Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:58 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Curios where this country is going when people don't have the stones to do ugly things in person for fear of having to deal with "drama"

Jeez.

These younger guys are f ing wimps, completely and utterly... not all of course, but damn, a whole bunch of them are, and no,I'm not some old cranky guy.
"Drama" today could be a loaded gun, a few guys waiting to jump him, or something else tragic that is triggered by a moment of high emotions. I don't think it's about being wimps than about being safe.

To the OP, the best thing you can do in this case is to let it go and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 12:05 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
"Drama" today could be a loaded gun, a few guys waiting to jump him, or something else tragic that is triggered by a moment of high emotions. I don't think it's about being wimps than about being safe.

To the OP, the best thing you can do in this case is to let it go and move on.
Guns and rampages have been around for a long time, just do a little research on the web, remember Charles Whitman????

While I agree you need to use caution in life, we're talking about apples and oranges here. You can't meet someone in a coffee shop and discuss things for fear of guns and being jumped??

Charles Whitman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-30-2011, 12:06 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Why do people keep saying that him breaking up with her via text is "cowardly"? Whether you like it or not texting is now a accepted form of communication for people my age and younger. Most of the time when I communicate with some one it's through text, I rarely talk to to people on the phone. Even if this guy would have broke up with her on the phone or in person, people would still have called him a jerk.
You are correct in that it is a form of communication. You are INCORRECT if you think it is appropriate to be used for anything more than a casual one-line message, such as "be there in 5 min", or "running late", or "love you", or " what size", or "can you pick up eggs on way home", or etc., etc.

Quote:
Doing it via text is better you don't have to deal with all the drama.
Ummm....helloo? That's the cowardly part everyone is talking about. Obviously, you've not matured enough to grasp that.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
You are correct in that it is a form of communication. You are INCORRECT if you think it is appropriate to be used for anything more than a casual one-line message, such as "be there in 5 min", or "running late", or "love you", or " what size", or "can you pick up eggs on way home", or etc., etc.

Ummm....helloo? That's the cowardly part everyone is talking about. Obviously, you've not matured enough to grasp that.
I'd rep you a thousand points for that if I could.

Too me, it's one of those things that if you have to explain something as simple and basic as common courtesy, they just aren't gonna get it.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:11 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Curios where this country is going when people don't have the stones to do ugly things in person for fear of having to deal with "drama"

Jeez.

These younger guys are f ing wimps, completely and utterly... not all of course, but damn, a whole bunch of them are, and no,I'm not some old cranky guy.
I guarantee if you seen me in street somewhere you wouldn't call me a "f cking whimp" to my face, so calm down with all the tough guy talk.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I guarantee if you seen me in street somewhere you wouldn't call me a "f cking whimp" to my face, so calm down with all the tough guy talk.
Yeah, its easy to be a tough guy on the web... I've seen it a million times, and I ain't being a "tough" guy. Just stating facts.

I don't care how big or tough you think you are, there is still someone who is tougher, I've learned that the hard way in life, I've shot my mouth off and had my ass handed to me for it.

I still say that is a coward ass way of dealing with things, sending a friggin text to break up with someone after a year. If you can't see that, then we have nothing more to discuss.

Sorry if that offends.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:19 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:

That's the reality of the world we live in today, whether it's getting tuned down for a job or a bank loan through e-mail or being dumped by text. I can't help it it if some of you people are stuck inthe stone age. And apparently even people n their 40's do it as well see op for reference.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:25 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
That's the reality of the world we live in today, whether it's getting tuned down for a job or a bank loan through e-mail or being dumped by text. I can't help it it if some of you people are stuck inthe stone age. And apparently even people n their 40's do it as well see op for reference.
No one here is referencing the "stone age". I'm a technology geek, and can probably dance circles around you in that arena. What we are talking about here is COMMUNICATION. It's something that you, as a young and inexperienced person, will learn, one day. If you have any success at all, either personally, or professionally, you'll learn how to properly communicate with others. Godspeed on that.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
That is exactly the purpose of texting, not to have a friggin full on conversation.

Things get lost in translation, tone, inflection, non verbal cues.

I've heard of a bunch of stories where miscommunication occurs because of texting... if there had been a simple phone call things might have been different.

Yes, I know it doesn't mean all people are gonna die through text messages, just saying...

Man killed friend in row over mis-spelt text message | Mail Online

Old 10-30-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
LOL,

I've been involved in technology since Windows 3.0.

Back then, we were impressed when a hard drive was 40 megs.

Ram memory being 1 meg at the time, techies were practically dancing in the streets.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships