add kids to the mix of 2 people who weren't compatible or attracted to each other in the first place and now resent each other... it's not gonna be good.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:00 PM

17,630 posts, read 23,869,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
in every instance? Are you saying most people settle?

I'm saying that when the question gets posed...

Specifics aside, as they rarely matter much very much anyway...
in almost every instance the answer will be either a straight up YES..
or some rather minor variation on that theme.

again, hth

Old 10-22-2011, 12:08 AM

8,442 posts, read 14,359,662 times
So, let's just say you find this fit woman. She agrees to have babies with you and gains 50lbs. Other than that she is great. Sweet, kind, loving, and a good mom and wife. At this point will you no longer be attracted to her?

Think about this!

What you marry is often not what you end up with. People change as they age. Men and women alike.

Would it be OK for your fit wife to no longer find you attractive if you became bald or put on some weight?

There are things much more important than the number on a scale or the hair on your head.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:36 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,504,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
First of all I didn't say it was OK to be overweight. I was giving my opinion that he is superficial and needs to look past outward appearances and look to what is inside. And to say he would "settle" for an overweight person IMO is pretty rude.
"settle" just means getting something that you less than ideally want, it doesn't mean the original is flawed in the absolute but just incompatible with one's likes...everyone likes different things, one man's meat is another's poison so...

if one person leads a sedentary lifestyle and the other one leads an active one don't you think that is a major compatibility issue that can lead to friction?

Old 10-22-2011, 01:23 AM

2,056 posts, read 1,775,250 times
What is overweight to you? Men carry weight weird...well all people kind of do so I'm having trouble picturing a 5'6, 140lb man. 140 man sounds like he physically looks like an Eva Longoria. TINY TINY man so I'm thinking a 5'8, 160 woman that's maybe a size 10 would crush you.

Considering your weight and frame I think any woman over a size 2 is probably overweight to you.

Could you handle a Kardashian sized woman? Does Christina Hendricks bring about the words fe fi fo fum for you? Would Shakira's hips knock you flat on your butt?

Sorry, I'm having a little fun with this but I can't help it. Can I get an idea of exactly what you look like because 140 on a man is making me go wut?

What's overweight to you might actually be a person who is physically fit but fit for their frame. Some women's frames can't take tiny hips and shopping in the junior section.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:37 AM

2,898 posts, read 4,504,695 times
@DejaBlue, I'm glad you're having fun

I didn't mention any figures did I? I am weight/height proportionate, 135-140lbs is the correct weight for a 5'6 man. And perhaps you haven't traveled to other countries to see other populations but 5'6-5'8 is about the average world height for men so nothing unusual in that.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:45 AM

2,433 posts, read 1,721,975 times
No one should ever "settle." To me settling means "Right now I don't think I can do any better so I'll date so and so because this person likes me." That's not exactly a recipe for a good relationship and you're already presuming superiority.

A woman who's ten pounds overweight isn't necessarily going to have health problems. I actually think that ten pounds well-distributed is more attractive than a stick figure, but that's just me.

I've never liked the idea of changing someone in a relationship. I remember a friend of mine saying "she'd be perfect if she just lost ten pounds." That's not really fair to a girl who can probably find someone who wants to date her in her current state.

It's all a matter of what you find attractive. A girl may not do the same workout activities as you but is compatible in other areas. I remember thinking it would be nice to find a girl who's a runner since I run distances. However, I've never actually gone on a run with a girl I've dated and that hasn't affected any of my relationships (and all girls were healthy weights).

Old 10-22-2011, 04:04 AM

3,116 posts, read 4,081,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You seem to be associating thin with active and overweight with lazy. There are plenty of thin people who aren't all that active, and there are many overweight women who'd be happy to hike and bike and whatever with you. Of course, you shouldn't date someone who's completely incompatible with your life, but maybe you shouldn't write off people just from their looks.
Exactly! Instead of focussing on how much a woman weighs, focus on whether she likes to bike and hike, and run and climb rocks, and whatever else you like to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships