Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:03 PM

140 posts, read 120,883 times

Advertisements

I'm a young college educated (black American) professional woman.

I'm very observant, and I've noticed (for some odd reason), people tend to usually react in a negative fashion towards me. Perhaps it's because I make them uncomfortable. For the record, there is nothing inherently intimidating about my presence. I'm actually quite petite. I take a great deal of pride in my appearance, as well as my professional work.

I've been told that I look 10 to 13 years younger than my actual age. Most people would probably mistake me for an 18 year old (in appearance alone). Much of this is due to the fact that I have never drank any form of alcohol or used any illicit drugs. I absolutely abhor bars, clubs, and lounges. Also, I must admit that genetics plays a role as well. I have dark skin; therefore, I'm less prone to age. I've noticed that other women in their late 20's/ early 30's (particularly white women) often look closer to 40 something. I'm wondering if this plays any role in why I'm perceived so negatively?

When I show up at meetings in my professional suits and heels, people seem to always take a double look. It's almost as if they are uncomfortable with confronting the realization that black American women are not a monolithic group. I strongly dislike rap/hip hop because it promotes the most destructive images of black women around the world. Unfortunately, people who have never even encountered a black woman, will often believe that we are all about partying and sex. I take a great deal of pride in my overall appearance and I go out of my way to dispel the negative stereotypes that are often associated with black women. I tend to be very conservative (in the truest sense). I would never engage in any form of pre-marital sex!

I do however realize that we are all individuals; therefore, I never judge others. I'm simply wondering why people tend to judge me so harshly. It's very odd, but sometimes I get the feeling that people are uncomfortable because I do not fit the 'sassy/finger snapping/ghetto' stereotype.

It's very sad that conservative black women, such as myself are ostracized for having values and morals.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:09 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Sounds like you have an inferiority complex...

Old 10-22-2011, 09:10 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Just a question; do certain racial groups judge you more harshly than others?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Sounds like you have an inferiority complex...
I do not have an inferiority complex. I am simply asking why people dislike black conservative women.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Just a question; do certain racial groups judge you more harshly than others?
In truth, I have observed that whites, Asian Americans and black males seem to be the most uncomfortable in my presence.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:17 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2013 View Post
In truth, I have observed that whites, Asian Americans and black males seem to be the most uncomfortable in my presence.
Do any males feel comfortable around you?

Hmmmmmm

Old 10-22-2011, 09:18 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
I do not have an inferiority complex. I am simply asking why people dislike black conservative women.

**Moderator cut **

You state part of the evidence of their dislike is their reaction when you walk into a room in professional business attire. How do they know you are personally conservative in views or politics from that?

What makes you assume that black women who don't "fit the stereotype" are conservative?

And where do you live that a black woman in a professional work environment gets treated like an oddity for looking the part of a respectable professional? Certainly isn't that way where I live.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 10-23-2011 at 07:44 AM..

Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Do any males feel comfortable around you?

Hmmmmmm
Yes, I've observed that most males act a bit strange around me. I'm not sure why, because I'm a nice person (just very conservative in terms of my values).

Old 10-22-2011, 09:21 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
Quote:

I'm not sure what you are dealing with. I grew up in a super white, conservative area, and I was friends with one of the only black kids at my highschool. She fit right in. No problems. I also went to school for nursing in Oklahoma City, and at least half the class was black, and nobody fit the stereotype of blacks in America that you see on TV. I got along fine with all of them. They were conservative, enough. I did have a friend from Nigeria in my class, and she was an aloof sort of person. She once said something about how she didn't fit in with American blacks, but I didn't see much difference between her and the other people in my class. She was a quiet sort.

I don't mind a conservative or liberal person, no matter the color, as long as they are decent, kindhearted people.

It could depend on where you live, I guess.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:25 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
I go out of my way to dispel the negative stereotypes that are often associated with black women.
**Moderator cut** perhaps the quoted plays a part. Are you irritatingly preachy?

Last edited by sunshineleith; 10-23-2011 at 07:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships