Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 12:29 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
See. That's the thing. I've never even had an attraction to anybody who is of movie star/model/glam quality. I almost naturally stay away from those types. I think some of the women that I consider out of my league, a lot of men would say are average, or cute at best.
Sounds like you could use a big dose of confidence!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 12:34 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:
See. That's the thing. I've never even had an attraction to anybody who is of movie star/model/glam quality. I almost naturally stay away from those types. I think some of the women that I consider out of my league, a lot of men would say are average, or cute at best.

Poor fellah... you do understand that many of these women have the same or worse insecurities about their own images and there are several other factors besides just physical appearance that play into attraction

1) style

2) hygiene , not overweight

3) confidence

4) well spoken, interesting, and able to discuss most anything

5) creative with date ideas

6) has interest from other women

Many average looking guys get model type women due to many of these factors... Women also are attracted to success and a guy who has achieved something. Success is defined differently, but you could be a passionate successful Coach or a Hedge Fund Manager.... just something.

Remember you are worthy.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:15 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I dated men from all walks of life in the past. I seem to do best with self-employed men. And my closest female friends are self-employed or were self-employed in the past. We live in the "same world" and understand each other really well.
I'm confused. What's the difference? Most really rich people are self-employed.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:23 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Awww jobaba what is your age range you want? And any race? You said you are Asian. Do like any Asians? I know some very cute Asians on here. I think you should talk to one of them.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm confused. What's the difference? Most really rich people are self-employed.
A lot of people go to work and "put in their time." They may have some successes and personal achievements at work and "move up the ladder." (Or not!)...During their off-hours they might watch TV or play golf or visit with grandkids or work in their garden etc. In other words they may have some hobbies...Being self-employed is different. (And I'm talking about all forms of self-employment: Singing in a band; being an artist; designing web-sites for a living; working as a freelance writer; owning and operating a store or restaurant etc.) When people are self-employed they have to keep coming up with new ideas and inventing things all the time. It's a "24 hour job!" It's a completely different lifestyle compared to people who work in regular jobs...This type of lifestyle doesn't fit everyone. This is why it helps to have a partner with the same mindset and dedication to remaining self-employed.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
A lot of people go to work and "put in their time." They may have some successes and personal achievements at work and "move up the ladder." (Or not!)...During their off-hours they might watch TV or play golf or visit with grandkids or work in their garden etc. In other words they may have some hobbies...Being self-employed is different. (And I'm talking about all forms of self-employment: Singing in a band; being an artist; designing web-sites for a living; working as a freelance writer; owning and operating a store or restaurant etc.) When people are self-employed they have to keep coming up with new ideas and inventing things all the time. It's a "24 hour job!" It's a completely different lifestyle compared to people who work in regular jobs...This type of lifestyle doesn't fit everyone. This is why it helps to have a partner with the same mindset and dedication to remaining self-employed.
Yes, and again, many (if not most) wealthy people are self-employed. They own and run their own businesses. They know about putting their life and soul and 24 hours and sacrifice into it.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes, and again, many (if not most) wealthy people are self-employed. They own and run their own businesses. They know about putting their life and soul and 24 hours and sacrifice into it.
I'm not interested in the "corporate setting." "Fortune 500" people start corporations to produce their products and nationalize their services etc.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I'm not interested in the "corporate setting." "Fortune 500" people start corporations to produce their products and nationalize their services etc.
I think you have the wrong idea here. Yes, some of them will eventually be successful enough to have multinational corporate offices, etc, but a lot of them run their business out of a store front or even their homes.

Our business has a 'corporate office,' but it is one floor of offices and I probably go there twice a year, max. Or for a big board meeting. Some of my other partners go there once a month for smaller, maintenance board meetings, but it's not a daily thing. There is no corporate culture.

Several friends of mine have businesses where there is no central office outside of where the services are provided to the customers.

If you're trying to say you prefer poor business owners, then say so. But rich does not mean suit and tie and office dbag.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:33 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Let's say for argument's sake, you meet someone and get to know them for a good period of time. Some of their qualities attract you and you begin to start to thinking about them.

The only problem is ... he/she is clearly out of your league, physically.

Maybe he/she is a certain race or ethnicity that usually is not attracted to yours, or is just much better looking. In other words, they are quite far from what you have dated and had success with in the past.

In addition, you know that you are nowhere near the 'type' that person has dated in the past.

Do you go for it, or rationalize that your chances are probably slim to none.
If I liked her, I tried. She either say yes or not. The worst is a not of course but from my standpoint I never died after a no, on with life. Take care.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:01 PM

118 posts, read 218,476 times
I usually do not like turn of phrases... but is it out of your league, or just perhaps a different league?

I think when we find someone attractive we should have to evaluate potential interest level. There is no way around it. Should I keep admiring that person from afar, or go for it? I think most of us has had a crush on a friend in the past. I know I have.

I love how people declare that there are no leagues yet a few breaths later criticize people for being too picky by physical, occupational or lifestyle preferences and then criticize others for having some characteristics that they do not find attractive.

We all have interests and lifestyle preferences. Before the approach there should be evaluation. There is nothing wrong with crushing on someone. It is rather fun, but one should realize if there is compatibility there.

For example, I am very much a city girl. I embrace all aspects of the city (the noise, diversity, etc etc). No matter how charming, physically attractive, smart and/or successful a good ole country boy is... The compatibility is not going to be there. Or a negative about me.. I am a tad more high maintenance about appearance and activities I like to do... So I would not really gel well (on a romantic level) with someone who is very casual in their appearance and approach to life.

And it is just about that chemistry and attraction when other factors are present.

For the OP, I read you approached and was rejected... It is difficult and probably for her too. I had a good friend who continues to make a move on me. He is what I considered a good friend and I have had blunt conversations that I am not interested in anything beyond that. Yet, he seemed to ignore that about every one or two months. The conversations are usually there if we all pay attention... Men ask women to be more blunt... yet there is a fine line between blunt and hurtful. Sometimes a crush should stay a crush. Feel out the situation more, flirt and read response. My friendship with this guy was permanently damaged because he failed to listen to me.

There is such a thing as leagues (and to deny that is to deny and belittle our personal preferences and attraction by nature).... It is all around us in every day life (always has been and always will be) and, in a way, we define ourselves by what league we opt to be in and adopting those traits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships